What's new

Murray's Superior As Moustache Wax

During a rare bout of insomnia (it's 3 am as I write this) I decided to try out Murray's Superior in lieu of moustache wax for my handlebar. At one point in time I briefly used Murray's in my hair, but it was too hard to wash out, and had a tendency of being heavy. In my moustache it feels great though. It actually feels light (something I never thought I'd say about Murray's) compared to moustache wax and was very easy to work with (again, something I never thought I'd say about Murray's). Unlike most waxes where you style and you're pretty much done for the day (besides minor touch ups) Murray's is completely reworkable, so always having perfectly symmetrical curls shouldn't be a problem. Indeed, I got perfect handlebar curls on my first try with Murray's. The question will be how it holds throughout the day tomorrow (I will re-apply and re-style when I wake up, of course).

The one downside is that with the waxes I currently use (a combination of Badger Navigator wax and Firehouse Wacky Tacky wax) I get a very full, natural looking moustache, whereas with the Murray's it isn't quite as full or natural looking. So while things look very neat and pristine, it feels like I've sacrificed a tiny bit of manly fullbodiedness.

I will see how it goes tomorrow and let you all know. If this works out, it would be the cheapest moustache wax of all time :lol:

Does anyone else have experience using Murray's in their moustache? I think I've seen one or two people mention it around here before.

It's not a product I'm familiar with, honestly. lol I can't imagine something made for hair having enough hold for a handlebar mustache wax. Difficult to wash out of the hair, indeed. lol

strop

Now half as wise
It's not a product I'm familiar with, honestly. lol I can't imagine something made for hair having enough hold for a handlebar mustache wax. Difficult to wash out of the hair, indeed. lol

Never used it for hair, but my thoughts exactly. Wouldn't work for my 'stache, but I've seen photos of guys with very straight beard hair. Mine is just too wiry for something like that to work and hold.

Some days I can't get anything to hold and end up with an English style of sorts, with just a little gradual upturn. Like today:angry:

I actually have serious issues getting moustache wax to hold my hair in place nicely, so I wouldn't call my hairs straight or tame (the right side curls up and the left side curls down, and the hairs are very adamant about which direction they like to go). The Murray's has really impressed me over the past few days though. It has held my moustache in place better than any other product I've used so far, and is very easy to shape and style. Due to its nature restyling is very easy, so if you eat and make a mess of your stache it's not really an issue. It's also surprisingly easy to get out. I'm not sure if it's because it's a small amount of hair and uses a small amount of product or what, but it washes out fairly easily. The only downside is that I have seen a pimple come in, but that could have been on its way already (it showed up after the first day of use). So far I haven't broken out since, so I'm not convinced it was caused by the Murray's.

I would definitely recommend everyone try this product, it's made caring for my moustache a lot easier. It's only like $2 a tin (which is the size of roughly three tins of moustache wax) and can be found at most Wal Mart's/larger drugstores.

I might have to try this since I've got some murrays I don't use (same issue, takes like 4 days to get completely out of my hair)...

murrays lasts forever too...

strop

Now half as wise
the right side curls up and the left side curls down, and the hairs are very adamant about which direction they like to go

Man I can relate to that. I will definitely be giving this stuff a try.

I tried it but my moustache isn't long enough to really need wax so its not really a useful test, I'll have to test it a bit later as I let it grow out for movember. it seems like it'll work pretty well though.

Have you guys tried it yet? I'm very curious to see how it turns out for others.

Tried it this morning and was ok I , like you use mostly firehouse but found this summer that the AZ heat just left is very gummy. I did find the Murray to be very easy to re-work however. will keep testing it I recently had been using Got2b glued mostly on the tips but if your don't work it right away, its done. It is water soluble so for the AZ heat it is pretty good but although prisitine you can jackhammer with this stuff. Lately I have found and I know this sounds weird a light coat of clubmans combed through for the fullness and then a very light coat of the Got2b combed through and shaped, and once dried it is there for the duration. Will keep trying the Murrays though as it is much easier to re-work after easting or drinking Just my 2 Cents YMMV

strop

Now half as wise
OK, so I tried this today. The consistency is much like Lucky Tiger, in that the petroleum jelly is readily apparent. I worked a fair amount in and combed it thru. It would probably be OK for the body of the stache , but the ends simply would not curl. Had to use the Firehouse for that.

Unfortunately Murray's has a distinct yellow color, and even the small amout I used started to give that yellow tinge to my white hair. This is the same problem that prevents me from using a lot of good waxes. I may try mixing it with some white beeswax, which I have done with the LT, but I'm not optomistic it will lighten it enough.

Now we'll have to see if I'm brave enough to use it on my hair!

I hadn't thought of it yellowing your hair, but then my hair is quite black. This definitely sounds like a case of YMMV, as it seems to work wonders for me but the two people who have tried it now have had mixed results.

OK, so I tried this today. The consistency is much like Lucky Tiger, in that the petroleum jelly is readily apparent. I worked a fair amount in and combed it thru. It would probably be OK for the body of the stache , but the ends simply would not curl. Had to use the Firehouse for that.

Unfortunately Murray's has a distinct yellow color, and even the small amout I used started to give that yellow tinge to my white hair. This is the same problem that prevents me from using a lot of good waxes. I may try mixing it with some white beeswax, which I have done with the LT, but I'm not optomistic it will lighten it enough.

Now we'll have to see if I'm brave enough to use it on my hair!

Ahaa, that explains it, could not figure out why, some of the "white" hair was that tinge, hold was ok today, but I am having the same issue on the tips. going to keep experimenting. but today was not the day LOL a funny story to appear in our League Forum in a bit

strop

Now half as wise
I hadn't thought of it yellowing your hair, but then my hair is quite black. This definitely sounds like a case of YMMV, as it seems to work wonders for me but the two people who have tried it now have had mixed results.

For the price, I was really wanting this to work!

Top Bottom