What's new

musty barbour jacket solutions

Just took delivery of a very nice Barbour 'Border' jacket in excellent condition. Unfortunately it has a rather pungent odour. I've heard spraying it with vodka helps. I'm. assuming this does not mean the waxed surface, so if it turns out that the wax has gone off I was just wondering how to remove the wax effectively, if I need to. I've applied wax to one before but never tried to remove it. Hopefully it may just need a good airing outdoors; in the meantime, if you guys have any tips I'm all ears. Thanks.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Airing it outside would get rid of most of the stink. How was it stored?? I have Barbours that are 30+ years old and do not have much of a odor, mostly I smell the wax - typical Barbour smell. I have mine hanging in a closet upstairs and some in the basement in a IKEA cabinet.

Airing it outside would get rid of most of the stink. How was it stored?? I have Barbours that are 30+ years old and do not have much of a odor, mostly I smell the wax - typical Barbour smell. I have mine hanging in a closet upstairs and some in the basement in a IKEA cabinet.
I got it from Ebay so not sure of it's history, but it's so clean I suspect it's spent a lot of time in storage rather than outdoors in the fresh air. I'm only an hours drive from the factory so if all else fails.....

Spraying it with vodka sounds like fun! I think that the wax is paraffin so it should go bad the way beeswax might. Probably the sun and air is the best bet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hopefully it may just need a good airing outdoors; in the meantime, if you guys have any tips I'm all ears. Thanks.

The below works pretty well. Turn it inside out and let it air out too.

Put it in the sun until too hot to comfortably touch.

If that fails, a fresh coat of wax makes mine smell brand new again. Its almost 30 years old now. These pics from its last waxing a couple years ago.

IMG_2233.JPG IMG_2237.JPG

Its a Lewis Creek wading jacket. Made by Barbour.

Spraying it with vodka sounds like fun! I think that the wax is paraffin so it should go bad the way beeswax might. Probably the sun and air is the best bet.
I'm not convinced it's the wax tbh. Candle wax doesn't seem to develop a smell no matter how old the candles are; maybe they're a different kind of wax, not sure.

I use an enzyme cleaner:

Revivex Odor Eliminator

Make a solution in a large bin, soak and hang until fully dry. Repeat a few times. May need to re-wax/proof afterwards.

The enzymes will "eat" mold and bacteria.

I have tried vodka, vinegar... Not really effective against the funk. Revivex is the only thing that worked.

Barbour also has a odor removal service.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips guys which i'm sure will prove useful in the future, but I've decided to send it back. The seller can try and demustify and relist it; which he should have done in the first place tbh.

I use an enzyme cleaner:

Revivex Odor Eliminator

Make a solution in a large bin, soak and hang until fully dry. Repeat a few times. May need to re-wax/proof afterwards.

The enzymes will "eat" mold and bacteria.

I have tried vodka, vinegar... Not really effective against the funk. Revivex is the only thing that worked.

Barbour also has a odor removal service.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Vacuuming with a brush attachment has helped.

I tried the enzyme, i tried vinegar, & i tried fresh air, to minimal effect.

(Sorry, old thread i know)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Leaving it in the sun seems like a good idea. Or sending it back to barbour is what I’d do.

The vodka idea works best if you spray it down your throat 😅😃

eBay purchase of Barbour Northumbria just arrived in mail. Missed this mornings rain. Size 44 with liner.
still room for Irish sweater.
looks better than a 46 on me.

Top Bottom