What's new

Musgo Real shaving cream

R

rum

Posted this in SRP forums, but duplicating it here for maximum exposure :biggrin:

I've been hearing a lot about this brand and given how traditional they are, I've been wanting to try them out.

Does anyone know of where I can get a sample of this from? Ideally in the UK.

Does anyone know if the content of this cream includes anything menthol or menthol-like?

Thanks in advance!

interestingly enough i looked at the package yesterday and i didn't see anything menthol or menthol like on the ingredient list

i dont recall ever feeling a cooling effect but the stuff provides an awesome slick for a very nice and close shave

R

rum

That sounds good enough for me then. I try to avoid menthol products as I've had bad experiences with them in the past. Now all I need is to find out where I can get some samples from...

There is no menthol. (<--- apparently I'm wrong on this)

The main ingredient that Musgo Real contains that most other creams don't is lanolin.

I wouldn't even bother with a sample... it's great stuff.

R

rum

OK then, let me ask a slightly different (open) question: what is the closest thing to it, in your opinion?

Suppose I should be asking a about the aftershave and other products too, but that's a different thread altogether!

OK then, let me ask a slightly different (open) question: what is the closest thing to it, in your opinion?

Suppose I should be asking a about the aftershave and other products too, but that's a different thread altogether!

Hmmmm.... Of the many creams I've tried there is really nothing close to it. It comes in a tube (like Proraso) but it is 'wetter' in consistency than most creams I've used (not really sure how to describe that and it doesn't really effect anything).

Scent - it has a wonderful clean, grassy type of smell. That's about the best I can describe it. It's a very very pleasant scent for waking up in the morning.

R

rum

OK, I'm thinking it could be like traditional Palmolive here in Europe (the dark green coloured tube one)?

I'm thinking about getting it in a tube for travel purposes (well that's my excuse anyway), something I can't do with my Trumper's tub of cream or wooden bowl.

Which of their other products do you recommend I try? I'm not an after shave fan, but I must say I am tempted by the stuff I've read about Musgo's classic after shave.

I've also just seen Aqua di Parma's Barberie collection shaving cream :yikes:. Oh brother, there is no end to it all is there?
(PS: not tried the place on that link, but just found them by chance after a Google search - they look pretty good with free delivery for UK customers.)

The Musgo Real shave cream and the body soap are the only two Musgo Real products I've tried so I can't help you out there.

Check the review section. I'm pretty sure there are some reviews of the aftershave products.

Also, I can't particularly recommend the body soap. It was kind of drying compared to the Claus Porto soaps with shea butter.

R

rum

Thanks, Aaron. To be honest, I'm a little scared of soaps due to their drying effects. I have skin that dries out very easily, body and face wise, so I am inclined to steer clear of it. In any case, that's the reasoning behind my long list of weird questions about this brand.

Unfortunately, not having much luck searching for aftershave / fragrance reviews.

You just need to look harder! :biggrin:

Here you GO.

Also, bar soaps are fine to use and not drying as long as you are using quality soaps (ie not from your local drug store typically).

Here is a post with some info and other links in it about some quality soaps.

I don't know what other people are looking at but my tube of Musgo Real shaving cream lists menthol as an ingredient. Here's the entire list, in order:

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Potassium Silicate, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hamamelis Virginiana(Extracto de Hamamelia), Buxus Chinensis(Oleo de Jojoba), Alcohol, Menthol, CI 77007, CI 19140

I can take a photo and upload if you want to see for yourself.

I don't know what other people are looking at but my tube of Musgo Real shaving cream lists menthol as an ingredient. Here's the entire list, in order:

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Glycerin, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Potassium Silicate, Coconut Oil, Lanolin, Hamamelis Virginiana(Extracto de Hamamelia), Buxus Chinensis(Oleo de Jojoba), Alcohol, Menthol, CI 77007, CI 19140

I can take a photo and upload if you want to see for yourself.

I wasn't looking at mine. But it doesn't provide the cooling sensation that one normally associates with menthol... of course if it is listed last (or almost) like you've shown it then that means there is not much in there.

R

rum

SA, thanks very much for posting that. I think that clears it up for me quite nicely.

I don't know what other people are looking at but my tube of Musgo Real shaving cream lists menthol as an ingredient.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I used the Musgo Real s/c for yesterday's SOTD and as I said then, this one will always be in the regular rotation. Like Aaron stated, it provides a great glistening 'wetter' consistency which lends itself to its slickness. For $9 or $10 a tube it is probably one of the best creams you can buy (regardless of cost). Trumper and ToBS do not put this cream to shame but rather it is on par with them. Coupled with moisturizing qualities of Musgo Real's aftershave, they complement one another perfectly. Cost of the a/s is moderate at about $23 USD.

Musgo was the first 'real' cream I bought. I've loved it since the first lather - it's good stuff. Very moisturizing in my opinion and the scent is very understated, which I prefer. I have samples of a lot of the premium creams from taylor, etc. but the cologne scents mixed in there are just way too overpowering and make my head swim. I'm a musgo and proraso man all the way.

Me too.....Musgo when it's cool, and Proraso when it's hot. I keep it simple. I decided to try the Musgo ASB and the AS splash and my pkg. from Lee's Razors came yesterday. I used the ASB this AM and liked it.
BTW, kudos to Lee....order on Friday & came in on Wed.! (and a free T-shirt to boot!)

Musgo Real! That stuff is the nuts, you must try it! Sooo slick, and it smells lovely, really fresh and clean. Whenever I have a shave with it I feel really squeaky clean afterwards, it's great. The menthol is almost impossible to detect, it certainly doesn't cool your face down, I think it just adds to the fresh smell.

The aftershave is also strongly reccomended, feels great after a shave, plentifully astringent and also very moisturising, despite it's being alcohol based. The smell is great, subtle and really compliments the shave cream.

Top Bottom