What's new

Mustache Care

I have a handlebar mustache. I use Badger Mustache Wax and Groom Wax. I usually only wax in the morning and that seems to do me for the day. I notice that by the end of the day much of the wax has dissipated. I also notice that the remaining wax tends to rub off on my pillow. I have been laying a hand towel on my pillow as a way to protect my pillow cases.

Question: Do you wash/shampoo your mustache before bed to get the wax out?

Last edited:
I don't do a full handlebar, but I do use a little Clubman wax. I just comb mine to the side to keep it out of my mouth. I don't bother to wash it out at night, but I don't use much at all. I'll be interested to hear what the handlebar guys have to say.

i can handlebar and use a lot of different products. (at different time, not all at once) i tend to use just a beard balm, or oil every other day, and just brush the mustache out to the sides in the morning. now days that seems to work fine.

i have never had much luck with the badger wax. for me it does not help much with shaping, and it does seem to dissipate throughout the day. for me later in the day it seems to work against me, in that the hairs seem to start to curl more and curl into my mouth rather than keeping them curled away. i find that the firehouse waxes don't dissipate that way and also don't seem to melt off like the badger wax. i usually carry some firehouse in my pocket if i need some help controlling things when i am going to eat. i think changing the wax will most like solve the pillowcase issue.

the clubman washes out very easily, and has a very firm hold, i use it when i want to shape an English or Dali style mustache. it goes on more wet and dries hard. :a11:

probable the best for all-day hold and a natural look is got-2b-glued on a wet mustache in the morning, then using a hairdryer and a round brush, dry it out into large curls. once done the hair stays in place all day, and it is supper easy to wash out.:a14:

as for your question; i don't usually worry about washing it out at the end of the day. sometimes if i do, i end up putting in some oil or balm at night to soften or condition the whiskers. i think if i have badger in, i would feel the need to wash it out, because i don't like how it feels later in the day, with stiff oily feeling curls going into my mouth.:07:

I wax in the morning. I have several different brands i rotate through with Firehouse being my personal favorite. I wash out every night just because i use a CPAP and I shouldn't have any product on my face where the mask goes. I use neutrogena soap to wash out and it works very well. I use Badger as well mainly because it's the best wax that is available in a brick and mortar store (Cracker Barrel) in my area. I'm not a fan of clubman wax (but I've got some).

i can handlebar and use a lot of different products. (at different time, not all at once) i tend to use just a beard balm, or oil every other day, and just brush the mustache out to the sides in the morning. now days that seems to work fine.

i have never had much luck with the badger wax. for me it does not help much with shaping, and it does seem to dissipate throughout the day. for me later in the day it seems to work against me, in that the hairs seem to start to curl more and curl into my mouth rather than keeping them curled away. i find that the firehouse waxes don't dissipate that way and also don't seem to melt off like the badger wax. i usually carry some firehouse in my pocket if i need some help controlling things when i am going to eat. i think changing the wax will most like solve the pillowcase issue.

the clubman washes out very easily, and has a very firm hold, i use it when i want to shape an English or Dali style mustache. it goes on more wet and dries hard. :a11:

probable the best for all-day hold and a natural look is got-2b-glued on a wet mustache in the morning, then using a hairdryer and a round brush, dry it out into large curls. once done the hair stays in place all day, and it is supper easy to wash out.:a14:

as for your question; i don't usually worry about washing it out at the end of the day. sometimes if i do, i end up putting in some oil or balm at night to soften or condition the whiskers. i think if i have badger in, i would feel the need to wash it out, because i don't like how it feels later in the day, with stiff oily feeling curls going into my mouth.:07:
Today I tried the Got-2b-glued...and I was pleasantly surprised. It applied easily enough, no greasy feel, great hold and I looked even than before I started! :001_cool: Great advice...thanks. As long as I have a blow dryer available I don't see myself using Badgers Wax ever again!

I started with Clubman wax, and found it to be horrible.

Now apply I wax in the morning, using either Captain Fawcett's or Firehouse Tacky. I soften up th ewax before applying, and both products give great hold and look great.
I don't bother to wash it out at night, and have never had any wax come off on a pillow.

I'll just say, clubman needs to be used in a different way than most other waxes. put it in so it all looks wet, you can run a comb through at that point, to get the wax evenly distributed, then pinch and shape. it work best for a thinner style like English, or Dali. then just let it dry.... you can't comb it again or anything. if you try to continue to comb it, it will not hold anymore and you can't really reshape things. for a heavily waxed look for some of those styles it works best. it just does well when things are shaped while still wet with wax and then left to set.

some like to use clubman on the tips that want to keep coming apart with other waxes. if they are wetted with the clubman and left to dry the tips will be held solid.

here is something i did the other day with clubman. in general i have had good luck with clubman when trying to get a stiff straight look. when i do this with got-2b-glued, the ends always start curling upwards. i cant get them really straight. i did notice that now that it is getting hotter here in Texas, the clubman did start to loose its hold when i went outside in the heat... i had problems with the ends starting to split a bit.

Before
2017-04-28-13-47-58_edited.jpg

After
2017-04-28-13-49-04_edited.jpg

here is something i did the other day with clubman. in general i have had good luck with clubman when trying to get a stiff straight look. when i do this with got-2b-glued, the ends always start curling upwards. i cant get them really straight. i did notice that now that it is getting hotter here in Texas, the clubman did start to loose its hold when i went outside in the heat... i had problems with the ends starting to split a bit.

Before
View attachment 785820

After
View attachment 785821
Nice looking mustache!

When I wax, I will use a softish wax for the middle to keep the hairs in order and then do the end with some Capt Fawcett's.

When I wax, I will use a softish wax for the middle to keep the hairs in order and then do the end with some Capt Fawcett's.
I do this as well. When I use wax instead of Got 2b Glued I use Badgers for the main part of my mustache and I use Groom (stiffer with more holding power) for the few unruly whiskers in the center of my mustache directly above my lip. And if I want pointy handlebars I use the Groom on the tips as well.

Top Bottom