What's new

Muting the tip

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just acquired a nice Double Duck off of the bay. Hi had Alfredo hone it up for me. I shaved with it this morning I loved the blade but not the tip. I know there are how to’s on muting it but I can’t find them.

If it's not a square-point, I would say leave it as is and learn from your mistakes at this stage. If you really need to mute it, then gently run the very tip through a wine cork three or four times. That should take the bite out of it.

Legion

Staff member
Take the spike and run it gently along the side of a hone to round it a little. You only need to take a tiny bit off to stop it snagging you.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If it's not a square-point, I would say leave it as is and learn from your mistakes at this stage. If you really need to mute it, then gently run the very tip through a wine cork three or four times. That should take the bite out of it.
My other str8s don’t have that square point. I am leaning toward muting it. I caught my ear this morning. Let’s say my styptic pencil got a work out.

Nobody can say @Doc226 does not hone a sharp razor. 😂

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I prefer my toes to be pointy and sharp.
IMG_20210203_140531.jpg
I suggest that you leave the toe on your DD as is and adjust your technique to shave with it safely.

A pointy and sharp toe on a Spanish point is great for those difficult-to-reach shaving areas like nostrils and ear canals.

Take the spike and run it gently along the side of a hone to round it a little. You only need to take a tiny bit off to stop it snagging you.
A piece of glass or your bathroom mirror will suffice if you don't have a hone. You only need a very light stroke to dull the very point.

If you want to accomplish it. It’s quite an easy task. If you have a fine stone. Just “gently” pass the tip on the side of the stone and that will take care of it for you.There are some YouTube videos on this.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
While learning, it’s not a bad idea to mute the point but soon enough it will not be necessary. I prefer round points but that is more of an aesthetic preference than a safety one. To mute will become moot you see.

My other str8s don’t have that square point. I am leaning toward muting it. I caught my ear this morning. Let’s say my styptic pencil got a work out.

Nobody can say @Doc226 does not hone a sharp razor. 😂

Did it pop by any chance??? when I did the same heard it pop, then bleed and at the time was on blood thinners. 2 hours it was before with trying to stop it, but had some stuff that is like a liquid plaster the wife kept putting it on my ear lobe the blowing to dry it.

Mine got muted as it only just brushed past it lesson learned.

Top Bottom