What's new

Mustard...

Any other mustard fiends out there? I love mustard, and is fantastic for my "end the fat boy look" diet that I am on.

Basically, I love the stuff and would love some recommendations...

Yea, I have the usual suspects, Grey Poupon, Mielle (def spelled that wrong), French's, and a few others.

So, please shoot some at me.

Not sure where you live but I just go to a butcher shop, German or Polish, and buy what they have. I really enjoy sweet whole grain German mustard myself.

I like this stuff ... buy it as a powder, mix it up 1:1 with water just before serving ... its wicked hot!

proxy.php

I have the colemans. It tastes a lil like Chinese Hot Mustard to me.

I am in NYC/Hoboken NJ area.

I just picked up some dusseldorf style.

I usually get over to Philippes in LA three or four times a year, and I always pick up a jar of their mustard whenever I'm there (lamb, double-dip, mmmmmm). I think that might be my all-time favorite mustard, both in terms of flavor and heat (think LOTS of the latter). I see you can even order it online now - http://www.philippes.com/

For fancier stuff, I like Albert Menes, but I think it's only available in France. The Maille that you mentioned is a pretty good subsitute.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion in Tom's River, but that is Far from local! I have a friend down that way, and when I visit, I'll check it out.

BrownWood Farms Famous Kream Mustard :001_tt1:

This is absolutely my favorite mustard. Very creamy with a semi-sweet taste and a little kick. My wife is not as huge mustard fan but she fights me for this everytime I grab some.

Made in Northern Michigan. I can find it around here in West Mich but it cheaper when we go Up North to Traverse City or Leland. They have a couple fo great stores there. You can also order online.

http://www.brownwoodfarms.com/bwf_store/Famous_Kream_Mustard_153__p48.html

Last edited:
If you can find it, I would heartily recommend a Polish mustard (made in Canada) under the "Cracovia" brand. They have two similar mustards, one called "Hot Mustard" and the other called "Super Extra Hot." The difference is self-explanatory.

These mustards are "yellow" (don't let that fool you) and contain visible flakes of red pepper that add a complexity to the heat of this mustard.

These mustards are not sweet. The flavor is really "bright" and forward (but well balanced). They are the best mustard I have found as an accompaniment to things like smoked fish, swiss cheese, salami, liverwurst, and things of this nature. They don't blow away food with too much vinegar, salt, sweetness, or heat (although they are hot). I know of no other mustard that balances with food so well, and we are a family of mustard lovers.

This mustard is a gem!

Bill (who has no relationship to Poland, Canada, the Cracovia company or any of its affiliates)

If you can find it, I would heartily recommend a Polish mustard (made in Canada) under the "Cracovia" brand. They have two similar mustards, one called "Hot Mustard" and the other called "Super Extra Hot." The difference is self-explanatory.

These mustards are "yellow" (don't let that fool you) and contain visible flakes of red pepper that add a complexity to the heat of this mustard.

These mustards are not sweet. The flavor is really "bright" and forward (but well balanced). They are the best mustard I have found as an accompaniment to things like smoked fish, swiss cheese, salami, liverwurst, and things of this nature. They don't blow away food with too much vinegar, salt, sweetness, or heat (although they are hot). I know of no other mustard that balances with food so well, and we are a family of mustard lovers.

This mustard is a gem!

Bill (who has no relationship to Poland, Canada, the Cracovia company or any of its affiliates)

Thanks, these seem up my alley, I just got the Kuhne brand (german) hot mustard and Thomy brand extra hot. So, I'd have to give these a shot.

I'm a fan. Mustard is great, it can go on anything as far as I'm concerned.
I like Billy Bee honey mustard.
I don't know if it's available outside of Canada. I suppose it is.
I'm also a fan of Gulden's and of course French's.

I worked in a fine dining room for many years and we had this one regular customer who would like to mix up his own from powder.
He'd ask for a little ramekin of powder and some heavy cream.
He would mix it up to his spec. I don't know if he added anything else to it.

Top Bottom