What's new

Mustache Length

I'm a little over a year into my mustache and I've gotten long enough to wear it in waxed loops for work. I've only trimmed the ends a couple of times to get rid of single hair tips. I'm noticing that when I don't wear it waxed into loops, its actually a bit long for traditional handlebars now.

For you guys with long term mustaches, do you trim the ends, leave them growing forever, or do they tend to stop growing on their own?

Thanks
Bernie

I started not trimming mine a few months ago, when I shaved my beard off. Now I can make loops that will go about 3/4 of a circle after waxing, but don't close up into a complete circle.
My problem is that one side has a few more hairs than the other. I'm going to let it grow on it's own to see if it balances itself out.

It doesn't look too bad though, and I'm getting complements from strangers and friends. I was at a small social gathering last week and a young teen girl who didn't know my name needed to ask a question about something. She addressed me as "Sir With The Amazing Moustache, ...".

I have noticed that when I work the wax through with a fine comb (after using my finger tips), I often lose a few shorter hairs (probably from the middle), but rarely a long hair.

If it was a single extra-long hair, I'd trim just that one.

this is me about a week ago, i have not trimmed at all in a little over a year, i really needed to let the middle grow out. i often just brush it out to the sides now days and it seems to stay fine, in what i guess is a western style. it took a long time to get the middle long enough that it didn't always curl into my mouth. sometimes i use wax, but i don't seem to need to now days. if i really want it to look natural, but hold a good shape, or a very firm hold for harder styles i use got-2b-glued. as for the length if i style it into an English it is about 7 inches from tip to tip. but it does not look that long here when styled with loops.
me at w&w.jpg

this is how it looks totally natural with nothing in it, this is how i wear it most days. i guess i would say i don't plan to trim it at all for at least a while longer. if i can get an English that is a foot across, i may start cleaning up the ends to allow other to grow out and make it thicker, but we will see when that time comes.
ready for casi.jpg

I don't have the patience to do a real handle bar. I always wind up trimming the middle after a week or two of eating it. Also don't like the feel of a lot of product. I do let the tips grow longer and sometimes to a bit of a western with my full beard. I know with beards they talk of a terminal length, where it doesn't get any longer. Usually around 3-4 years, but will vary from person to person. I'm sure mustaches do have a terminal length too, but where yours is, well there is only one way to find out.

@tylehman
Nice stache! I like the natural look, goes well with the sideburns. :thumbup1:

Thank for the input. Mine is 8" tip to tip with about six to eight hairs at the tips. I'll be happier when I can get more bulk out that far. The inner hair is about 2.5" now after 12 months. When those get to be greater than 3" I think that's my target. Then I can do more of a cowboy without it looking straggly.

Mine is about 1.5" past the corner of my mouth on each side. Sometimes I wax it to a nice curl, sometimes I just let it curve (swoop) naturally, all depends on how I feel that day. I don't trim it at all. The middle comes straight down about halfway to the point of my chin.

I do get frequent comments and stares. Last year I was at work for a meeting. Some of us were standing in the hallway just BSing and I was being "harassed" about my "Monopoly Man" mustache until a random lady walked past and commented on my distinguished mustache.

Some of us were standing in the hallway just BSing and I was being "harassed" about my "Monopoly Man" mustache until a random lady walked past and commented on my distinguished mustache.
it happens all of the time :001_rolle
co-workers don't get it, and are surprised at all of the unsolicited positive comments.:001_cool:

it happens all of the time :001_rolle
Yup. I recently had a young teen girl who was going to ask a question about something. She didn't know my name so she initially addressed me as "Sir With the Amazing Mustache..."

It's about 6.75" from tip to tip, but it's rather wiry so I can't get the loops to close like @tylehman's.

I have sported a mustache since I was in my late teens (40+ year ago). I have worn it in many styles, but last summer I decided to grow a "real" handlebar. No trimming. I have managed to grow a fine Monopoly Man mustache (hence the avatar). I can curl the tips, but I tend to wear it as in the avatar. I wax every day. I only recently started trimming the tips, to keep the ends from getting too long. I am not interested in growing one of the eccentric long tip mustaches. Too much work. I will leave that for another day.

In my profile pic it's about 6 inches as an English, much chunkier as an (sortof) imperial with cavalry whiskers. I've recently drastically trimmed it (width, not length, slightly Hitlerian without wax still), which would usually lead to loss of control, BUT I got into the hairdryer + wax way of doing things and it's practically a Dali when I leave the house.

I've had mine for years but it never seems to get the shape and thickness that I want to be able to get it in a proper handlebar.
I've never heard of "terminal length" before but that makes sense.
I've never trimmed it but the left side is always longer than the right and always more cooperative in the shaping process.
I use Loma Wax on it most days for a firm hold but it's a bit waxy looking.
Just got some Zeus Mustache Wax which is more gel-like.
That stuff and a hairdryer will freeze the curl in place.

i have been reading about using lanolin after shaping with a hairdryer. as you dry the damp hair, you can hold it toward you jaw line for a flatter style or up toward your hairline to get a broad sweep, or you can even use curlers to get loops or large even curves. once it is in shape the lanolin gives almost no actual hold, but makes everything soft and natural and healthy looking, it seems to be water resistant and does bring everything together a bit. you can add a little more heat to get it well distributed. then it just keeps looking good all day.
if you like the natural look, this method seems to hold up well in the heat were waxes have problems, and in the damp were gluestick and got-2b-glued have issues.

Top Bottom