What's new

MWF Question

So after reading on B&B about how great Mitchells's Wool Fat is I knew I had to get some. After reading du212's tutorial on lathering it I've totally fallen in love.

My question though is if anyone has had any experience with the soap cracking? Mine hasn't but I have seen it mentioned before. I keep my water cool and at room temp as I've heard the hot water can deplete the lanolin. Thanks in advance for the feedback! :thumbup1:

Just noticed today that there's a crack in my soap, no idea why, as you I have kept my water at room temp.

Yeah I have very minor cracks along the edge but that's it. I'm hoping it doesn't affect how it lathers. Haven't shaved yet today to test but it was still excellent last night! :w00t:

So after reading on B&B about how great Mitchells's Wool Fat is I knew I had to get some. After reading du212's tutorial on lathering it I've totally fallen in love.

My question though is if anyone has had any experience with the soap cracking? Mine hasn't but I have seen it mentioned before. I keep my water cool and at room temp as I've heard the hot water can deplete the lanolin. Thanks in advance for the feedback! :thumbup1:

Lanolin melts at ~38ºC...a tad warmer than body temperature. So, if you use water hotter than this to soak the soap in, then it is conceivable to melt lanolin away. I think the best thing to do is use a moist brush (not wet) to load the brush with soap...this way, you only use up what gets on the brush

Hope this helps

Cracks are normal for MWF. Just lather away and all will be fine.

You would have to heat the whole puck damn hot to do anyting to lanolin....it melting away is just not even a remote possibility.

Cracks are normal for MWF. Just lather away and all will be fine.

You would have to heat the whole puck damn hot to do anyting to lanolin....it melting away is just not even a remote possibility.

Hah k good. I keep the water pretty cool. I just discovered last night that lathering with varying degrees of pressure makes the lather much much better. I'll try the dry puck damp brush tonight.

I have cracks in mine too. It just gives it character.

Hah that gave me a good laugh :lol:

Who cares what the puck looks like, MWF gives great shaves. :thumbup1:

+1

My MWF was transplanted to an Old Spice mug and sits uncovered between uses. The top looks like crazy paving with all the cracks but it still works exactly the same as when I started it.:001_smile

Shaved with it this am and all was well! :thumbup: seriously though, it provides so much cushion I had to check my blade angle to be sure it was cutting hah :laugh:

There was a thread here at one time that recommended soaking MWF to improve lathering perhaps for those with hard water. I don't recommend that practice and find it unnecessary. MWF is a great soap. Mine resides in the MWF ceramic dish and I am very fond of this fine soap, cracks and all.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

Mine has small cracks on the surface, but that's normal, no reason to panic. The soap performs just well and lather tremendously, and that's what really matters :biggrin1:

Top Bottom