What's new

Music Question (digital pianos)

I'm wanting to learn to play the piano. I can read treble clef, working on bass clef. I'm torn between Yamaha P-115 and DGX-650. They have very similar features, when you don't look at everything the DGX-650 can do that the P-115 can't. I was initially looking at just a simple digital piano along the lines of a P45. I will only be playing at home for myself, I want to play both simple classical pieces and covers of modern songs. I may take lessons where I will need to take the piano with me to the lesson (P-115 wins here). I went and played around with both today on lunch and the DGX-650 has a ton of fun features. Also it sounded a bit better, though I think a setting on the P-115 might have been off as a P-45 sounded richer than the P-115 which I know is not the case.

I can get them both for within $50 of each other, so money isn't an issue.

I guess it comes down to do I want to have lots of voices and record (DGX-650) or have it be simple and portable (P-115)? Any thoughts?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
If you are just starting out, the P-115 might be the way to go. Especially, if you will need to transport it for your lessons. Which felt better to the touch? Many musicians consider playability (how it feels while playing it) to be one of the most important aspects of buying an instrument. It doesn't matter how it sounds or the features it has, if it doesn't feel good while playing it, then there's less of a chance that you'll want to sit down and hammer on the keys as often.

The P-115 and the DGX-650 have the exact same action, so feel is negligible though it was the main driver to get to the point of looking at these two pianos!

the DGX-650 has a screen and more options where the other doesn't.
If you can get it within $50 of each other I would go with the DGX-650. It looks like it has a bunch of extra features that might appeal to you later, and others if you choose to resale it.

I have a Casio Celviano. I bought it because the piano store highly recommended it for a first piano (no tuning, kids can practice with headphones, full size keyboard with weighted keys, etc.).

After a couple of years of lessons for my daughter, the piano teacher taught me about differences between traditional and digital pianos and said I should start thinking about upgrading to a traditional upright if we were serious about her playing.

Long story short, buy whichever one sounds and feels better to you. If you find out you have a good talent and get serious, you’ll probably want to upgrade in a few years.

AZ, thank you! I agree that a digital can't replace an upright, but it does have it's own very distinct advantages, which you mentioned.

If I find that I really like it as much as I think I will and get pretty decent at it, my grandfather has an upright that hasn't been used in years that I could move and have tuned.

Missed the opportunity on the DGX650, though I had already decided to go with the P115. Went and got it on lunch today!!

So far, I am very much enjoying the P115 and feel it was the right piano to go with! As I can already read treble clef, I am able to pick out the melody of Amazing Grace (granted a very easy song), I'm working on being able to read bass clef and getting the left hand involved. I'm also working on an intermediate arrangement of Canon in D, that's coming along nicely. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase!

My 2 year old son loves his time "playing a song" as well!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Great to hear! I played the guitar for years, and I was in the same boat as you when it came to reading treble clef but not bass clef. Like with anything, practice makes perfect. If your son retains his excitement towards the piano, then you should think about getting him started as well in a couple of years. :thumbup:

Top Bottom