What's new

Mushroom hunting

Anyone able to identify these? I have them growing like crazy in some new dirt.
20211008_125654.jpg
20211008_125646.jpg

Thanks for the identification. I really want to get into mushroom hunting, but I am very cautious as my knowledge is so limited right now.

definitely tread with caution as there are common species that can seriously harm you. of course you should be cautious. luckily most poisonous are easily identified. familiarize yourself one by one on local species, learn a much as you can

definitely tread with caution as there are common species that can seriously harm you. of course you should be cautious. luckily most poisonous are easily identified. familiarize yourself one by one on local species, learn a much as you can
They are left to be grown or mowed over. Maybe I will have better luck next year.

I have no idea what these are. I spotted them this morning next to the garage. I do not plan on eating them.

View attachment 1343411

those are Armillaria species, aka honey mushrooms. this is definitely the season, there are seemingly millions out, especially in the southeast. technically edible for some, but not others. there's also a warning of not drinking alcohol 24 hours before or after eating these mushrooms

it actually took a year of trepidation and research before I was actually comfortable in wild foraging mushrooms. I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, but don't feel bad for being cautious
I can so relate. My manager is really into mushroom foraging and his father is extremely knowledgeable. I really want to take the leap, but I am so cautious.

I can so relate. My manager is really into mushroom foraging and his father is extremely knowledgeable. I really want to take the leap, but I am so cautious.

Read the part about how to use the field guide first.

so what are they like? I find edible puffballs but never anything substantial, so I've never tried them

ha, my buddy called me last night about the jacksonii, "dude, I've got to find more of those. they're addictive and taste like cheese and even linger on your palette" I love introducing people to mushrooms and eventually blowing their minds with facts, how some look and/or how they taste! I've collected spores from Amanita jacksonii but I'm almost certain they're mycorhhizal with pine trees, so cultivation may prove to be non-feasible

who wouldn't fall in love with these amazing mushrooms after seeing them on your plate?

View attachment 1334935

Sorry, I just seen your question.
They are very mild flavored, you wouldn't think it was a mushroom. Breaded like this they taste like a very lite breaded cutlet.
It looks like a slice of Wonder bread when cut into - same texture and look, very white.

Went on a hunt yesterday. Was after meadow mushrooms, only found one.
found a handful of shaggy manes but they were already inking.
Went on a hunt yesterday. Was after meadow mushrooms, only found one.
found a handful of shaggy manes but they were already inking.

This has been a great year for every kind of mushroom that I like
except meadow mushrooms.
I still haven't seen any.

Exactly! I would love to be more educated in mushrooms, but I will not take risks.

Hunt, hunt, hunt, and identify, and repeat. And keep going until you know and are sure you know. If you have slightest bit of unsureness, throw it away until you are sure. They'll always be around and you'll have more opportunities. The hunt is half the fun, and can be disheartening walking and walking with no result, but the reward is so good when you find something.

Top Bottom