What's new

Mushroom/Swiss Burger W/ Fake Cheese, what to do?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Growing up we didn’t have much money. Coming home from school and waiting for parents to get home from work, we came up with cheap snacks. Nothing cheaper that some spaghetti with butter and cheap, crappy, Kraft Parmesan. I still keep in in the fridge (next to the good Parmesan) for the times that I want to remember my past.
Ours was probably a little more expensive, but not by much. 1lb of ground meat (whatever was on sale) and one can of Ranch Style pinto beans. Brown meat, add beans.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ours was probably a little more expensive, but not by much. 1lb of ground meat (whatever was on sale) and one can of Ranch Style pinto beans. Brown meat, add beans.
And I'll bet you still eat that every so often!

When we first got married we ate so much hamburger and store brand sides that when we went to eat at other young folk's houses we thought the "brand name" stuff tasted funny!

HATED living like that for a bit, but honestly, I would not trade places with Bill Gates. He's got a werld of trubbles he caint EVEN imagine coming his way!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
And I'll bet you still eat that every so often!

When we first got married we ate so much hamburger and store brand sides that when we went to eat at other young folk's houses we thought the "brand name" stuff tasted funny!

HATED living like that for a bit, but honestly, I would not trade places with Bill Gates. He's got a werld of trubbles he caint EVEN imagine coming his way!
I most certainly do. My wife hates it and the kids will only eat it if I smother it in shredded cheddar and wrap it in a tortilla.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
My butler will not give me his answer - I need to fire him!
There was a time I could not use Ketchup since I grew to love the Chili Sauce by Heinz.

I hear ya about fake cheese sadly most places do not care but so much worse on other things like the oils they use etc.. :)

Smash burgers with american cheese are good ? Rarely do i eat them as I eat pretty clean carnivore but kids and wife like it so a couple times a year I am OK with American closest to fake cheese I get :)

I eat OMAD and never eat out always bring something of my own with better quality more control etc. but not for everyone I can see that :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Growing up we didn’t have much money. Coming home from school and waiting for parents to get home from work, we came up with cheap snacks. Nothing cheaper that some spaghetti with butter and cheap, crappy, Kraft Parmesan. I still keep in in the fridge (next to the good Parmesan) for the times that I want to remember my past.

Growing up, that tin of Kraft was what I believed "parmesan cheese" to be. To us, then, it WAS "the good stuff" because it was "Kraft" brand rather than the no-name knock-off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Growing up, that tin of Kraft was what I believed "parmesan cheese" to be. To us, then, it WAS "the good stuff" because it was "Kraft" brand rather than the no-name knock-off.
Never thought of it that way.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

Same here. You could rap the Kraft on the table to break it up. The generic stuff just formed into a clump that wouldn't separate.

I can probably one-up that: peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. :) The sweet and tangy go together well. One thing I learned growing up- don’t waste food. Leftovers are better than going hungry.

when I was seven, eight yrs old in england I still remember our after school snack was always a slice of bread with butter on it, now 40+ yrs later the best thing in the world is home made pandemic bread with Irish butter on it ;)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
when I was seven, eight yrs old in england I still remember our after school snack was always a slice of bread with butter on it, now 40+ yrs later the best thing in the world is home made pandemic bread with Irish butter on it ;)
My afterschool snack was often the same ... but it would be my Mum's home-made bread, usually still warm from the oven!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I couldn't stand that stuff when I was a kid, even the Kraft. It looked like sawdust, smelled like vomit, and didn't really taste like much of anything but salted sawdust that smelled like vomit. I want nothing to do with it, even today.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I couldn't stand that stuff when I was a kid, even the Kraft. It looked like sawdust, smelled like vomit, and didn't really taste like much of anything but salted sawdust that smelled like vomit. I want nothing to do with it, even today.

As a kid, it was the best we knew of, and we poured it into our spag sauce with reckless abandon. We also liked fruit loops and Flintstone multivitamins ... and fought over getting the car.

As an adult I know better and have actual, real, Parmigiano Reggiano!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still my fave snack... with lashings of butter...
irish-brown-soda-bread-image.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a kid, it was the best we knew of, and we poured it into our spag sauce with reckless abandon. We also liked fruit loops and Flintstone multivitamins ... and fought over getting the car.

As an adult I know better and have actual, real, Parmigiano Reggiano!
Good times.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As a kid, it was the best we knew of, and we poured it into our spag sauce with reckless abandon

Oh, I agree. It was the best we all knew about. I piled it on every now and then, too, but only on a dare or competition to see who could add the most, or something else like that. 😂

Top Bottom