What's new

Mutton vs Beef tallow

Is mutton tallow better than beef tallow? How about duck tallow? Is there really any difference in performance between these animal tallows?

I couldn’t tell the difference between mutton and beef. Last year I picked up a few soaps from Stirling, some of which were beef and some were mutton. It’s been nearly six months since I shaved with them (I used them in the shower after a few shaves because I didn’t like the scents) and I don’t recall a significant difference in the shave performance of any of them.

A great shave is a result of a lot of factors, including those beyond lather/blade/brush/post-shave stuff. Tallow isn't necessary a magical ingredient who give it automatically some superiority over non-tallow soaps. You can get a mediocre tallow soap and a wonderful vegetable (glycerin) soap.

So, mutton tallow over duck tallow or beef tallow...I doubt it makes any significant difference.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Romanex01!!

Interesting debate!!

I'll refer to a couple of experts!!

beef vs mutton tallow.jpg

I think they probably all have slightly different performance properties, but ultimately it depends on the overall formula the artisan is using for whether you get a good soap or a bad one.

Performance of Stirling mutton tallow/lanolin soaps is just great. I’ve also tried their beef tallow/beeswax soap, and for me its performance is good but not great. I don’t think the magic is all due to the lanolin, but more experiments are needed. 🤪

All of the assorted exotic tallows and fats are label appeal. If you are using lanolin or jojoba or butters for superfat (unsaponified fat), that's a different thing, but using this or that base fat...not so much. The fatty acid profiles of assorted tallow products are variable anyway, with one batch of tallow having a little more oleic or a little more stearic or whatever than another. In general, mutton might have a different profile than beef tallow, but given an ample percentage of stearic acid in the overall formula, you will have dense, stable lather. After that, other than superfat, it's about label appeal.

Honestly, unless you render the tallow yourself, what you buy as "tallow" might be a mix of fats from several different species, so long as it meets the proper fatty acid ranges for commodity tallow.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Beef fat is Tallow, Mutton/sheep fat is Suet, Pig fat is Lard and duck fat is expensive.All are fat and all are good. Suet has a scent I don’t care for. As to cooking, I strongly prefer lard and consume great quantities of it.

Is mutton tallow better than beef tallow? How about duck tallow? Is there really any difference in performance between these animal tallows?
For me, Stirling mutton produces a richer lather than their beef tallow and I prefer it. The tradeoff is a slight gaminess to it. I have a couple of duck fat soaps from Grooming Dept and my impression is a lighter but slick lather. You can get great performance from soap made from all three different types of fat.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters, in general. When Manufacturer A says they use Tallow Z, meh. It's all about the shave. Just with Stirling, I have and love the mutton (Stirling Sheep) and have and love the beef (so many others). I don't spend time obsessing over minor differences (I lie, because I post on B&B :)).

If I don't know how a soap performs, I don't really check ingredients. I check opinions here. If I am intrigued, then I get a sample if I can. Then I try the soap. Even if the scent is not to my liking, I get a sense of the soap base itself.

Do I think the Stirling Sheep feels better on the face than their beef. Yes. Could it be better for my skin? No data. Does the quality of my shave differ? No.

My default favorite soap right now is Murphy and McNeil. Can I tell the difference between the Kodiak base (bear and beef tallow) and their normal Aon base (beef tallow). Nope. Do I love them both? Yep.

I am no expert, but I have not really found a shave soap base that is anything other than great (MdC, M&M, Haslinger, Noble Otter, Wholly Kaw, Ariana and Evans, Stirling, etc.). Okay, my Monsavon soap is not ... up there. But it's fun! Do I have favorites? Of course. Do I think my non-favorites are not worthy of purchase. Ha ha ha ha ha. I just bought replacements tubs last month for those 'lessers'.

Enjoy the journey and exploration!

Top Bottom