What's new

Mustache trimming advice-electric clippers

I'm currently growing back my mustache after taking a hiatus for a few years.

In the past, the only trimming I would do was cutting around the mouth-line (and I left the rest of the mustache alone). Inevitably, I would always eventually end up accidentally cutting the line too high (then I would have to shave the mustache off).

This time around, I'm leaning toward going the clippers-only route. Is it possible to maintain a mustache by trimming it solely with electric clippers? That way, I could be sure every hair is a uniform length. However, all the advice I've read online says you still need to cut a mouth-line, even if you use electric clippers for the rest of the mustache.

Electric clippers are unforgiving. I have been using a pair of cuticle scissors to trim the moustache for the past few months, and it is working very well. Basically keeping the lips clear. Electric clippers can take too much off too quickly. Scissors allow you to make small changes, wait a day, and see if you want to continue shortening.

If you use a fine comb and your razor, you can pull the moustache to the side from the centre a little at a time. This also works with above mention sheers. It is very quick to do. If I am in a big enough hurry and want to trim the long hairs too, I use my Andis trimmer with a similar technique to the above. Displace some hairs, see what is hanging down and trim with the side of the trimmer parallel to my mouth and the blade moving outward from centre again. I don't really stop, I just pull the comb a little, cut and keep moving along. I can do both of these in minutes without chopping things up nor worrying about the line. It just works, as long as your shape is already set.

I used to use a scissor above the lip, but like you it was tedious getting a perfect symmetrical line. I only use clippers now with 1/4” - 3/8” guard. You can always try it and see how you like it, start long and go shorter til your happy with it.

I had a mustache of varying lenghts for 25+ years, from roughly 1970 until the mid to late 90s when I got bored and shaved it off (freaking out my kids). Throughout the 80s, I even grew a full beard from Labor to Memorial Day. I butchered trimming my 'stache many a time, but never shaved it off. It always filled back in.

I always have a mustache and I only use clippers to maintain it around my lips, use a small head clippers and close your lips so they don't show up and trim it in a straight line it works for me always, sometimes I have a mishap but it grows back eventually in a couple of days.

Start low and slow don't go high all at once.

My father used to do it with scissors and a straight comb but for me a clipper is way easier.

I have a goatee which I typically trim down. If I were to use scissors to trim the edges, I'd probably cut my lips, Lol!!
I've used electric trimmers forever and my favorites were always made by Wahl. Recently I was due for a new one and bought a Wahl. An expensive Wahl!
It was garbage! Wahl is a shadow if what it once was and most of the stuff is made overseas.
I then tried Panasonic, Remington etc.
I landed on Norelco and it's got to be the best trimmer I've tried (recently). It's solid and has the sharpest blades I've tried.
They still make great products.
Highly recommended!

It is possible to maintain a mustache by trimming it solely with electric clippers. The key is to find the right type of clipper and to use it properly. First, look for a clipper that has a guard that can be adjusted to different lengths. This will allow you to trim the mustache without taking too much off. Second, take your time and be very careful when trimming. Start with the longest setting and then slowly work your way down to shorter lengths. Finally, comb the mustache after trimming to make sure all the hair is even. With a little practice, you should be able to get a good result using electric clippers.

I just use my tiny scissors. Snip at the hairs trying to get into my mouth and that’s about it. Electric clippers would definitely work.

Itrim
I'm currently growing back my mustache after taking a hiatus for a few years.

In the past, the only trimming I would do was cutting around the mouth-line (and I left the rest of the mustache alone). Inevitably, I would always eventually end up accidentally cutting the line too high (then I would have to shave the mustache off).

This time around, I'm leaning toward going the clippers-only route. Is it possible to maintain a mustache by trimming it solely with electric clippers? That way, I could be sure every hair is a uniform length. However, all the advice I've read online says you still need to cut a mouth-line, even if you use electric clippers for the rest of the mustache
I trim my moustache and beard with an electric trimmer. There are always stragglers that you have to get with scissors but I do all the trimming, including the lip line with the trimmers. I haven't messed up my moustache or beard in a loooong time, since I was in my 20s, late 50s now, so I've had a lot of practice. Of course now that I've said that I'd better find a piece of wood to knock on. 🤪

You can always use some wax and a small comb to train the stache so it grows towards the corners of your mouth from center. That way you don't have to worry about over trimming and it makes it nice and full.

I'd use trimmer for middle portion and getting the lip line, leaving extra length by the corners of the mouth and then use scissors to fine tune corners and get any stragglers elsewhere.

Top Bottom