What's new

MWF Users Please Help

I have been using MWF for a couple of years.

Typically …. When I replace the puck, I will see it gradually expand.

Currently I am using a puck that is approximately 4-6 weeks old and have kept it moist.

My issue is that the puck hasn’t expanded at all and it hasn’t adhered to the bottom of the glass container.

It lathers normally but it’s annoying that it moves around every shave.

Is this puck a dud?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I don't know if you got a dud or knot, but I know I have the most success when the puck is well hydrated. I suspect that you have not been able to get it hydrated enough yet. Try getting some water on top of the puck, maybe even as much as 1/8" above the top, and allow that to soak in without pouring much if any off. It may take a few days.

I suspect that you have not been able to get it hydrated enough yet. Try getting some water on top of the puck, maybe even as much as 1/8" above the top, and allow that to soak in without pouring much if any off. It may take a few days.
So Hydrated! ..... until it's not. I'm convinced the stuff could literally petrify to archaeological proportions without hydration.

My issue is that the puck hasn’t expanded at all and it hasn’t adhered to the bottom of the glass container.
It lathers normally but it’s annoying that it moves around every shave.
Is this puck a dud?
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
I use MWF in a larger container on purpose. Just remove the puck, put some warm water in the container and drop the puck inside. Swash it around a few times then press it hard on the bottom of the container. Drain the excess water and leave it until next day. In my experience the puck will stay put. My container is stainless and this might not work with glass.
Of all MWF pucks I have used so far none expanded, and if they did, it was not noticeable. If the lather is as expected (always outstanding from the MFW I used) then your puck is not a dud. I would not measure its performance based on how much it expands. In my opinion, soaking any shaving soap is a bad idea.
Good luck.

I would suggest not soaking the puck. You could take the dry puck out of the container, take some shavings from the puck and soak them in a few drops of water in the empty container until the shavings soften so you can smear it around the bottom of the container then put your puck back in on top of that and press it down and it'll stick. Then just using it regularly keeps it plenty hydrated without soaking it.

I know that MWF needs to be regularly used to keep the soap from cracking, but I don’t go as far as soaking the puck.
Using it once a week seems to be enough.

Pressing the puck down hard, as suggested, may help.
If not, I’d just use my left thumb to keep the puck from swirling around in its ceramic bowl until it settles down.

B.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

I soaked the puck for 24 hours and nothing happened.

The good news is that it lathers just like any other MWF refill.

I will just have to deal with a sliding puck until it’s finished.

Take Care!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

I soaked the puck for 24 hours and nothing happened.

The good news is that it lathers just like any other MWF refill.

I will just have to deal with a sliding puck until it’s finished.

Take Care!

You can "glue" the puck to the bottom of the container by grating some soap flakes from off the bottom of the puck, putting them into the container, wetting them, then pressing the puck into the container. The puck is less likely to become "unglued" as it dries this way.

Top Bottom