What's new

Murray's pomade

I keep my hair along the lines of a businessman cut. I use either Royal Crown or pomade (picked up a tin of Bluebird Pomade recently). Working it in takes a little bit. As for removal - I've been using Dax Vegetable Oil shampoo - takes a couple of run throughs to get it out. I've also seen the tip to use a grease cutting detergent, like Dawn, to dissolve and remove the pomade and then follow up with something like the Dax. I haven't tried it yet though.

After every day being a bad hair day, or a concrete hair day (too much gel, etc); I purchased some Royal Crown today.

Threw a lil' in after work to try and tame it...I think I like this stuff already.

I generally only use Hair tonic. Brand Eau d' quinne. Got it from classicshaving.com. Works great for me all day.

Occasionally I will use pomade, but only if my hair is unmanagble.

To start off, I've got shorter to mid length curly, frizzy hair. If it was red, I could almost be Bozo's son. My mom used to hold me upside down and use me for a mop.

I wished as a kid to have straight or just wavy hair. The only time as a teen it the '70s that I liked my hair was when afros, or naturals for us white guys, was in.

Military was good because the hair was to short to "take off".

Now I've learned to embrace, actually like my curls. Not the callics, though.

And the search began to control the hair and the frizz. In my never ending search for domination, I have accumulated and use, depending on how I feel at the moment....

Blue Magic Hair and Scalp conditioner Sally's ethnic section really heavy, like vaseline. pleasant scent
got2be weightless pomade meh combined with Vitalis better
Master Well Comb hair dressing
Groom and Clean
Brylcream
Body Shop Coconut Oil Hair Shine
Jeris Hair Tonic w/oil

Last couple of days I've been trying the Groom and Clean and Vitalis combo a couple of you guys have mentioned. I liked it.

I also used my military brush with it once. Not a bad finish. But with hair as thick as mine, that brush won't go the scalp.

Usually Usually I just gunk up my hair and run my fingers through it, front to back. Or use a large, sparse toothed brush and go left to right, rearward.

I've been thinking about a pomp, but don't know if my hair type will handle it. Anyone here with my hair type ever pull it off? Complete failure? constant battle?

Good combing,

Kev

To start off, I've got shorter to mid length curly, frizzy hair. If it was red, I could almost be Bozo's son. My mom used to hold me upside down and use me for a mop.

I wished as a kid to have straight or just wavy hair. The only time as a teen it the '70s that I liked my hair was when afros, or naturals for us white guys, was in.

Military was good because the hair was to short to "take off".

Now I've learned to embrace, actually like my curls. Not the callics, though.

And the search began to control the hair and the frizz. In my never ending search for domination, I have accumulated and use, depending on how I feel at the moment....

Blue Magic Hair and Scalp conditioner Sally's ethnic section really heavy, like vaseline. pleasant scent
got2be weightless pomade meh combined with Vitalis better
Master Well Comb hair dressing
Groom and Clean
Brylcream
Body Shop Coconut Oil Hair Shine
Jeris Hair Tonic w/oil

Last couple of days I've been trying the Groom and Clean and Vitalis combo a couple of you guys have mentioned. I liked it.

I also used my military brush with it once. Not a bad finish. But with hair as thick as mine, that brush won't go the scalp.

Usually Usually I just gunk up my hair and run my fingers through it, front to back. Or use a large, sparse toothed brush and go left to right, rearward.

I've been thinking about a pomp, but don't know if my hair type will handle it. Anyone here with my hair type ever pull it off? Complete failure? constant battle?

Good combing,

Kev
Can you post a picture of your hair?

I use a ton of the stuff. I sport a classic pompadour and have tried a number of different pomades searching for the best for me. I use a healthy dab of Murray's for strong hold with Royal Crown over the top for a nice shine to it.

Que the "dapper dan man" comments that typically accompany every pomade thread.

Second the Murray's recommendation. One exception: mix with dab of Vitapointe dressing. Application is key: washcloth already soaking in HOT sink water. Squirt (dime size) of Vitapointe in the palm. Other hand grab the blow dryer and place directly into open tin of Murray's Original; it will melt a bit. Put the dryer down, quickly run 2 fingers through heated pomade tin and mix thoroughly with the Vitapointe in your other palm. Massage through hair. Squeeze washcloth and press on head for 30-60 seconds. Comb through to style. Quite simple, one you've tried it a couple times.

Businessman (as am I) or not, this is a neat, clean look. Just experiment with the amount of Murray's. 2 fingers full is good to comb mine straight back; no pompadour.

*From a "maintenance" perspective, this is really quite efficient overall. The hair doesn't get shampooed every day, which keeps more of it on your head, and blow drying for style isn't necessary; can if you wish, though.

Groom and Clean is great stuff huh Kouros?? I used to use Murrays and the heavier pomades till I shed my pompadour, for a conservative old school businessman side part. I just went out and stocked up on several tubes, this stuff is so great for slicking back or a part, only traditional product I have ever found that will produce a high shine wet look and wash out so easily, I mix it with Vitalis apply it and can touch it up throughout the day and have a nice look all day long.

SlickMike if you like Groom and Clean, try Vitapointe dressing. For a short cut, it does quite well, little better hold than the G&C on straight hair. Also, great for in between days on the Murray's; hot washcloth works well.

I used to sport the pomp and Murray's was it. It kept my hair in place and it fell out of line I'd just comb it back up and I was golden.

Then when I had long hair (metal band days) I'd still thrown in just a dab of Murray's to keep my feathered hair at bay. Seriously, my hair would have made Farrah Fawcett jealous. The Murray's kept me from looking like a Charlie's Angels stunt double (ya know, if the Angel's were some burly dudes.)

Now I just shave my head with my Wahl trimmers (no guard) and I'm happy. Hair is just a pain in the ***. Before I started working for the PFD I thought "Those guys and their shaved heads and Village People Biker mustaches." Well, I have the shaved head but I'm still 20 years too young for the Village People Biker mustache.

I used to sport the pomp and Murray's was it. It kept my hair in place and it fell out of line I'd just comb it back up and I was golden.

Then when I had long hair (metal band days) I'd still thrown in just a dab of Murray's to keep my feathered hair at bay. Seriously, my hair would have made Farrah Fawcett jealous. The Murray's kept me from looking like a Charlie's Angels stunt double (ya know, if the Angel's were some burly dudes.)

Now I just shave my head with my Wahl trimmers (no guard) and I'm happy. Hair is just a pain in the ***. Before I started working for the PFD I thought "Those guys and their shaved heads and Village People Biker mustaches." Well, I have the shaved head but I'm still 20 years too young for the Village People Biker mustache.

Okay, so I'm intrigued by the pomp. How long does your hair have to be to pull it off?

Okay, so I'm intrigued by the pomp. How long does your hair have to be to pull it off?

Not really long. The length of hair is irrelevant, as it will only mean your pomp size is relative to the length of your hair. So long as it's two or three inches long in most places, you'll be golden.

A pomp depends more on the way your hair is cut/styled. It has to be longer in the front than it is in the back. My hair is probably two and a half-three inches long in most spots, but the front "bang" area is an inch or two longer, as that's what actually gets combed backwards.

Not really long. The length of hair is irrelevant, as it will only mean your pomp size is relative to the length of your hair. So long as it's two or three inches long in most places, you'll be golden.

A pomp depends more on the way your hair is cut/styled. It has to be longer in the front than it is in the back. My hair is probably two and a half-three inches long in most spots, but the front "bang" area is an inch or two longer, as that's what actually gets combed backwards.

I have very straight hair, sticks out. Think I'll have any issues? Or will I just require more pomade to get it styled?

I have very straight hair, sticks out. Think I'll have any issues? Or will I just require more pomade to get it styled?

All hair, regardless of tenacity, eventually tames under the cover of pomade :biggrin:. You shouldn't have any problems. I had to use more when I first started using it than I do now, mainly because my hair has since been "trained" to kind of fall into position before I start dabbing on the Dax.

As an African American, I'm aware of a lot of products aimed at holding and controlling hair. Murray's and Royal Crown are medium-light hold at best. If you really wanna go hard core try a product called 360 Style. It's cheap enough to PIF or even toss in the trash if it doesn't agree with you AND it's water soluble so it washes out fairly easily. If you're into You Tube, look at some of the clips under the heading 360 Waves. Believe it or not, those clips led me to B&B. Eager to know your thoughts. Oh, and if this stuff doesn't hold a handlebar mustache in place, nothing will.

Love Murrays but wife had a fit with the pillowcases! I wear a moderate pomp (not terribly high, but high enough) which I like to wear with a wet look. Murrays was perfect, but startred trying some of the water soluables to please the wife. Layrite works great for style but 1) is too expensive @ $15 & 2) doesn't have the shine of Murray's. (That said, I still really like it.) Picked up 360 Style last week for $3 and and the hold is great for my thick hair and it has better shine than Layrite (but doesn't smell half as nice) For those of you out there who have to tone down the grease but still need the look & feel, 360 Style is a must try.

I currently use american crew and was thinking about trying some of this stuff, until I read this on their website:

To remove the product. Murray's was originally formulated to stay in the hair, therefore, getting it out may be difficult for some hair types. Use a strong clarifying shampoo or liquid dishwashing soap and work into dry hair, slowly add small amounts of water to build foam, as the foam dissipates add more water, do this a few times prior to rinsing. There are many other ways which customers have submitted to us including, wash with Coca-Cola, Use a hair dryer and a fine toothed comb to melt the wax and pull it out.

V

VR6ofpain

Damn. I was going to get some of this for my brother (he uses pomade). Guess I'll no longer be doing that. Nasty.

I currently use american crew and was thinking about trying some of this stuff, until I read this on their website:

To remove the product. Murray's was originally formulated to stay in the hair, therefore, getting it out may be difficult for some hair types. Use a strong clarifying shampoo or liquid dishwashing soap and work into dry hair, slowly add small amounts of water to build foam, as the foam dissipates add more water, do this a few times prior to rinsing. There are many other ways which customers have submitted to us including, wash with Coca-Cola, Use a hair dryer and a fine toothed comb to melt the wax and pull it out.

Depends on how much you use, etc. Murray's is wonderful stuff. A little bit can do a heck of a lot. Sure, if you in case you hair in the stuff, it is going to be tough to get out. But why would oine do that?

Last edited:
Am I the only one who saw the limited edition Obama can on their site...?!?!?!

Murray's is great stuff... It smells like WD-40 and flowers... I used to use it to hold my mohawk.... Of course,, once hair gets longer than a few inches,, Murray's won't hold it up all day....

Back when I had hair and was wearing it 'waved up', Murray's was all I needed. In fact,b4 usage, I would heat the can up until it was liquid and then just stick 2 fingers in up to the first knuckle and then rub it in. After that brush away and make the ladies seasick.

A can used in this fashion would last 4-5 months.

marty

Top Bottom