What's new

Mustache wax review thread

Murray’s Superior
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price was very good. A three ounce tin was $7.00 Cdn. Rating: 5/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The labeling is attractive, with a traditional and old fashioned look. Rating: 4/5

3. Ease of application: The product is soft. It is very easy to scoop up with your finger. It is easy to apply and work into your mustache. Rating: 5/5
4. Fragrance: The product has a very mild vanilla scent, which dissipates quickly. This is a good point as it will not interfere with any aftershave/cologne that you may like to use. Rating: 5/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a petroleum product it has very good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape all day with no problems. Rating: 5/5
6. Colour: The product is cloudy, and has no colour to it. It will not colour your hair. Rating: 5/5
Nice review...but what?! No pictures?

Here are the images from my tin of Murray's Superior ...... as you can see it is ready to be replaced.
upload_2018-2-12_11-11-57.jpeg

upload_2018-2-12_11-12-32.jpeg

Schmiere Knupplehart
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price is okay. A 4.7 ounce tin was $19.90 Cdn. Rating: 3/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The labeling is very attractive. With a 1940’s cartoon of a crow. Rating: 5/5
upload_2018-2-12_11-14-25.jpeg
3. Ease of application: The product is blue, and hard. However you can scrape it up with your fingernail very easily. Then it is amazing how quickly and easily it softens when you rub your fingers together. Rating: 4/5
upload_2018-2-12_11-15-1.jpeg
4. Fragrance: It has a mild “soapy” scent that does not linger. This is a good point as it will not interfere with any aftershave/cologne that you may like to use. Rating: 5/5

5. Hold & Lasting Power: it is a waxy product and has okay hold, and will keep my handlebar in shape most of the day. Rating: 4/5

6. Colour: as I mentioned the product is blue in colour. I have found that if I have too much product it will give my handlebar (which is light in colour) a bluish tinge. Rating: 2/5

Reuzel Pink Heavy Hold pomade has an overpowering scent. The scent is too powerful for me. I rarely use the pomade because of that. Reuzel Green is even worse. It smells like sweet apples and the scent never goes away. It's always there. The only time I use that stuff is when I include an equally powerful smelling topper like Black and White pomade. The scent of Black and White overrides that Reuzel Green scent. I feel like I shouldn't have to do this. The guys at Reuzel need to fix their products by tweaking the scent because the stuff is unusable for me.

Reuzel Pink Heavy Hold pomade has an overpowering scent. The scent is too powerful for me. I rarely use the pomade because of that. Reuzel Green is even worse. It smells like sweet apples and the scent never goes away. It's always there. The only time I use that stuff is when I include an equally powerful smelling topper like Black and White pomade. The scent of Black and White overrides that Reuzel Green scent. I feel like I shouldn't have to do this. The guys at Reuzel need to fix their products by tweaking the scent because the stuff is unusable for me.

+1 That is so true, I will not buy it again. I am thinking of writing them and asking them if they could either cut back (a lot), or make an unscented (or very lightly scented) product. Aside from the over-powering and over-whelming smell the product is very good..

I generally stay away from pomades for use as a moustache wax because I find the scents overpowering. And because they go on soft and harden and I don't like that feeling.

Some of the pomades do have overpowering scents. I agree with that. Murray's Superior is great, as is Murray's Xtra Heavy. Those don't harden because they're petroleum base. The ones that harden are the water base/gel pomades. I steer away from those due to the chemicals they contain.

Pepin, I thought about writing to Reuzel as well and let them know that they need to change the scent of their pomades. At that point, Reuzel has got to know that the scent of their pomades - Green and Pink - is too overpowering for them to be used on a daily basis. I have my doubts Reuzel will ever change the scents. It's too bad because a lot of users of those pomades stop using the products quickly due to the scents. I've been using the same tins of Green and Pink Reuzel since I purchased them ages ago. I usually go through pomade quickly if I like the stuff. I like the way my hair looks when I'm using Pink and Green Reuzel pomades, but having to deal with the scents on a daily basis is a headache.

I like Schmiere Knupplehart pomade. Like you said, the hold seems to break down a little by late in the day. Hot temperatures cause the stuff to melt. Lockhart's X Gonzo pomade and High Life Heavy pomade are really nice heavy wax pomades that handle heat and don't break down. The same goes for Murray's Superior and Murray's Xtra Heavy.

Firehouse Tacky
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price was a bit high. A one ounce tin is $20.00 Cdn. Rating: 2/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is a small tin, easy to open/close. The jar will fit in to a pocket nicely. Plain no nonsense label. Rating: 2/5

upload_2018-2-20_14-48-44.jpeg

3. Ease of application: The product is firmness, and not as easy to apply as other products. You have to make sure that your hands and fingers are warm, so that you can scrape it up with your fingernail readily. I always warm up the tin to make it a bit easier. You have to work at it to get it into you mustache. Rating: 3/5

upload_2018-2-20_14-49-13.jpeg
4. Fragrance: This product has no scent. Rating: 5/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a waxy product it has good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape all day. Rating: 5/5
6. Colour: The product is brown, but does not colour my light mustache. Rating: 5/5

Some of the pomades do have overpowering scents. I agree with that. Murray's Superior is great, as is Murray's Xtra Heavy. Those don't harden because they're petroleum base. The ones that harden are the water base/gel pomades. I steer away from those due to the chemicals they contain.

