What's new

MWF Irritation

Has anyone else experienced skin irritation when using MWF? I really like the scent and the lather but when I finish it leaves my skin red and sore. If I have red correctly Cella has tallow in it so I don't believe it is that but I am wondering if I am just a weird case. I am going to try again but after that, MWF is unfortunately getting retired to the cabinet.

Does cella not have lanolin in it? I have a pretty limited experience with soaps so it includes C&E, Proraso, Cella, and MWF. I imagine those other don't have lanolin in them because they don't bother me at all.

This thread should be of interest.

Ingredient list of MWF.

Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate,
Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl
Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium
Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium
EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Last edited:
Lanolin reaction is very rare, you may be sensitive to some of the fragrance compounds in the soap. I had a "funny" irritation the first time I used Da Fat, but it turned out to be brush burn. I would take a bit if time to "recover" and try it again, and see what happens. Do you get any sort of similar reaction to other soaps/cream? If you suspect lanolin is the issue after using MWF again, and having the same reaction you could always confirm with another lanolin containing soap. If you react to two lanolin e soaps it would be safe to say that lanolin is something you should avoid.

Actually I misspoke above, I do have a sensitivity to vegetable glycerine. I reacted to LA Shaving company Woody Lavender, I then bought some pure veg glycerine and used it in a super lather, even worse reaction. I then used Kiss My Face hand cream on my "elbow pit" and had a reaction. All three products contain veg glycerine.

Hope it was just a one off and your able to use MWF.

Sorry to hear of your issues Cader, but as others have said some people something in the Fat bothers their skin, there are other great soaps out there.

The next try hopefully will yield some better results. The only thing that mildly irritates my skin but not near as bad is C&E West Indian Lime cream. I will have to see if any of the ingredients match up. Thanks for the help guys.

I've had da fat in my rotation for over a year, and it just recently started irritating my skin. Very strange and, for me, it's a nightmare come true! I've had the reaction twice, so I still plan on continuing to try. I know it isn't the lanolin because I still use Mike's without an issue.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Test some on your skin in an area you're not scraping with a blade and see if you get a similar reaction -- the inside of your arm, for example. Then you'll know if it's the soap.

Test some on your skin in an area you're not scraping with a blade and see if you get a similar reaction -- the inside of your arm, for example. Then you'll know if it's the soap.
That's a great idea. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I'll have to try that as well and see how it goes. I have used it before without irritation and like mwhitcraft I just recently have noticed it.

I'll have to try that as well and see how it goes. I have used it before without irritation and like mwhitcraft I just recently have noticed it.

Good idea. It may also be that your shaving experience is different in winter. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Mesa, AZ but if the weather becomes cooler and dryer your lather can be adversely effected.

I share the OP's reaction to MWF. Sadly, I had to remove the wonderful Fat from my house entirely because I kept trying to "make it work" for me and failed. The lather and the scent are really that good and it made me want to keep giving it a chance several times a week only to experience the same results over and over again.

Some of us are simply not meant for MWF.

Frank

Top Bottom