What's new

Musgo Real orange amber

I tend to use soaps I know will be kind to my skin, for example, SV or proraso white. Latter is a bargain.
Most creams are good, but irritated my skin. Perhaps the great Castle Forbes is the best.
I decided to treat myself to Musgo Real range, mainly because the ingredient list is small. Not cheap at £20 for 100ml tube. However, a little bit makes very very nice lather with a lovely orange scents, not strong but my poor sense of smell may be a factor.
The lather is very pure and washes off face and razor extremely easily. The sort of lather you want to coat your face at the end of shave as a conditioner.
Cheaper creams, yes, but the lather produced makes it a real pleasure to use, and you can always use it in rotation with something cheaper if you enjoy them. My face feels fab though!

Cheaper creams, yes..
i remember the time when musgo real was available in only one scent, was considered a heavy hitter price/performance wise (compared to the way more expensive british creams back then) and was available in almost every apothecary in town over here...for 7€. seven. siete. sette. sieben.

what i try to say is that musgo was a 'cheaper cream' but just got fancy with new minimalistic design and some new scents. i'll not buy it for 20 (at some places up to 25), just bc i know i paid a third or less.
never. ever. again.
its still the exact same 'cheaper' cream - just for up to 4x more money.

i remember the time when musgo real was available in only one scent, was considered a heavy hitter price/performance wise (compared to the way more expensive british creams back then) and was available in almost every apothecary in town over here...for 7€. seven. siete. sette. sieben.

what i try to say is that musgo was a 'cheaper cream' but just got fancy with new minimalistic design and some new scents. i'll not buy it for 20 (at some places up to 25), just bc i know i paid a third or less.
never. ever. again.
its still the exact same 'cheaper' cream - just for up to 4x more money.

Yes, those were the days…

AFAIK, there was a change in Ach. Brito / Claus Porto management and they figured that they could position Musgo Real into a more upmarket niche.

It is still a great shaving cream and, as you mentioned, a little goes a long way.

It is just sad that they discontinued Lime Basil a few years back.
Together with Classic and Orange Amber this was my favourite Musgo Real scent.

Today, I use more often the (also Portuguese) Antiga Barbearia do Bairro line that has similar scents that I associate with a pleasant warm summer day and that has a similar performance to Musgo Real at little over half the price.

B.

Last edited:
@Roy i apologize, it was the wrong reply to your appreciation thread. if i had a clean slate with it and would try today i guess i would say that its still a nice cream. i can only speculate that its still the same since i just stopped looking for it bc of reasons so i actually dont even know if it is. but, it was that nice that i restocked it and prob still would from a sole quality perspective and cant say this not even remotely for everything i got my hands on.

i just cant get over stuff like this. one day it was in the low 10s and i was giggeling and thinking 'yeah, right, fantasy price - almost doubled, hehe, i'll buy you when you are back at 6'. didnt thought much about it since i already had more than enough stuff. few years passed, looked it up again per accident and it was at 16. my giggeling got a bit more quiet and i didnt know what to think. few years passed again and i saw again per accident that manufactum stocked and listed it - at this point i finally knew it was gone for good, for me, and that the price will never come back.

its a nice cream everybody in the supply chain made money selling at 6-7. apothecaries over here are structured like cartels or mafia-like - its almost as if the rule you making money running an apothecary over here is set in stone and was carried down from mount sinai. they arent exactly mother theresas, doubt claus porto or wholesellers were at the time either.
its still a nice cream but now i assume somebody in this chain is drinking rose in st tropez all summer long. i know its a bit unfair to compare to decade (at least) old prices, inflation yaddayadda, but its just an really astronomical hike almost second to none and the edge it once got over other creams, for me, evaporated just fully bc of it.

its without a doubt a nice cream - everything else here is my highly subjective pov - the only constant is the cream everything else is volatile.

there was a change in Ach. Brito / Claus Porto management

didnt know, makes sense.
yes i think classic was the scent i used
will take a look at the cream you mentioned, thx.

I love Musgo Real and was lucky to find Oakmoss and Lime Basil at the discount stores a few years back. It is a bit pricy now. And, for some reason, I get a small reaction with the original scent (which I LOVE), but not the others.