Pepin, I thought about writing to Reuzel as well and let them know that they need to change the scent of their pomades. At that point, Reuzel has got to know that the scent of their pomades - Green and Pink - is too overpowering for them to be used on a daily basis. I have my doubts Reuzel will ever change the scents. It's too bad because a lot of users of those pomades stop using the products quickly due to the scents. I've been using the same tins of Green and Pink Reuzel since I purchased them ages ago. I usually go through pomade quickly if I like the stuff. I like the way my hair looks when I'm using Pink and Green Reuzel pomades, but having to deal with the scents on a daily basis is a headache.

I like Schmiere Knupplehart pomade. Like you said, the hold seems to break down a little by late in the day. Hot temperatures cause the stuff to melt. Lockhart's X Gonzo pomade and High Life Heavy pomade are really nice heavy wax pomades that handle heat and don't break down. The same goes for Murray's Superior and Murray's Xtra Heavy.

I wrote to Reuzel, and they responded very quickly. Their reply was that "they do not have plans to change the fragrance, as it’s actually one of their highest rated.
They recommended trying the Beard Balm instead – and mixing it with the Pink Grease for heavier hold, and reduce the scent."

Very surprising to me. I cannot imagine going out smelling like a vat of candy/bubblegum. I can see why Murray's has lasted so long in the business now.

After reviewing the five mustache waxes / pomades, I made a chart with a cost breakdown.
Interesting at the large range.
upload_2018-2-23_10-18-46.jpeg

Rating based on: ease of application / hold / fragrance / price.

I wrote to Reuzel, and they responded very quickly. Their reply was that "they do not have plans to change the fragrance, as it’s actually one of their highest rated.
They recommended trying the Beard Balm instead – and mixing it with the Pink Grease for heavier hold, and reduce the scent."

Very surprising to me. I cannot imagine going out smelling like a vat of candy/bubblegum. I can see why Murray's has lasted so long in the business now.

That's what I was afraid of. I figured Reuzel wouldn't make changes to the scents of their flawed products. It's like writing a college paper and turning in the rough draft to their professor instead of an edited final version. If you look at the comment section for reviews on Reuzel Green and Pink, users overwhelmingly say they despise the scent of both products. You would think the higher ups at Reuzel would have taken the hint by now and fixed these products. All they need to do is tone it down several notches, but they clearly have no interest in doing so.

I like the way Reuzel Green and Pink make my hair look, but I literally cannot use them unless I apply an equally strong smelling pomade on top of them. In this case, I use Black and White pomade. It's one of Elvis Presley's old favorites. There's not much hold with the pomade, but it smells nice.

After reviewing the five mustache waxes / pomades, I made a chart with a cost breakdown.
Interesting at the large range.
View attachment 862579
Rating based on: ease of application / hold / fragrance / price.
Nice chart. Very helpful. I find, however, that price is not a significant factor in my shaving related purchases. My pleasures in life are few and shaving/grooming gear is where I spend my extra cash. If I see something and I want to give it a go, I usually just buy it...unless the price is ridiculously high. I find most moustache waxes reasonable and they tend to last a long time...I usually have several tins on the go at any one time. I have tried pomade for my moustache and they just don't work for me...too gooey or too much scent. I do enjoy reading the reviews of pomaded and waxes...always something new to learn.

Some of the points posted above.

Not all of the pomades have overpowering scents. Murray's and Schmiere are very light and disapear quickly, only Reuzel has the overpowering smell.

The petroleum pomades do not harden, I apply them, then run a comb through my mustache, followed by some quick shaping. This gives a natural look, and will last all day. The Schmiere wax did take getting used to. It can look waxy at first.

I agree that price is not a big factor (unless it is way out there or the product is poor).
I will look for product I enjoy using and that works for me. Even though it is pricy, I wil pick up the Captain Fawcetts again. It works nicely and I like the scent. I will replenish the Murray's Pomade because it works well for me also.

There are a couple of others I want to try, Lucky Tiger and High life mustache waxes.

strop

Now half as wise
There are a couple of others I want to try, Lucky Tiger and High life mustache waxes.

The Lucky Tiger is not a lot more than petroleum jelly, and did not work at all for me, although Murray's was not much better. I find that using either as a base and melting them with beeswax gives me a much more usable product.

As a secondary benefit though, the Lucky Tiger tube made a great container for a Palmolive shave stick!

The Lucky Tiger is not a lot more than petroleum jelly, and did not work at all for me, although Murray's was not much better. I find that using either as a base and melting them with beeswax gives me a much more usable product.

As a secondary benefit though, the Lucky Tiger tube made a great container for a Palmolive shave stick!
I found the Lucky Tiger to be a bit of a surprise. It looks and applies like petroleum jelly, but if I leave it untouched for about 10 minutes I find it firms up similar to a pomade. Lately I seem to be using it daily (even though I prefer the traditional wax products). I would not call it a firm hold product...more like a mild to medium hold. My mustache is a Monopoly Man style and I find it doesn't require a lot of holding power to keep it in line. The Lucky Tiger seems to work for me. YMMV.

Top Bottom