What's new

Museums

Has anyone been to an exhibition recently? The last time for me was the American Painter, Edward Hopper, on Monday, March 9th. Now, we all are going to have to wait a while.

Attachments

• P1000662.JPG
    P1000662.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not lately, but want to hit the Kimbell soon. They have a special exhibit of Italian masterpieces from the Capodimonte Museum running through mid-June.

Edward Hopper and the American Hotel was at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts when we were there in November. But we went to see the Fabergé.

Recently, the works of the (deceased) American artist James Rizzi were exhibited in Balingen, a town near Tübingen, Germany. Like me, James Rizzi was a New Yorker.

P1040639.JPG
P1040736.JPG

Last one I went was The Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City.

They had an exhibition on pieces that served as inspiration for Pablo Picasso’s work. Pretty cool stuff.

I have being thinking of doing some virtual galleries but haven't made time for it.

Museums near me have been shut for a while....
Some of them are doing guided virtual tours live thru video conference but you got to make a reservation and pay in advance to get the info to connect.

We did one back in August from the Smithsonian history museum on Egypt civilization. It was good and I enjoyed the comfort of my home but is definitely not the same as the actual museum.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not in YEARS. Maybe a decade or more. I collect artwork from friends though. I have 4 paintings on the wall that friends did. For me that’s more valuable than someone I don’t know.

On a side note I worked at children’s museum For about a year. That was a lot of fun. Except when I had to clean the bathrooms. Other than that it was great fun.

When I was about 15 we had a school trip to the Science Museum in London which I found fascinating. I also quite liked the Ipswich Museum in my home town, it has a lot of natural history exhibits including a life sized wooly mammoth, but I don't really get "art". I have been to the Louvre, and queued to see the Mona Lisa, it's ok I guess. I spent a weekend in Amsterdam and was dragged through every museum there, a fair number as you can imagine. I was quite impressed by The Night Watch given the size of it, but overall not a weekend I would care to repeat.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Gauthier:
The Mrs. and I visited some awesome museums in Washington D.C. many years ago and while we were in Rome, the 'must-go' place would be the Vatican Museums (the Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo is simply 'stunning'). :thumbsup:

In Amsterdam the Mrs. and I visited the Rijksmuseum (National), Amsterdam (also a 'must' see'), with Rembrandt's "Night Watch" (Nachtwacht) will steal your breath away.

The Rijksmuseum is also known for its large collection of paintings by great masters of the 17th century, such as Frans Hals, Jan Steen, and Vermeer (don't forget to visit The Rembrandt House Museum).

proxy.php
"A good museum is a place where time is transformed into a collection of memories". CBJ

Last edited:
It's been since per-COVID, but during the initial lockdown one of our local museums - Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens - had a wonderful series of Zoom talks on different painters and painting styles, hosted by one of the curators. There was one on presidential portraits, one on cowboy myth throughout art, and another focusing on the work of Bob Thompson. They are on YouTube if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom