What's new

Muscle cars

Don't overlook the humble early/mid 60s Nova. A very pedestrian looking ride, but a lot of space under the hood. And a 350 V8 from a wrecked vette is very nearly a drop in / bolt up engine swap. Just needs a different oil pan, water pump, and for lots of stop and go driving, a bigger radiator. A '63 Nova with the 350 in it will run like a turkentine cat, and nobody looking at you sitting at the light would ever suspect that you can absolutely smoke many of the so-called muscle cars until you pop clutch and stomp gas. If you get a real expert to match the engine, rear end, tranny, carb(s) and headers, that granny car will impress and delight you but not break you at the gas pump. I had a '63 and most of the identifying chrome was gone, making it almost a mystery car. . . .

That's why the Beach Boys wrote the song about it:

"She's my little deuce coup, you don't know what I got."

Actually I have always thought this is what the Beach Boys had in mind:

proxy.php

If I was in your shoes I'd get a 70 or 71 GTO. To me these are the best looking muscle cars and they have all the power to boot.

I love muscle cars and have owned a few over the years. I would have to say that the ford mustangs have always been my favorite. Loved the 70's. I now own a 2006 GT and it still has muscle.

If you want something less often done as a project car, I think the Plymouth Satellite and Dodge Monaco are really fine looking cars, somewhat off the radar of most muscle car fans.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Does this count? LOL
it had 8 miles on it when i drove it off the showroom floor back in '05.

$100_1534.jpg

Mercury Cyclone Dan Gurney Special or Cale Yarborough Special. CJ is not bad either.
I also like the lines of the Torino GT.

Attachments

• $specials.jpg
    $specials.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 98
  • $cj.jpg
    $cj.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 98
  • $thCA8NT1ZW.jpg
    $thCA8NT1ZW.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 100
I always favored the mid-60's GM muscle cars since I had a '66 LeMans V8. I was in college and couldn't swing the GTO option at the time. If I had the money, I'd be looking for a '66 Buick (Skylark) GS. Not the fastest (401ci/340hp), but rather uncommon since they made less than 14,000. I also wouldn't mind having an '87 Buick Grand National turbo.

I had a 65 Skylark that I loved. I got it in college in mint shape with 30K miles on it. Rather than the Grand National though I liked the 87 Buick Turbo T-Type. I think they were a little faster due to being lighter and I liked the fact they looked like a sleeper. With very little money they could be made to run low 11's.

For a first American muscle car, I would go with a Ford Mustang. They made an awful lot of them, which means you can still get them relatively cheap (have you priced old Camaros or Corvettes lately?) You can find parts and mechanics just about anywhere, and that goes for both stock and aftermarket. They are smaller and lighter than most other muscle cars, which means that you can go fast with less motor. Ford Falcons and Mercury Cougars are a little more rare, but offer the same benefits, as they both shared a chassis and drive train with the Mustang.

Chevy Novas from the early 1970's are another inexpensive choice. This would include Lagunas and Malibus as well, because they were essentially the same car. They were not true muscle cars back in the day, but you can put any Chevy engine you want in them and go as fast as you dare. The '72 Nova is a particular favorite of mine: it always looked like a cross between a Camaro and a GTO to me.

View attachment 276211

My first car was a 72 Super Sport, 4 speed, 350. Dark green. Bought it in 74, it had been ridden hard. My dad and I rebuilt the engine - already had an Offenhauser 360 manifold and headers, but I added the Holly 750 double pumper. I loved that car. Should be against the law to put a 18 year old in a car like that.

-jim

Don't forget the Buick GSX and GS 455 which had some sick torque and later on the grand national. Yenko did some nice stuff to camaros and corvairs. A buddy of mine has the hurst olds also a torque monster. So many cars half the fun is the research

Yup, I have a Buick Skylark with a 455 in it. Love it. My first car and it'll never leave my garage :)

Top Bottom