What's new

MWF container art

Gents,

I've always thought the MWF ceramic container, in spite of its obvious attempts to look "vintage," appears very 1970s (in which decade nostalgia for the earlier 20th century was a big thing). I was doing some browsing on vintage toothpaste and look what I found - could it be that this was the inspiration for the MWF container?

Please correct me if you happen to know much more about this and I am off-track; the knowledge base on these boards about things like this is frequently astonishing.

Attachments

• vintage toothpaste.jpg
    vintage toothpaste.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 91
i have no knowledge about the MWF shave soap art!
But it is definitely different style than their other current soaps.
Certainly reflects the graphic art style at the (prior) turn of the century!

proxy.php

My impression was it's sort of an homage to their turn-of-the-century formula (1893), based on original examples of the style:

proxy.php

Good eye. It appears that the shaving soap came about after 1979 along with the ceramic container. The following is from the U.S. distributors website:

Then, with the formulation of a Wool Fat Shaving soap in the works, it was another innovation from Camwrap that helped guarantee its success: this was the introduction and design of the ceramic shaving dish and packaging, which came about only after much research by Michael Brown into early Victorian and Celtic design.

Top Bottom