What's new

MWF - Boring, or what?

I don't really like the scent of MWF, but I don't hate it either. I do like the way the lather looks once it gets going--a pleasing shade of off-white. And different in consistency than any other soap.

Not boring for me

Boring? This soap seems to stir a lot of passion and debate, at least in this forum. With many folks loving it, many hating it, and lots thinking it just takes too much effort to lather properly.

This thread made me smile. I used to consider MWF dreadfully boring!

But I've come to appreciate it's relative austerity. Shaves wonderfully, if a bit finicky from time to time. :001_smile

H

Hanzo

I don't think its boring its just basic the way apothecary style products with a history should be, that simpleness needs to be preserved. It really shouldn't be flash or glamorous or exciting. When I look at the long albeit commercial history of Williams I think it should have the quality of MWF , if it did one could have the history and the great lather.

I love an interesting scented shaving soap. But somehow MWF, Old Spice, and Yardley's end up being my favorites. None of them have much scent, but I love the performance. I probably go to MWF more than anything else.

H

Hanzo

Hi Millay

The full name is Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap. Original Formula 1893. Consensus seems to be that Kent soap is in fact MWF.

Hope you enjoy it.

I love everything about MWF. I have to force myself to use my other soaps (Penhaligon's EF, Pre de Provence, Tabac) because if given my druthers I'll rock a rotation of one.

I too love the Fat, I love the subtle smell, I love the packaging, but most important I love the shave. Most other soaps seem to irritate my skin and al creams I have tried seem to as well.
So I will be sticking with MWF for now.

I like to turbo-charge my MWF by mixing it with Musgo Real cream. The double dose of Lanolin gives a really smooth shave. (Use LOTS of water to make a sloppy-wet lather.) And the two subtle scents blend together rather nicely. Finish it off with MR asl and its a good way to start the day.

Do you add musgo at the beginning or after a lather has been formed?

chickpea said:
doing heroin and coke at the same time. . .

proxy.php
proxy.php

I know I'm late to the thread, but I can't resist:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Is MWF the most boring soap on the face of the earth, or what?

Yes...but as to quote Jim: "It has legions of fans..." so, that must mean something!

After June...mine has sat on the shelf. Too many other things to try, not enough time! The world is too large to use only one soap LOL!

Do you add musgo at the beginning or after a lather has been formed?
After a face-scrub, I rub some MWF directly onto my wet beard, and lather it up with the palm of my hand. Once the MWF lather is started, I put some Musgo Real cream on my hand and add it to the mix. Remember that Musgo is a very thirsty cream, so keep adding water until you get a sloppy-wet consistency.

I rinse off the right hand to shave with, and keep my left hand full of lather until I'm done. There's always enough left around the edges or stuck in my goatee to do 3 or 4 passes.

After rinsing and a cold-water splash, I finish it off with MR splash.

This is by no means the only recipe for MWF+MR, but it works well for me.

Top Bottom