What's new

Mushroom hunting

OK, I'm at loss... it's obviously a type of shelf fungi. this fuzzy variety has great resemblance to one that grows in the pnw and is critically endangered? more research needs to be done

the second is a huge flush of Berkeleys Polypore the size of a beachball

Attachments

• 20210917_100318.jpg
    20210917_100318.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210917_100312.jpg
    20210917_100312.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210917_141321.jpg
    20210917_141321.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 9
Yes Amanita muscaria, the infamous 'toadstool mushroom', is both toxic AND psychoactive. However, it probably wouldn't be the journey you're looking for. The toxins can be cooked out, however, making it a decent edible

I just harvested some very similar oysters, myself. I must say that I'm a bigger fan of my own cultivated oysters, especially the king oyster. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't find the king oyster (aka king trumpet) absolutely delicious, and they differ from other oysters in that the stipe and cap are equally delicious, whereas with others, really only the caps are cooked and eaten

View attachment 1296756

I just picked and fried up some oysters yesterday.

IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0174.jpg

Agaricus arvensis

Horse mushrooms are out now.

Raw, this has a slight smell of black licorice.
Cooked, it's just like a Portobello.
There's an inedible mushroom that looks just like it
that grows in the same places in early Summer.

This was from a fairy ring of Horse mushrooms growing around a spruce.
I've seen them around birch and I've seen them grow alone in the middle of a lawn,
but they're almost always in a lawn.
The size is part of what makes it special.
Shown on an 11" x 8" piece of paper for scale .

View attachment 1328688

This is part of the fairy ring that mushroom came from.

IMG_0142.jpg

They have pink gills when they are young and fresh.
Later, the gills turn brown, like their spore print.

IMG_0143.jpg
I forgot that horse mushrooms don't dry as easily as some others
and except for the big one that I cooked right away,
the others went rotten.

I thought these guys were pretty cool. they're growing in the flower beds at work. Reddening Lepiota, my best guess. I think they look pretty cool with their high umbos

Attachments

• 20210922_143959.jpg
    20210922_143959.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210922_144008.jpg
    20210922_144008.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210922_143954.jpg
    20210922_143954.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
man, the hobby is spreading like wildfire. I've gotten several people at work into it and they love it more than I do. they said they always wanted to learn but never knew anyone to talk to or learn from. I'm no mycologist (although I've actually considered putting that feather in my cap) but I will definitely teach others what I've learned so far and point them to the same resources.

and I came across a GORGEOUS flush of Amanita jacksonii today, I thought they were gone for he year! nope, found enough for a few people. one of my favorite mushrooms of all time, the Caesar Mushroom, as it was apparently King Caesars favorite meal. they're in the fridge at work and told two budding shroomers at work that I'll show them how to cook them this weekend when things are generally a bit quieter at work. absolutely delicious species that holds up really well during cooking

I have gone to pick morels with my dad a few times a few years ago. We always had them at Christmas time. It was just something to do.
But just last Thursday my brother gave me some Brown meadow mushrooms he picked behind the school, and showed me the field guide he’s been using(all that the rain promises and more…). He got me hooked in that instant. I bought the book and and super pumped to get active again and harvest some tasty eats.

wow, never seen such big...nvm

I've never eaten puff balls, honestly, what are they like? I actually cooked up some the Amanita jacksonii at work today, specifically for a coworker to show how it's done; very simple - real butter, black pepper, sea salt never fails. he was floored, indeed this particular species tastes like a fine cheese

wow, never seen such big...nvm

I've never eaten puff balls, honestly, what are they like? I actually cooked up some the Amanita jacksonii at work today, specifically for a coworker to show how it's done; very simple - real butter, black pepper, sea salt never fails. he was floored, indeed this particular species tastes like a fine cheese

My wife breads them.
1/2 - 3/4" slices, eggs with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
Italian bread crumbs with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese added
Egg dip then breading, then into a pan of seasoned Canola oil (shallow depth). Not trying to deep fry just pan fry.
Cook till golden or a little extra, remove to paper towel and lightly salt when hot.
We use very low sodium sea salt because everything is better with a little salt:)
Very good!!

so what are they like? I find edible puffballs but never anything substantial, so I've never tried them

ha, my buddy called me last night about the jacksonii, "dude, I've got to find more of those. they're addictive and taste like cheese and even linger on your palette" I love introducing people to mushrooms and eventually blowing their minds with facts, how some look and/or how they taste! I've collected spores from Amanita jacksonii but I'm almost certain they're mycorhhizal with pine trees, so cultivation may prove to be non-feasible

who wouldn't fall in love with these amazing mushrooms after seeing them on your plate?

Screenshot_20210926-174908_Chrome.jpg

I've also been looking for meadow mushrooms.
Haven't seen one yet.

I happened to find it in my neighbour’s yard on my way back from my first area of searching. Lol

My brother found a huge load of brown meadows a couple weeks ago behind the school, so that was my second place I checked with no luck.

found a nice flush of oyster mushrooms at work. got hungry before lunch so went ahead and cooked them in just some butter, garlic and herbs. they have a mild seafood flavor

View attachment 1339158
View attachment 1339157

I have seen various explanations for why they are called "oysters" ,
none of them involving taste or flavor,
and I have never thought of them as tasting like oysters.

HOWEVER,
once upon a time, I was cooking them at a friend's house,
and upon returning home, his brother who was allergic to oyster shellfish
exclaimed "Who's cooking oysters?",
because that's the way he perceived the smell.

I have seen various explanations for why they are called "oysters" ,
none of them involving taste or flavor,
and I have never thought of them as tasting like oysters.

HOWEVER,
once upon a time, I was cooking them at a friend's house,
and upon returning home, his brother who was allergic to oyster shellfish
exclaimed "Who's cooking oysters?",
because that's the way he perceived the smell.

it's definitely not due to flavor or smell, but appearance. however, to me they smelled quite strong and definitely were seafood in flavor and mouth feel. they were delicious

I think this might be panaeolus antillarum!?! no bluing, so isn't cyanascens. interesting as they aren't endemic here, I don't think? found on rhino dung at work

20211008_092045.jpg
20211008_092042.jpg

Top Bottom