Anyway, for now, I'm using Lavanda as a pretty close substitute and hoping it does not get "re-positioned" as upscale too. Some day I may try Antiga Barbearia do Bairro as well (does it have lanolin? I live in a very dry climate).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have both the Musgo Classic and the Orange Amber still untried. I've been having some skin issues so I've stuck with Canada Shaving Soap because it's unscented and doesn't affect my skin.

I am really looking forward to trying them. I'm hoping the skin issues don't raise their ugly head when I do.

I know a brick & mortar store that was selling the orange amber for $15 USD per tube just this past winter.

I know a brick & mortar store that was selling the orange amber for $15 USD per tube just this past winter.
That's a bargain. Reason I thought I'd try this soap was the small amount of ingredients. So far, very kind to my skin.

I don't think Antiga Barbearia de Bairro cream is on par with Musgo Real cream.

Unfortunately it is more on par with drugstore / grocery store cream shave level.

Just ok, you can shave with it. But nothing special on its lathering, scent or skin treatment

Maybe it is only me but I can't recommend Antiga Barbearia. Several better option for it's price.

I think this is favourite soap or cream. Half a pea size smeared on the bottom of a bowl, produces a bowl full of luscious lather even in my hard water, with an extremely n8ce orange scents. Shaved like a dream. I'd say this is a cream version of MDC hard soap. Face is left soft smooth and in great shape. The lather washes clean away from brush and bowl so very easily. .

Sooo, you guys convinced me to try a tube of Musgo orange & amber!
(Yes, I overpaid, $24 incl shipping!)
Shaved with it this morning, wonderful!
Both performance and scent were great!
(IMO, the scent closely matches Penhaligon's Castile, which Basenotes describes with bergamot, orange blossom, woods, musk.)

orange creams.jpg

I had a tube of the Musgo Real original cream way back when. It was very nice for $7.50, and that seemed expensive at the time, but I figured it was worth trying at least once.

Sooo, you guys convinced me to try a tube of Musgo orange & amber!
(Yes, I overpaid, $24 incl shipping!)
Shaved with it this morning, wonderful!
Both performance and scent were great!
(IMO, the scent closely matches Penhaligon's Castile, which Basenotes describes with bergamot, orange blossom, woods, musk.)

View attachment 1469111
Pleased you liked it. The scent is not strong, but seems to fill the bathroom each morning. The cream uses very little. Try using half the amount you've tried as it creates tons of lather.

Mogno and Lavanda creams are made by the same company and share a similar list of ingredient to Musgo Real, but are much more reasonably priced

I’m currently 3017’ing a tube of Lavanda. It’s Very good cream wit. plenty of slickness, especially for the price I paid (4€).

Mogno and Lavanda creams are made by the same company and share a similar list of ingredient to Musgo Real, but are much more reasonably priced

I’m currently 3017’ing a tube of Lavanda. It’s Very good cream wit. plenty of slickness, especially for the price I paid (4€).

Love the Mogno shave soap bar.
Tell us about the Mogno cream, please!

ach brito mogno rubberset kai agua lavanda puig july 16 2021.jpg

I bought a bunch of Musgo Real creams for under $12 a tube from ebay. I also got some on a trip to Lisbon, Portugal. I like it but won't pay the US prices for it.

I bought a bunch of Musgo Real creams for under $12 a tube from ebay. I also got some on a trip to Lisbon, Portugal. I like it but won't pay the US prices for it.

It’s not a US thing, it’s that Musgo Real has been elevated to a ‘luxury brand’.

The going rate in Europe at my preferred two sources is in the €22-24 range, with the Classic shaving cream at €16.80. The US prices that I see on ebay are not any better.
The $12 price for a tube seems to be a thing of the past, when did you buy it?

B.

It’s not a US thing, it’s that Musgo Real has been elevated to a ‘luxury brand’.

The going rate in Europe at my preferred two sources is in the €22-24 range, with the Classic shaving cream at €16.80. The US prices that I see on ebay are not any better.
The $12 price for a tube seems to be a thing of the past, when did you buy it?

B.
2018 on ebay and 2019 in Portugal. I won't buy it at today's prices

Top Bottom