What's new

Murray's pomade

What do folks use for a hair dressing anyway?

I am white with sort of wavy/curly hair--not all that curly, though. Thinning, I suppose. I had never thought of using pomades previously, but Axe, of all brands, came out with this line of various hair products, and among them "for the refined, clean-cut look" is a pomade. Not bad.

But I grabbed some Murray's for less than $3 for a good-sized tin. Used sparingly, this stuff seems great. Gives my hair a nice texture and shine. Keeps it in place. Makes it less frizzy. Seems to make it fuller. What could be better.

All sorts of pomades out there, including an Australian bees wax version that looked interesting. Anyone have any experiences to report?

I have used various gels (including Clubman), creams, putties, lotions (including Jervis), sprays. All seemed useful, nothing seemed all that exciting. This does.

I use a ton of the stuff. I sport a classic pompadour and have tried a number of different pomades searching for the best for me. I use a healthy dab of Murray's for strong hold with Royal Crown over the top for a nice shine to it.

Que the "dapper dan man" comments that typically accompany every pomade thread.

I use a ton of the stuff. I sport a classic pompadour and have tried a number of different pomades searching for the best for me. I use a healthy dab of Murray's for strong hold with Royal Crown over the top for a nice shine to it.

Que the "dapper dan man" comments that typically accompany every pomade thread.

I have about as standard a businessman's haircut as imaginable. I can sure see this stuff as useful for a DA. The Royal Crown, too. Nothing wrong with a pomp. Kind of high maintenance compared to what I am up to. I might have thought of them for that.

I am talking about a pretty subtle use of the Murray's in my case. Nothing highly styled. I'm loving the stuff, though.

I forgot about the Groom and Clean thread.

Groom and Clean.

Groom and Clean is great stuff huh Kouros?? I used to use Murrays and the heavier pomades till I shed my pompadour, for a conservative old school businessman side part. I just went out and stocked up on several tubes, this stuff is so great for slicking back or a part, only traditional product I have ever found that will produce a high shine wet look and wash out so easily, I mix it with Vitalis apply it and can touch it up throughout the day and have a nice look all day long.

Groom and Clean is great stuff huh Kouros?? I used to use Murrays and the heavier pomades till I shed my pompadour, for a conservative old school businessman side part. I just went out and stocked up on several tubes, this stuff is so great for slicking back or a part, only traditional product I have ever found that will produce a high shine wet look and wash out so easily, I mix it with Vitalis apply it and can touch it up throughout the day and have a nice look all day long.

Thanks. Different look that what I have been working with, but ***. I am buying some. I like the Vitalis mix in idea.

Thanks. Different look that what I have been working with, but ***. I am buying some. I like the Vitalis mix in idea.

Yes it's good stuff. Actually another Badger and Blade mbr gave me the Vitalis idea. Some people don't like the somewhat stronger smell of Groom and Clean, but I find that once you distribute it through your hair it changes and mellows, and mixing in a little vitalis gives it a more classic barbershop scent. It does not provide as much hold as Murrays but it also will not weigh your hair down and you can comb thru it much easier. If you don't find you get enough hold with it, perhaps mix in a bit of Murrays. Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

I find the Murray's too heavy, but if used with a light touch, its great for keeping short hair neat and tidy (the same applies for any of the heavier products that consist primarily of vasoline).

I have the Trumper stuff and, while its not worth the price (I traded it with a member), its good stuff - very heavy (similar to the Murray's).

I've also got some Eboline Coconut Oil hair conditioner (has vitamin E and I think some olive oil as well) - I find that the products that have coconut oil, olive oil, lanolin, etc. do provide some conditioning and are a little easier to wash out.

If you're in Canada, the Booster Olive On is a good product.

If you're interested in trying any of these products, the best place to look is any store that has a good selection of hair products aimed at African-Americans.

I find the Murray's too heavy, but if used with a light touch, its great for keeping short hair neat and tidy (the same applies for any of the heavier products that consist primarily of vasoline).

I have the Trumper stuff and, while its not worth the price (I traded it with a member), its good stuff - very heavy (similar to the Murray's).

I've also got some Eboline Coconut Oil hair conditioner (has vitamin E and I think some olive oil as well) - I find that the products that have coconut oil, olive oil, lanolin, etc. do provide some conditioning and are a little easier to wash out.

If you're in Canada, the Booster Olive On is a good product.

If you're interested in trying any of these products, the best place to look is any store that has a good selection of hair products aimed at African-Americans.

Your right the Olive On is a great product, I got a sample of it a few months ago and recently tried it, it really conditions the hair and gives it a really nice shine.

I've tried pretty much everything and if you want the best bang for your buck, then stay with the Murray's line. Murray's Super Light, Excelento, and the original Murray's are my favorites. If used correctly they do not make your hair look dirty or greasy.

The American Crew grooming cream and pomade products are good but way overpriced.

Groom and Clean is excellent, but doesn't have much hold.

All of the hair gels suck in my opinion.

And don't forget the Cool Grease products. Very good hold. Good shine and they wash out easily. Saying that I have a tin each of Murray's Super lite and the regular. I have to be careful with blond hair though. It goes from looking groomed to grimy in about ten seconds if I overdo it.

Regards, Todd

Oh by the way. As for the Dapper Dan and Fop comments, I am stunned these two names have not been branded on some hair product somewhere. A sure fired seller I'll warrant. And no, I am not joking.

Regards, Todd

This is really helpful. Thanks, everyone. Lots of good stuff to try. Definitely some interesting and useful looking stuff over in the African American hair products section that I know nothing about.

My hair is a medium length, I guess I would say. Re the Murray's, I am talking about using a very light touch indeed. I do not think it is really noticeable that I am using a hair product at all. My hair just stays in place and does not have any frizzle, and maybe has a bit more shine or at least a healthy look. I just never would have thought to use Murray's in this way.

I think the Groom and Clean would be a different look, but one I am interested in, too.

Meh, I don't care for Murray's.

I sport a pompadour myself, and when it's short enough I use the Clubman stuff. When it gets a little longer I go for the Dax High & Tight. These are the ones in camouflaged cans, one being Super Shine and one is the Super Hold. I usually layer them.

The problem I had with Murray's and Royal Crown was the smell. Dax has a pretty nice smell to it compared with the other two, for me.

+1 on the Royal Crown. I like the smell myself, and it can be used thick or rubbed between your palms to thin it. Lasts a long time, and comes in a classic container.

proxy.php

I've tried pretty much everything and if you want the best bang for your buck, then stay with the Murray's line. Murray's Super Light, Excelento, and the original Murray's are my favorites. If used correctly they do not make your hair look dirty or greasy.

The American Crew grooming cream and pomade products are good but way overpriced.

Groom and Clean is excellent, but doesn't have much hold.

All of the hair gels suck in my opinion.

How does the American Crew compare to Murray's? Where do you pickup Murray's, I've never heard of it.

I'm also looking for a new product to try. I have the springiest hair known to man, and it's difficult to manage for sure. I use American Crew now, because of a discount, but I've never been satisfied with anything I've tried.

While I have no top knot for the pomade (you guys with hair irritate me to no end :biggrin:) I do often find myself wondering if one of these old school pomades would work for twisting up my handlebar moustache or is it not "stiff" enough?

The Murray's web site under something like styles and stuff galleries has a guy with a big 'stache apparently using Murray's as stache wax. I would think it is plenty stiff enough.

Great web site. I did not realize there was this hip mystic to this stuff. Is is very inexpensive. I do not find that it smells at all. Again, I am using the tiniest amounts.

Love the Royal Crown container, too. I had some of that somehow a very long time ago. I remember it as being pretty greasy and shiny, and very much a petroleum jelly. To me Murray's has more a waxy texture, like a butch wax or something.

Top Bottom