What's new

Musgo Real - the real deal??

Musgo mentioned in a daily shave thread recently - have many on here used it? On the surface it seems competitively priced but then I noticed it's only 100ml - which suddenly propels it up the price list, just under the likes of ADP, ABC MDC, Boellis....

Any feedback/ observations appreciated before I buy, but I'm Increasingly being drawn to cream over soap , especially considering you can buy a smaller amount, thus spend less up front, isn't much more per ml as such, and it provides more stock turnover in my biscuit tin!

Been through 2 tubes....lanolin based old school...does the job nothing special.
Id rather use proviso cream tbh.

Interesting! Which ones have you used? They have a Black Edition out which is billed as being a bit more premium again, price is about 30% higher

Ok..when you say Proviso, do you mean Proraso? Lot of love on here for the latter, it's so cheap and seems to outperform a large array of product more expensive than it..

It's a good cream with lanolin, very slick. However, it used to cost less than $10 per tube, which was considered expensive but worth it. For some reason, the price has more than doubled and the maker considers it a luxury product.

It's a good cream with lanolin, very slick. However, it used to cost less than $10 per tube, which was considered expensive but worth it. For some reason, the price has more than doubled and the maker considers it a luxury product.
Yeah looking at their website they seem you have pumped a lot of money into the image, and it does look good...whether that justifies a 250% price hike is another matter entirely!

Old thread on here from 2011, apparently Musgo Real and Ach Brito Lavanda are (or at least used to be) made in same factory, or are the same company??

Yeah looking at their website they seem you have pumped a lot of money into the image, and it does look good...whether that justifies a 250% price hike is another matter entirely!

Old thread on here from 2011, apparently Musgo Real and Ach Brito Lavanda are (or at least used to be) made in same factory, or are the same company??

Same company, I think!

Musgo Real shave cream in tube is nice, not greatest but no slouch!

musgo use.JPG

Lovely pic! Looking to see if anyone had tried their Black Edition yet...heard someone describe Ach Brito Lavanda as " a bit medicinal" which has put me right off, lol..

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They hiked prices by 30% or so about 2 years ago I think. I have the lavender and the oakmoss.

They’re not that concentrated so you tend to use more, and they’re not tops in any category. MR is a classic, old school, lanolin cream that’s sound but not exceptional.

I think Ach Brito lavender (Ach Brito is the parent company) is probably the same cream as MR lavender. Same lanoloin, same performance AFAIK, and the AB is much much cheaper. Try the AB, if you don’t like it you won’t like MR.

They hiked prices by 30% or so about 2 years ago I think. I have the lavender and the oakmoss.

They’re not that concentrated so you tend to use more, and they’re not tops in any category. MR is a classic, old school, lanolin cream that’s sound but not exceptional.

I think Ach Brito lavender (Ach Brito is the parent company) is probably the same cream as MR lavender. Same lanoloin, same performance AFAIK, and the AB is much much cheaper. Try the AB, if you don’t like it you won’t like MR.
Good advice, thanks Steve! Just wondering though even if I don't like the AB lavender, the other MR scents do sound appealing..I'll start with the AB though for sure!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Musgo Classic is a classic patchouli-powder barbershop scent. If you’re into barbershop, it’s worth acquiring. But get the AS not the cream!

I got some Musgo Real lime basil in a trade and I loved it! I definitely wanted more and wanted to explore the other scents but when I got around to actually doing it they jacked up the price! I think it's way overpriced now. I was all-in at around the $10 mark +/-.

Musgo Real is an old cream and it used to be universally (it seemed in the beginning of the forums) loved. So much so that when it was reformulated there was an outcry so loud that Ach Brito reverted to a formula that was very close to the original formula (that used to be mixed in open vats per the marketing lure). The conclusion of that, oh so many years ago, was that users were satisfied that it performed as it used to.

What's happened since I cannot say as I've only used the three formulas up until that time.

But I know that Ach Brito has reformulated their soaps (body soap) a few times to the point that it only resembles what used to be available. Their body soap was top notch back in those days and I used to use it exclusively. When they reformulated I abandoned it.

I suspect that maybe something similar has happened to the cream but I don't know.

In the end, if you like it, use it.

Chri

Musgo Real is an old cream and it used to be universally (it seemed in the beginning of the forums) loved. So much so that when it was reformulated there was an outcry so loud that Ach Brito reverted to a formula that was very close to the original formula (that used to be mixed in open vats per the marketing lure). The conclusion of that, oh so many years ago, was that users were satisfied that it performed as it used to.

What's happened since I cannot say as I've only used the three formulas up until that time.

But I know that Ach Brito has reformulated their soaps (body soap) a few times to the point that it only resembles what used to be available. Their body soap was top notch back in those days and I used to use it exclusively. When they reformulated I abandoned it.

I suspect that maybe something similar has happened to the cream but I don't know.

In the end, if you like it, use it.

Chri
Great post, thanks a million! I am attracted to the Black Edition stuff, the soap sounds good...only one way to find out! Nobody seems to have used Black Edition on here so I think I'll bite, and report back with a review of both cream and soap, what say ye??

That seems to be the general consensus! I'm going to order Black Edition and Orange Amber and revert back with a report..

Top Bottom