What's new

MWF vs Tabac

I've found an Vintage Chemist in the next town from mine and am going to head over there to buy a new soap.

What would you get?

MWF (The Kent Rebrand) or Tabac (In the Glass Tub)?

Cheers!
SS

Tabac is much more cooperative then MWF. It consistently provides awesome shaves. Also I love the smell. MWF takes more work and does not always cooperate.

MWF: Smells like soap

Tabac: Smells.....unique

I think Tabac is the friendly to lather of the two, for what its worth

Both are great soaps and at moderate cost (refill pucks are about $ 14 - $ 15 online). I find that the mwf is slightly harder to lather and that the puck shrinks and hairline cracks more as it is used in its mug, but it gives me smoother skin and slightly greater protection from nicks and irritation. I also stop bleeding faster if I get a slight nick when using mwf. Tabac lathers more easily and does not shrink and crack as much in its mug as it is used, and may be a bit more creamy. It is almost as protective as MWF. MWF and Tabac are currently my two favorite soaps, but there are dozens more that I have not had an opportunity to try. You cannot go wrong with either one unless you are unlucky and have an adverse skin reaction. I have no issues with either scent, but some users have had negative opinions related to their scent, but the scent quickly fades after shaving. Shaving performance trumps all other soap attributes with me. In this regard, you cannot lose with either one.

HTH

Last edited:
I would also vote for Tabac if I had to choose.

I have had better results with MWF, but I have also had worse results. This is the only thing I don't like about MWF. Some days it would barely lather for me; some days it would foam up into a stainless steel protective face barrier. I loved using it, but I have very sensitive skin, so I favor consistency over potential.

Whichever one you choose, though, I'm certain you will be thrilled, as I was with both.

MWF to me might just be the finest puck soap on the market! Of course you could save a ton of money and get a few sticks of Arko- maybe the best overall shaving soap on the market!

I've found an Vintage Chemist in the next town from mine and am going to head over there to buy a new soap.

What would you get?

MWF (The Kent Rebrand) or Tabac (In the Glass Tub)?

Cheers!
SS
Hold the phone:badger:

If you are looking to get Tabac in the glass jar, why not get a refill puck of both Tabac and MWF for around the same price. Sure the glass jar is nice and all, but I bet you can't turn it into lather! If you buy the refill pucks, you get the same product and can easily place them in any container of your choosing. If the Chemist doesn't offer the refill pucks, just order online.

MWF. Once you get the hang of making lather with it, it provides a superb shave. All of that without the "scent" from Tabac.

I haven't used Tabac, but MWF is hands-down my favorite soap. That said, and as others have said, it is a bit temperamental. Most days it lathered up into a kevlar vest of protection, and some other days it turned into a dry foam that collapsed like a flan in a cupboard. It can be tricky, and from what I've heard Tabac lathers if you give it a hard look. My vote is for MWF.

I say both. Those two are my favorite and the only ones that I stock up on. If you can get only one (you really should get both!) then go for MWF first.

I went with the MWF (Kent Brand) and have decided i can't live without the Tabac so will be heading back at the weekend to pick up some more.

They have quite a few things actually. TOBS, A LOT of Edwin Jagger products and quite a few Merkur Razors... A Very nice find! :001_tt1:

I have and use both, and get awesome shaves from both. But, if I had to choose, it would be MWF. 'The Fat' is legendary for a good reason.

I'd vote for Tabac as to ease of lather making but while I loved the scent one of my pucks turned sour and the scent just got plain rotten. MWF has a nice clean, soapy scent and while I didn't have much trouble making lather with it I just couldn't make it creamy and rich like I like it. I had very hard water at the time. Now that I have soft water I'd like to give the Fat another go. Personally I'd splurge on the glass jar for either soap. You only pay for it once. The MWF jar is really nice looking.

Top Bottom