What's new

Musgo Real - the real deal??

I had the original and Oak Moss a while back. I recall liking the Oak Moss better; its a nice fougere scent. Original is VERY patchouli forward, and I guess I'm not that much into the hippy bath thing. But I liked the performance of both. Lanolin is awesome stuff. So Musgo is landing in TJ Maxx now (and by extension, Marshall's too hopefully)? Wow, that's cool. I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for that one. I stop in every so often to scour for cheap Proraso, so I guess that's another reason to go. Musgo for sure beats the designer-label crap that usually fills the shaving shelf.

I got two tubes at Marshalls a year ago. I haven't seen them since, but....covid. I would get more if they show up again. At those prices, it's hard to beat.

When I started DE shaving about 9 years ago, Musgo Real was widely popular. I found them on sale back then and bought a tube of each. I liked Spiced Citrus and Amber Orange the most. Lavender and the classic scent were also good, Oak Moss my least favorite (it reminded me of an ex’s perfume). Undortunately, the classic and the Oak Moss hardened in their tubes after a year, so I wasn’t even able to use them up. As lanolin can induce allergies I have not bought Musgo Real again and I definitely won’t at current prices, too many better and cheaper alternatives, especially considering the shelf life problems.

I only tried the Classic version which I think is decent but nothing too earth shaking. The scent is very nice and it lathers great but the postshave feeling is so so at least to me.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favorite creams. I've used orange amber, lavender, lime basil, and spiced citrus. They used to be around $10 but I wouldn't get it at today's prices. Even in Portugal, their prices are way too high. My last purchase was 3 years ago through ebay.

Ach Brito also makes other creams like Lavanda and Mogno which are similar in performance but at much better prices. And there are other Portuguese brands you might want to check out like Veleiro, Top Secret, O Melhor, etc.

Musgo lost me as a customer a long time ago....I think they feel their target has changed
from everyday shavers to Russian oligarchs.

I understand the red to be seen as a premium brand but they have absolutely no standing
to be charging what they do.

OUTRAGEOUS doesn't even come close to describing their pricing.

They are, at best, at par with Proraso IMO, maybe a rung higher.

Ach Brito makes all Claus Porto products including Musgo Real. Claus Porto is their "luxury" brand. They now sell Ach Brito Musgo pucks for about $7.00 retail. Their Ach Brito Mogno shaving puck is one of my favorites and costs around $6.00 retail.

I never tried the vintage stuff or the creams, but in my opinion, AB Mogno punches well above it's weight. YMMV.

musgo real was a good cream in relation to 2005 or so prices. they punched in a higher weightclass and did well against higher priced competition back then - that was their only strength. i remember paying 7 or 8€ in a pharmacy for a tube over here. for 20+€ as right now there is imho zero, absolutely zero, reason to buy it. zero is quite a small number btw.

Yes, considering how well the Musgo Real (Portuguese for Real or Royal Moss) creams performed they used to be a bargain, in line with some much more expensive products, but then Claus Port woke up to the Musgo Real potential and prices started moving up to a level where some people asked themselves whether Musgo Real was really worth it.

Even if I didn’t like it, it seemed to have been a successful strategy, as the Claus Porto Boutiques in Porto and Lisboa (and for a while New York) seem to prove.

For those who turned away from Musgo Real, Ach. Brito, the owner of the Musgo Real brand, has now introduced the Mogno (Portuguese for Mahogany) and Musgo (no ‘Royal’ here) lines.
Both shaving soaps perform very well, Musgo maybe a tad better than Mogno, with the latter also being available as a shaving cream. It seems in the future people will need to start differentiating between ‘Musgo Real’ (Premium) and ‘Musgo’ brands.

Musgo distribution is still limited, with Fendrihan (distributing from both Canada and the US) spearheading on the North American side, albeit with a hefty mark-up.

Here in Portugal the Loja dos Sabonetes Ach. Brito factory store sells the Musgo shaving soap for less than €5 ($6.04), the Mogno shaving soap for less than €4 ($4.83).
I knew there must have been a reason beyond the weather, the food, the wine, and the attractive cost of living when we settled in Portugal after my retirement... :cool:

B.

Last edited:
Today I picked up a tube of Tabac shaving cream for about $3.
If it performs even half as good as the Musgo, it will be my best value buy
this year.

Undortunately, the classic and the Oak Moss hardened in their tubes after a year, so I wasn’t even able to use them up. As lanolin can induce allergies I have not bought Musgo Real again and I definitely won’t at current prices, too many better and cheaper alternatives, especially considering the shelf life problems.

Too late for above problem, but next time a shaving cream thickens in the tube, place it in the fridge for a night and see whether that helps.
Chances are it will, and if after a few weeks the cream should harden again, repeat the whole process.

B.

Out of curiosity I purchased the Black and Lavender Musgo Real tubes - saw them at Pasteurs pharmacy and hadn’t found the lavender online. Definitely too pricey to ever buy them again in the near future but I do enjoy using them when I get around to them.
According to the tube they have a 6 month expiration (Proraso has 12).

the MR Lavender is in a bluish grey tube and is very similar to Ach Brito Lavande in scent which makes but the ingredients are different, and I do feel MR performed better with a better post shave feel.

the Black scent is hard to describe but does remind me of what Proraso Blue smells like. Less fruity than Fine Platinum.

Top Bottom