What's new

MUST have TV

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I mentioned briefly in another thread about old TV shows I missed.

I actually have a devious plan...

I'm in the process of collecting complete series of Television shows that I loved from the 60's, 70's, 80's and yes, even a few "more modern" ones.
When I retire, I'm going to take those DVD's and play them all instead of watching any current broadcasting. I figure I'll have enough to last me for all my television entertainment needs for the rest of my years.

I have a substantial dent in the list made already, and here are some of the ones that I have or are in the process of getting - and the list below is by no means complete.

Just in case I've forgotten any - What would you have me add to my list?

Get Smart
The Invaders
Mr. Ed
The Adams Family
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Mission Impossible
Combat
My Favorite Martian
The Time Tunnel
Star Trek (all of them)
WKRP in Cincinnati
F Troop
The Flying Nun
I Dream of Jeanie
Bewitched
The Man from UNCLE
Hogans Heroes
Gilligans Island
Barney Miller
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
Dragnet
Laugh-In
Lost in Space
The Twilight Zone
McHales Navy
The Fugitive
The Rat Patrol
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and a big glaring oversight- the Honeymooners. Gleason was a genius. Also, the Carol Burnett show, if only for the Tim Conway and Harvey Korman interactions.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would sometimes watch Petticoat Junction or Green Acres or the Beverly Hillbillys, but they weren't at the top of my list. Kind of like Gomer Pyle and the Andy Griffith Show - good, but not a top favorite.
Carol Burnett show was great, and I probably need to add "all of the years of Johhny Carson on the Tonight Show"

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would sometimes watch Petticoat Junction or Green Acres or the Beverly Hillbillys, but they weren't at the top of my list. Kind of like Gomer Pyle and the Andy Griffith Show - good, but not a top favorite.
Carol Burnett show was great, and I probably need to add "all of the years of Johhny Carson on the Tonight Show"

I was a teenager in the 80's and loved Letterman. I just watched Carson to get to Dave. It wasn't until after Carson left that I realized how much I liked him.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Night Gallery was good.
I was a big fan of NYPD Blue, as well as Hill Street Blues

I also remembered that I need;
Soap (absolutely fantastic show)
Quantum Leap
Adam 12

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Batman, as campy as it was, was great.
I liked Dr. Who - but for some reason, only the Tom Baker ones.

The Prisoner was interesting, but it frustrated me in a "Lost" kind of way.
Much preferred the Avengers with Emma Peel.

My cousin once posited that "The Twilight Zone" and "The Andy Griffith Show" are all that is necessary to create legitimate, naturalized immigrant citizens.

Last edited:
Good plan. I'm actually already doing this. I dropped TV service a couple of years ago, and now only watch stuff on DVD (my Internet connection isn't fast enough to stream, or I probably would do that as well). Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. A couple that I didn't see that you might have liked that I have in my collection:

The Munsters
The Rockford Files
Columbo
Dick Van Dike Show
Hawaii Five-O (Original or course)
Star Trek (Original, but if you liked Next Gen, you might grab that)
Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
Combat
Happy Days
Quincy
The Odd Couple
The Little Rascals (not really TV per se...they were film shorts/serials, but played on TV quite a bit)

If you like Brit stuff, you might try:

Prime Suspect
Black Adder (this one might be a bit of an acquired taste)
Faulty Towers
Inspector Morse (I'm just starting this, but I like it so far).
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the mini-series, not the movie. Alec Guinness is great in this fantastic mini-series. It's worth (and for me took) a couple of viewings to catch everything).
Smiley's People (sequel to Tinker Tailor). Not quite as good, but still excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom