What's new

MWF - Boring, or what?

In what way? There's not much scent true, but I love the great shaves with it!

Last edited:
Now that you mention ... yeah, you're right.

Then again, so is generic Witch Hazel ... but no shave-den should be without it.

I like to turbo-charge my MWF by mixing it with Musgo Real cream. The double dose of Lanolin gives a really smooth shave. (Use LOTS of water to make a sloppy-wet lather.) And the two subtle scents blend together rather nicely. Finish it off with MR asl and its a good way to start the day.

Can't disagree with the remarks about the superb lather and excellent shaves! None better! I come back to it again and again. If only there was something I could do to liven it up a bit. Maybe add some fragrant oils of some kind?

Actually, I've just thought of one that might be even more boring - I think it might be Dutch - 'Vergulde Hande'(?). That doesn't even have the saving grace of a great lather.

Last edited:
I kind of like the smell. Or absence thereof. Really, smell is nice but not necessary. Which of us would continue using a soap that smells awesome but doesn't shave well? Me? I'd rather no smell and great shaves.

All my shaves for the last couple weeks have been with Institut Karite. I have never shaved with MWF, but I would put IK up there for the boring part.

If you consider superb shaves boring, then yes, MWF is the single most boring soap out there.

I wish more soaps were just as boring. :tongue_sm :biggrin:

I know that, that's not what you meant, but honestly, I just can't not like MWF. In fact, it has slowly become my favorite, go-to, soap, the anchor of my rotation.

The scent, well, I've come to like the fact that it has that soapy scent and nothing more elaborate. Why, well, most fantastic scents I have tried leave my face a little beat up, either dry, or irritated (I'm looking at you Cade).

Maybe I will start superlathering it with Speick, but then again, maybe that would be dangerous, like doing heroin and coke at the same time. . .

Can't disagree with the remarks about the superb lather and excellent shaves! None better! I come back to it again and again. If only there was something I could do to liven it up a bit. Maybe add some fragrant oils of some kind?

Actually, I've just thought of one that might be even more boring - I think it might be Dutch - 'Vergulde Hande'(?). That doesn't even have the saving grace of a great lather.

Ahhh... the old Vergulde Hand...

proxy.php

Very old Dutch brand.
And indeed, once again YMMV.

From TSD:

Magnificent is the right word for this soap. It lathers so easily, the scent is pure elegant, exotic, and gentlemanly, and a godsend for sensitive skin. A soap like this will turn a shaving hater into a shaving lover!

Lathers quickly, lathers easily, with a scent that'll make the ladies swoon.

Ahhh... the old Vergulde Hand...

proxy.php

Very old Dutch brand.
And indeed, once again YMMV.

From TSD:

Magnificent is the right word for this soap. It lathers so easily, the scent is pure elegant, exotic, and gentlemanly, and a godsend for sensitive skin. A soap like this will turn a shaving hater into a shaving lover!

Lathers quickly, lathers easily, with a scent that'll make the ladies swoon.

I actually really like the scent of De Vergulde Hand. Tallow based soap, nice old worldy, manly scent. Decent lather. Not on the level of a Tabac or MWF, but for 4 Euros you can't go wrong.

I think it's one of the more complex shaving soaps out there and by far the hardest to generate a good lather from. If nothing else, figuring it out kept me reaching for it until I finally did.

I can't handle soaps with too much scent--irritates the lips/skin sometimes (AoS unscented never-ever irritates my skin). MWF and Tabac are my next two buys (and probably the only ones I will need). I was thinking about picking up a tube of Trumper's Rose to superlather with, though.

Btw, how is the Tabac scent? I hope not too strong.

I been using MWF for almost a week now, while it does not have a powerful scent, I prefer subtle scents and I really do appreciate (OK, becoming addicted to) the super smooth shave I get from it. As for creating lather, I treat it as a zen project.

MWF along with Proraso could become my two soaps of choice once the CE Sienna and Mama Bears Aged Spice are done.

Samouraï;1395693 said:
Btw, how is the Tabac scent? I hope not too strong.

Sorry, Tabac does indeed have a fairly strong scent. Some love it, some hate it, but there's no denying its presence. :biggrin:

That doesn't even have the saving grace of a great lather.

Isn't that the raison d'etre of a soap, rather than saving grace?

To echo some other commets, I really enjoy the understated, soapy cleanness of the scent. Added to its thus far unmatched performance, its my fave. soap. :001_smile

Top Bottom