What's new

Must have products?

Im very interested in this method and im really curious what are the must have products to acheive the shave so many method shavers speak of. Does it really take every one of them to acheive these results?

Sean,
There are only 2 products in my opinion that are not wholly necessary - one being hydrolast paste, the second being the aftershave tonic spray. If it were me though - i'd get some sort of hydrosol spray to use with the method, as it is an overall skincare improvement "system" if you will. Adam and others really fall for that hydrolast paste... for me it never made too drastic of an improvement, no matter how much I used (even when used in absurd amounts).

If you used a decent brush, a CAR cube, some english shave cream, the tonic, cutting balm and moisture cream, you'll be set.

Well im almost there then.....thanx.
Since using the cube with my creams I am accomplishing much better shaves. Can only imagine what the whole setup would do. Car's tonics and QED's seem to be close in price so I guess I could swing either way, currently using davinci water.

I've been using the cutting balm and moisturizer and they've both been great.

Slapping on a layer of balm before lathering makes a clear difference in smoothness and lubrication. I haven't tried it on its own for T&C, which I think might be its intended use, but a bit with a splash of water would probably work pretty well.

The moisturizer is great. It seems like it would go on heavy, but you have to use only a very small amount and it absorbs really well. (I have the same experience with the mositurizer and Trumper's Skin Food: when I start to apply them, I think "no way that's enough," but they both seem to almost increase in volume once I start spreading them around.)

Dave C

First Allow me to introduce myself, for those of you who do not know me I am the founder of methodshaving.com. I know most of you will think I am biased as I talk about must have products, but I assure you I have searched high and low, went to great length, and tried a wide variety of products in an attempt to find alternative products. The problem is Charles Roberts is in ths business and has done the research and puts out what I feel are fantastic products that have real value and last much longer than one would imagine. So I will detail the listof products and you can decide what is a must have.

1. The Cube -- This is no longer a standard Marsielle soap. It has now been blended and produced to spec for CAR, and has two stand out ingredients. The first is a high grade first press olive oil, and the second is clorophyl. This combination is what gives it the very green color and the olive oil is what gives it a strong scent out of the package. The scent is not that unpleasant and fades quickly in a few uses. The cube allows for the priming of the brush and water management in the shave, the clorophyl provides the very slick feel both to the soap and the shave itself. It is also fantastic as a daily face wash, shampoo, etc..

2. HydroLast Shave Paste -- This is a relatively new product that is a pure protien emollient designed to be used with the cube and a high velocity large bucket brush. This product is as close as you are going to come to shaving with pure unadulterated water and is not for the faint of heart. In fact this product is very difficult for new users and those with out proper brushes. In fact I believe the first brush I ever used capable of maxamizing the results with shave paste is the protoype new brush I tested. HydroLast is WET and slippery and takes a trained user to recieve the full benefits, for me it is an outstanding product as it allows me to cut fast and wet in ways I never thought possible before.

3. Cutting Balm -- For those of you who think you will shortcut this product with Jojoba from your local health food store, well think again. As all things CAR this one is from left field and like no other Jojoba you will ever find. This is a modified and fortified Jojoba that is very light in weight. It is used two ways. The primary function is for last minute touch and cut capabilities to grab those last few trouble spots and wipe them clean. The second use is an all around skin conditioner. I have little to no use for T&C on any regular basis, yet I always apply a bit of this to a very wet face after the shave. This product will make you skin butter soft and provide you a healthy glow like no other.

4. Spray Tonic -- This is essentialy a hydrosol based floral water, and is used to replenish the skin with water and to apply the moisturising cream. Nothing special, but the scents are hand blended in the store and CAR will spice em up or tone them down as you see fit. This product can be replaced with pure water, or any other hydrosol/floral water that is in an atomizer. Personally I love his bay rum, frankisence orange, and summer sage as the scenting is just fantastic.

5. After Shave Moisturising Cream -- This is the best moisturiser I have ever used, just make sure you apply it to a very wet face as that is how it is designed to work. The peppermint is spectacular for a nice cooling sensation and combined with summer sage tonic it just nocks you socks off. The lime and green tea is a fantastic scent that smells great and does not linger. The Sandalwood is among the purest smelling mysore you will find. Surspiringly most people are not that familiar with unadulterated pure sandalwood.

Austin said:
Randy, is that Pasadena, Texas? :biggrin:

He hit the nail on the head if he was referring to Pasadena, TX... it does smell like :9898:

The only place worse is Texas City.. which might be more aptly named Refineryville or Explosiontown :eek6:

I don't think the Cube smell all that bad. It's not great but not as bad as one might believe - and it does tone down after a few uses.

To me it is smell like wet modeling clay.

Why do you need the tonic and cutting balm?

joel said:
Sean,
There are only 2 products in my opinion that are not wholly necessary - one being hydrolast paste, the second being the aftershave tonic spray. If it were me though - i'd get some sort of hydrosol spray to use with the method, as it is an overall skincare improvement "system" if you will. Adam and others really fall for that hydrolast paste... for me it never made too drastic of an improvement, no matter how much I used (even when used in absurd amounts).

If you used a decent brush, a CAR cube, some english shave cream, the tonic, cutting balm and moisture cream, you'll be set.

Dont you love solicitation?

All you need for a good shave is a razor, blade, and shaving soap / cream. There are plenty of good products out there, no "method" needed.

Top Bottom