What's new

"Must owns"

I'm building out my shave den with the " classics" and "must owns". The ones that are loved or hated, scented or unscented, tallow or vegan, but unanimously agreed by everyone to be well known, widely used, staples in every den.

So far i have MWF, Cella, Proraso, Haslinger, Tabac. I am also aware of Arko and Williams but don't yet have those. I also plan to get Barrister & Mann, Stirling, TOBS, DR Harris, Valobra, SV

What else am i missing here

Last edited:
So are we just talking soaps? I do not know as it is "classic" per se, but I think you have to throw some VDH in there just because it is widely known and just works.

If we are talking shave products in general, let me be the first to say CLASSIC CLUBMAN AS!

So are we just talking soaps? I do not know as it is "classic" per se, but I think you have to throw some VDH in there just because it is widely known and just works.

If we are talking shave products in general, let me be the first to say CLASSIC CLUBMAN AS!

Ah, right. I've seen VDH, gotta get that one

+1 on the clubman

course I'm a big fan of DRH soaps too!!!!

20200227_190144.jpg

camo

I've had all of the classics in my shave den at one time or another. They have since been removed and replaced with others that I like better. The problem with many of these soaps is that the formulas haven't changed for decades. Sure some that have been using nothing else for decades will say that they don't need to, or why change it as it's already perfect, but there are smaller makers constantly improving their formulas over this same time frame. Some of the soaps out there have gotten quite good while the classics are stagnantly resting on their laurels.

I don't want to turn this into a classic vs artisan thread as there are plenty of those out there already. Just know that there are a lot of soaps to pick from. Read reviews, trade samples with other members, jump in some passarounds and try things you haven't tried already. We all have different preferences so this is how you'll find the ones that are right for you.

In terms of your original question I'd add Martin de Candre to the list. Sure it seems expensive and it is as an up front cost but considering a jar lasts well over a year of everyday shaves on a cost per shave basis it's actually quite inexpensive. It's the only classic soap that I still have in my shave den.

Speick stick
La Toja stick
Pre de Provence - Bergamot & Thyme
I'm building out my shave den with the " classics" and "must owns". The ones that are loved or hated, scented or unscented, tallow or vegan, but unanimously agreed by everyone to be well known, widely used, staples in every den.

So far i have MWF, Cella, Proraso, Haslinger, Tabac. I am also aware of Arko and Williams but don't yet have those. I also plan to get Barrister & Mann, Stirling, TOBS, DR Harris, Valobra, SV

These two posts capture many of the big ones. Valobra appears to be discontinued and not commercially available. Would add Palmolive stick, L’Occitane Cade, Provence Sante Green Tea.

Depending on which sites you check, other 'classics' include Speick & Palmolive Stick and Vitos Red. The Palmolive Cream is very popular in Europe as well.

Another classic is Martin de Candre.

IMO, trying to get Valobra could be tricky as it is kind of discontinued (brand was bought out by Proraso who are yet to making it again and with things in Italy being like they are I wouldn't hold my breath for new stocks). FWIW, I find Valobra's lather to be very similar to MWF which is much cheaper and easier to get hold off.

I myself have gravitated towards using just the classics as they seem to be ones my face can tolerate and the ones I use most of the time are Palmolive/Tabac Stick, Proraso Green, Vitos Red and MWF.

I already see Stirling but my personal must have is Stirling Orange Chill.

As for everything else, I don't have must haves except for Proraso Green for scent and memory-purposes (not the best performer).

Top Bottom