What's new

Musgo Real Orange Amber: Initial Review

EA02C0C3-A2AA-4B77-B134-AF5D967C04E1.jpeg
D6C2750F-7E03-4F51-A36F-AB5794C017AA.jpeg

Claus Porto’s Musgo Real is a brand I'm familiar with before I became a wet shaving enthusiast. I've always loved their packaging, and I was fortunate enough to get a big bar of soap years ago as a gift. Surprisingly, in my just over 1.5 years of wet shaving, I've acquired many more soaps than creams, but when I see Musgo at 50% off ($12/tube at a local shop), I can no longer resist. I dove in and made the purchase. I got the Orange Amber.

According to the manufacturer's website, "The lanolin and glycerine in this shaving cream soften the beard, allowing for a closer, longer-lasting shave. The formula also leaves the skin moisturised after shaving"

Claus Porto describes the scent as "fresh" and more specifically "This shaving cream leaves in the skin and hair a fine layer of our Orange Amber scent, a blend of notes of sweet mandarin with the freshness of bergamot and the depth of amber.
Top Notes: Petitgrain, aldehydic accord, mandarin
Heart Notes: Lemon, lavender, bergamot
Base Notes: Orange blossom, musk, amber"

Let me give you my initial impressions.

The scent is soapy, with tones of lavender, citrus and musk. Strength is about a 4/10. Strong enough to smell, but not overwhelming at all.

I was told by a knowledgeable gentleman that i should lather this with a rather dry brush and be very stingy when adding the water.
Here's what I did. I soaked my Stirling 24mm Fan Badger for about a minute and gave it three good shakes. I loaded a generous almond size squeeze into my trusty Martha Stewart Cereal Bowl and went to work. I very slowly and stingily added a few drops of water and continued to lather. It started building. I added a few more drops, and continued to whip it like Devo, it continued to build. The third of fourth time, it built into an amazing lather that was thick, with peaks, but also shiny and slick. I had enough for a five pass shave if i needed it. I do believe the bowl lathering made it easier for me to work it to perfection.

I took it to my face for a three pass with my Schick Injector to cut down 4 days of growth. It formed a great lather on my face and performed flawlessly with each pass. It seemed to get better with each pass, with incredible post residual slickness (not that i needed it). Post shave is excellent, just as the CP states "moisturized after shaving." It didn't leave my skin dry at all and didn't leave it with any irritation. I performed my usual post shave routine of a cold rinse, followed by alum, another cold water rinse, Thayer's, and today I used Pitralon Classic aftershave and followed that with Nivea sensitive moisturizer.

At $12-15/tube, I highly recommend this classic cream, particularly if you don't have issues with lanolin or glycerine. At full retail, there are better fish in the sea, however, I will increase the vote because of the stylish packaging and the fact you can get matching bath soap, and cologne. And in the classic scent, you can get matching shave cream, aftershave, bath soap and cologne.

Last edited:
Their shaving cream is one of my favourites. I bought 2 of the lavender and 2 of the spiced citrus at about 30% off retail. Excellent stuff!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Very good shaving cream that requires only little product.
I get excellent results from it.

The Orange Amber reminds me of a Christmas holiday in Morocco, when it was pretty much the only shaving cream I had taken along, and where you could smell freshly harvested oranges all over the countryside.

Unfortunately, Ach Brito has increased prices to the extent that shavers start looking at alternative products and some sellers have started to reduce the range of or drop Musgo Real altogether.

Another Musgo Real cream that I very much enjoyed was Basil Lime, but this one has sadly been discontinued.

B.

I have only used the original formula, though I have sampled the scent of the newer creams. It sounds as though the newer scents have the same performance of the original.

Top Bottom