What's new

Mushroom experiment

We bought these babies at the Saturday farmers market from the mushroom lady. She called the Black Pearls and they cost about the same as filet mignon. My wife has watched some vegan cooking videos and gave it a try. She cooked it in a cast iron using another skillet and a pot of water as a weight. It was delicious, with a little practice, I could see this as a viable meat alternative. I grilled up some burgers in case the experiment was an expensive failure. Mine was a green chile cheeseburger; my wife took hers plain and made a mushroom burger. I ate the mushrooms as a side.
6AFFEC3E-0178-46EB-8408-F50BFBD3DA27.jpeg
6CDB4D37-3B3F-46B8-B36E-5CAF66729069.jpeg
C1FC229B-B72F-44BE-B227-6DBDF7D1BF50.jpeg
6645B69C-2BAB-41EE-965B-98A45181E29A.jpeg

Pine Mushrooms are popping up now in the Skeena Valley in secret spots intrepid foragers have in the forests around here. The "mushroom depots" are paying the pickers $12 CAD a pound depending on the 'grade' of mushroom they are... a pittance compared to the final price per lb when they reach Japan via Vancouver. I have never tried picking or eating 'em myself though. Those Black Pearls are a type of oyster mushroom. Very easy to grow and available as kits and 'spawn' for home growing your own 'shrooms. Check the intercyberweb for "mushroom growing kits" on a search engine and that should steer you to a close by vendor.

Pine Mushrooms are popping up now in the Skeena Valley in secret spots intrepid foragers have in the forests around here. The "mushroom depots" are paying the pickers $12 CAD a pound depending on the 'grade' of mushroom they are... a pittance compared to the final price per lb when they reach Japan via Vancouver. I have never tried picking or eating 'em myself though. Those Black Pearls are a type of oyster mushroom. Very easy to grow and available as kits and 'spawn' for home growing your own 'shrooms. Check the intercyberweb for "mushroom growing kits" on a search engine and that should steer you to a close by vendor.
Never even considered growing mushrooms. That's a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom