What's new

Musk Oil

Should I buy some and mix it in with my Aqua Velva Musk A/S Cologne? (I'm looking for projection and sillage).

Suggestions? Comments?

I ordered 2, 1/2-ounce "dropper" bottles yesterday (September 3rd). I plan on using one to "spike" the two Aqua Velva "Musk" AS/Cologne(s), saving the other for direct use on the jaw-line.

An aftershave and cologne are really two different things with different purposes. An aftershave is supposed to treat your skin when you finish shaving. The scent is only supposed to last a little while. An EdT or EdP is supposed to last longer and project more because it has a higher concentration of fragrance oils. These are so concentrated you would not want to apply them to your face, but to pulse points elsewhere on the body.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I enjoy musk scents and some musk aftershaves such as Jovan and Aqua Velva are marketed as 'aftershave cologne'. The packaging of my vintage Shulton Musk Cologne states 'splash it on face, neck, and body'. I know that aftershaves, colognes, EDT, and EDP have different concentration of fragrance oils, are normally intended to be used differently, and for different purposes, but I have always used aftershave, cologne, and EDT interchangeably, to the face after shaving. I am aware of the theory behind it but applying to pulse points, spraying on clothing, or anything else other than into the palms and then applied to the face, strikes me as a bit odd but to each their own. Anyway, to answer the OP, I have no idea about adding musk oil to musk aftershave but I would not apply it undiluted, especially if you have sensitive skin, but if you do then I would stop use if any irritation occurs. I would also advise mixing with a part bottle of aftershave so you do not ruin an entire bottle if you get the dosage wrong. Good luck.

1662565238208.png
1662565238208.png
1662565238208.png
1662565238208.png

This is what I bought (buy 1 get one free).

I enjoy musk scents and some musk aftershaves such as Jovan and Aqua Velva are marketed as 'aftershave cologne'. The packaging of my vintage Shulton Musk Cologne states 'splash it on face, neck, and body'. ..
I read "aftershave cologne" to mean very strongly scented aftershave. That's not usually at the same intensity level as a full-blown EdT or EdP. Otherwise, it would be so intense you would drive everybody else out of the room.

Sorry, I have no experience with adding musk oil to scents, and have not read of others' experiences in doing that. Seems like an obvious thing to do, if one likes musk, and what is not to like.

I read "aftershave cologne" to mean very strongly scented aftershave. That's not usually at the same intensity level as a full-blown EdT or EdP. Otherwise, it would be so intense you would drive everybody else out of the room.
I have two bottles of the Aqua Velva "Musk" AS/Cologne and had planned to augment the bottle with about 1/4 of one 1/2-ounce bottle. This would give the AS/Cologne more projection, sillage, and lasting power.

I don't want to overdo it, but the scent of the AV Musk seems a bit on the weak side.

I have two bottles of the Aqua Velva "Musk" AS/Cologne and had planned to augment the bottle with about 1/4 of one 1/2-ounce bottle. This would give the AS/Cologne more projection, sillage and, lasting power.
My point was projection, sillage and longevity are not traits I would expect from an aftershave. The usual way of obtaining those things would be to use a mildly scented aftershave and follow it with a dedicated EdT or EdP which had higher quality fragrance ingredients.

EclipseRedRing

I agree, I use EDC or EDT in exactly the same way as aftershave but in smaller amounts. That said, I work at home and have only myself and my wife to please. I have so much vintage AS, EDC, and EDT, including some powerhouse scents like Drakkar Noir, Kouros, Aramis, etc. that I reapply it several times per day, sometimes using several different scents in the same day. I am probably 'that guy' but I couldn't care less 🤣

Anyway, to answer the OP, I have no idea about adding musk oil to musk aftershave but I would not apply it undiluted, especially if you have sensitive skin, but if you do then I would stop use if any irritation occurs. I would also advise mixing with a part bottle of aftershave so you do not ruin an entire bottle if you get the dosage wrong. Good luck.
I'm not too worried about "ruining" a $3.17 (USD) 3.5 oz. bottle of Aqua Velva "Musk". I'm thinking about adding a little at a time until the desired projection/sillage is achieved. I can memorize that and order the Musk Oil to be added accordingly.

My thoughts:

I too use aftershave splash, Eau de Cologne, Cologne, and EDT interchangeably.

That musk oil should work fine for a $3 aftershave. Just add a drop at a time. The "oil" is most likely a carrier that is already cutting the contents down to 10% or so concentration, if I had to guess.

The only caveat = The oil and/or the musk could cause an allergic reaction. If it doesn't, then you're golden.

Oh, 2nd caveat = the oil may or may not create an emulsion. It could float on top. It may also louche and turn the mix white.

If it were me, I would avoid "fragrance oils"(not to be confused with essential oils) in any perfumery experiment.

I would buy a bottle of this, and dilute it down to 10% with some grain alcohol. Then, add a few drops at a time.

EclipseRedRing

It may also louche and turn the mix white
Thank you, I have just learned a new word - 'louche'.

"Louching is the term for when a clear spirit suddenly turns cloudy, milky or opaque. It is predominantly associated with Absinthe, which turns cloudy when water is added."

The amount of Absinthe I have consumed I should have known that 👍

Thank you, I have just learned a new word - 'louche'.

"Louching is the term for when a clear spirit suddenly turns cloudy, milky or opaque. It is predominantly associated with Absinthe, which turns cloudy when water is added."

The amount of Absinthe I have consumed I should have known that 👍
You do, and you'll clean it up!

My thoughts:

That musk oil should work fine for a $3 aftershave. Just add a drop at a time. The "oil" is most likely a carrier that is already cutting the contents down to 10% or so concentration, if I had to guess.

The only caveat = The oil and/or the musk could cause an allergic reaction. If it doesn't, then you're golden.

Oh, 2nd caveat = the oil may or may not create an emulsion. It could float on top. It may also louche and turn the mix white.

If it were me, I would avoid "fragrance oils"(not to be confused with essential oils) in any perfumery experiment.

I would buy a bottle of this, and dilute it down to 10% with some grain alcohol. Then, add a few drops at a time.

I have a "sneaking suspicion" that this experiment will work rather well. If it doesn't, I'll relegate it to pulse points and below the neckline on my chest.

I refuse to waste money.

My thoughts:

Thanks.

I think that when my bottle(s) of Musk Oil arrive on Monday, September 12th, I'll begin with a drop or two into a bottle of Aqua Velva "Musk" AS/Cologne and see where it takes me.

My thoughts:

Thanks.

I think that when my bottle(s) of Musk Oil arrive on Monday, September 12th, I'll begin with a drop or two into a bottle of Aqua Velva "Musk" AS/Cologne and see where it takes me.

Top Bottom