What's new

My 1st Razor Purchase - NEWBIE MEMBER!

Hello Forum Members!

This forum seems to be a VERY NICE GENTLEMANLY forum site. I have been reading threads and learning a lot for the last month. Well done guys! I am not sure if there are other LADIES out there ... but ... here goes?!

As a NEWBIE this week on these FORUMS, I thought I would share my first RAZOR PURCHASE link. I just received my first GILLETTE POCKET EDITION SET in the mail and it is SO NICE and I am so excited!

Vintage Gillette Pocket Edition Razor w/ Gold Plated American Button Co. Handle | eBay

My husband and I have collected ANTIQUES for almost 40 years ... since high school. I LOVE displaying "UNIQUE" ITEMS in my DIVERSIFIED ANTIQUE COLLECTION ... but this is my very first RAZOR purchase. I cannot believe how ORNATE and BEAUTIFUL it is! I personally like this GOLD FLORAL case and SCROLL RAZOR HANDLE the best of the POCKET EDITION designs, too! This fits PERFECTLY as my first GILLETTE piece of history for display with my ANTIQUE BOOK COLLECTIONS on my Victorian shelves. I did a lot of research first (via your GREAT THREADS!!) ... THANKS SO MUCH!!! I know I paid a lot in the eBay bid war, but it was worth it to me. The search is now over for a wonderful piece of OLD GILLETTE HISTORY. I bought it off an older Collector of 30 years and I was very happy with the condition as it is DISPLAY READY. I will admire it for many years to come. Unfortunately, it does not have the information on the bottom of the FLORAL case so it is NOT "ABC" case. On the other hand, it does appear to have a HEAVY "SOLID(?)" SCROLL HANDLE even though the serial number is K 347955. Does anyone have any possible explanations for this late of a SN?

As a NEW GILLETTE COLLECTOR, I would welcome both GOOD or BAD comments that anyone is willing to share. I would love to learn more about my very first purcahse. I believe that information from more experienced collectors is the best way to learn as a NEWBIE ...

I am not sure what is PROPER, but I thought that I should also post this in the Double edge NEW ACQUISITIONS and maybe the POCKET EDITION RAZOR thread for more specific advice? All of the threads are still a little confusing for me to navigate ...

Spring Blessings To All,

Vicki

Glad you joined the site. There are a few other ladies here. Plus, some of our wives, such as mine, use a DE razor for legs and underarms. I can't tell you about the razor, but it's nice to have you on the forums.

Sent via mobile

Welcome! That's a great looking razor that I'd not previously seen. Do you or your husband plan to use vintage razors or just collect them for display?

Thanks for all of the nice comments so far! They are all appreciated.

Glad to hear I am NOT the only lady here.

The dating link is helpful. Thanks. By that it shows it is 1919 (almost 100 years old!).

As far as shaving ... we have not thought about that yet ... but you never know?
As antique collectors, it was more for DISPLAY as it is SO INTRICATE, nothing like the ugly plastics now!

Now I want to look into my dad's and grandad's old razors! Such QUALITY BACK THEN!

Thanks for all of the nice comments so far! They are all appreciated.

Glad to hear I am NOT the only lady here.

The dating link is helpful. Thanks. By that it shows it is 1919 (almost 100 years old!).

As far as shaving ... we have not thought about that yet ... but you never know?
As antique collectors, it was more for DISPLAY as it is SO INTRICATE, nothing like the ugly plastics now!

Now I want to look into my dad's and grandad's old razors! Such QUALITY BACK THEN!
If you decide to use a DE razor for shaving, I would recommend a longer handled one, such as a Gillette Lady Star razors. My wife enjoys the DE better than the cartridge razors and the shave cream is a lot better than moisturizing.

Sent via mobile

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Be careful, Viki. Most folks here will tell you that you've just acquired RAD (razor aquisition disorder). I can attest it's addictive! Nice find, by the way.

Thanks again everyone for all of the friendly replies!

I just may have to try one of the VINTAGE razors one day. Thanks for the LADY suggestions.

I will have to check out the Hall of Fame. Thanks for the invite.

I did see RAD previously and I wondered what it meant. Now I know. If I get any more "AQUISITION DISORDERS", I may have to buy a BIGGER HOUSE?! I can see how it is addictive, though. Now I will be TREASURE HUNTING at the estate sales and garage sales while antiquing. They sure made some wonderful QUALITY RAZORS in the past ...

Blessings,

Vicki

Welcome to B&B. I assume you've seen both of the following threads, but I'll link them just in case.

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors
Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

My suspicion regarding the SN is that it's not original to that handle. Not uncommon. The teeth get bent and/or broken so people find a better comb to replace it with. Could have been done by the guy who sold it to you, to make a beautiful display piece. Could have been done ninety years ago by the original owner. In any case it's a beautiful razor. Congrats.

Thanks again everyone for all of the friendly replies, welcomes, and advice.
I am definitely excited about my first Pocket Edition Razor purchase and I am learning a lot about it.

In my first week on the forum, have already learned so much info from so many knowledgeable members.
Thanks for being so friendly and willing to help us NEWBIES!

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

Welcome to B&B. I assume you've seen both of the following threads, but I'll link them just in case.

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors
Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

My suspicion regarding the SN is that it's not original to that handle. Not uncommon. The teeth get bent and/or broken so people find a better comb to replace it with. Could have been done by the guy who sold it to you, to make a beautiful display piece. Could have been done ninety years ago by the original owner. In any case it's a beautiful razor. Congrats.

wgn!,

Thanks for sharing both of those threads. Those threads are actually how I found this forum. I did a GOOGLE SEARCH about Gillette Pocket Edition Sets when I found the one on eBay that looked so nice. Unfortunately, many others were bidding on it, too?!! No regrets, though! GOOGLE sent me to those threads. Thankfully, I found those threads and read them both BEFORE my purchase. It seemed like it took FOREVER to read them ... both but so very informative. As a NEWBIE it was a whole lot to take in and I did NOT understand it all. However, they are a tremendous collection of Pocket Edition facts, data and photos. I have since gone back several times for reference and I am sure I will many more times, too.

Thanks for your input on my new set, too!

GREAT JOB EVERYONE for creating such a wealth of information on this forum ... and sharing it with others.
What I have seen in my first week as a NEW MEMBER is a GREAT BUNCH of GUYS and GALS!
:a29:

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

Top Bottom