What's new

Murray's pomade

I just picked up some of the Murray's pomade. WOW! :biggrin:

This stuff is really stiff, perfect for my springy hair. I picked it up at Wal-Mart, the amazing thing is that the American Crew pomade that I was using (I am able to get for $6) retails for $15.99 and the Murray's, which works better is a mere $1.97.

I find this quite amazing.

While I have no top knot for the pomade (you guys with hair irritate me to no end :biggrin:) I do often find myself wondering if one of these old school pomades would work for twisting up my handlebar moustache or is it not "stiff" enough?

After using Murray's I don't know that you'd want to use this particular pomade on the mustache. While not overwhelming, it does have a prominent scent.

royal crown and dax short and neat are my go to pomades, also use oil based hair tonics, keeps things nice and slick and greasy

What kind of hold/shine does the dax short and neat give?? pretty decent scent?? I have used Royal Crown before but it gets all over everything and can be hard to get off my hands

What kind of hold/shine does the dax short and neat give?? pretty decent scent?? I have used Royal Crown before but it gets all over everything and can be hard to get off my hands

The Short and Neat is much easier to work with compared to RC. It has a decent hold, as well. Like the name implies, it doesn't work too well on longer hair, though, so you'd have to go to something a little stronger like the Super Hold High and Tight.

Overall I'd give Short and Neat a 5/10 in terms of strength and shine.

The Short and Neat is much easier to work with compared to RC. It has a decent hold, as well. Like the name implies, it doesn't work too well on longer hair, though, so you'd have to go to something a little stronger like the Super Hold High and Tight.

Overall I'd give Short and Neat a 5/10 in terms of strength and shine.

Thanks ClubmanRob. I like using Groom and Clean, but on windy days sometimes I need a little more hold but still wanna be able to comb it and keep a nice shine to it. I have also hear the Dax Green and Gold is good, have you tried it??

Nancy Boy!

It thins in the palms with a little water, holds well without being greasy, crunchy or fly away once mussed up.

I don't think I've tried the true pomades discussed previously, as I always had unsatisyingly used Paul Mitchell and many other mousses and gels.

But, oh, wouldn't I want to be a Dapper Dan Man!

Roger

After using Murray's I don't know that you'd want to use this particular pomade on the mustache. While not overwhelming, it does have a prominent scent.

Wow, this is interesting. The Murray's I have has virtually no fragrance or any other smell, objectionable or not, at all. Utterly neutral smelling. The side of the can lists fragrance as an ingredient, but my scentless face balm has more smell to it than my can of Murray's. Says basically that it is made of petroleum jelly and mineral oil, as I recall. Definitely has no smell as strong as say Vaseline or anything that smells like Vaseline to it at all. And this is with rubbing it between my hands to get it warm to put it on.

The Axe pomade, for instance, has a lot more aroma.

As an African American, I'm aware of a lot of products aimed at holding and controlling hair. Murray's and Royal Crown are medium-light hold at best. If you really wanna go hard core try a product called 360 Style. It's cheap enough to PIF or even toss in the trash if it doesn't agree with you AND it's water soluble so it washes out fairly easily. If you're into You Tube, look at some of the clips under the heading 360 Waves. Believe it or not, those clips led me to B&B. Eager to know your thoughts. Oh, and if this stuff doesn't hold a handlebar mustache in place, nothing will.

Oh, and if this stuff doesn't hold a handlebar mustache in place, nothing will.

Thanks for the steer. Will definitely pick some of this stuff up. I've experimented with some of the spiking gels my son uses and great hold but they're very sticky and make my moustache feel like I dipped it in starch. I may just have to purchase a wave cap while I'm at it. A bald white man purchasing these products would undoubtedly produce a priceless looks from the cashier. :lol::lol:

How does the American Crew compare to Murray's? Where do you pickup Murray's, I've never heard of it.

I'm also looking for a new product to try. I have the springiest hair known to man, and it's difficult to manage for sure. I use American Crew now, because of a discount, but I've never been satisfied with anything I've tried.

Picked up some Murray's at Walmart the other day. $2 is a pretty good deal.

Look for it with the African American hair products.

Just a little side note I wished to add:

On a whim I picked up the new Gillette pomade and the Axe Pomade, and this stuff is STIFF. What I like about parrafin-based hair waxes like Dax and Murrays is that once you put it in your hair, you can still style it while it's in the process of drying; in fact, it never really gets completely dry anyway.

On the other hand, the problem I have with the "modern" Pomades like Gillette, Axe and American Crew is that they dry to concrete. That's fine if you have pretty short hair that needs to just be combed, but if you're flipping back a pompadour like me it turns into a major PITA.

I guess my point is that I'm much more satisfied with the old school "greaser" pomades than I am the new "preppy" style pomades. Oh, and if you like American Crew but hate paying the price for it, try out Gillette and Axe, as they're pretty much the same stuff IMO.

On a whim I picked up the new Gillette pomade and the Axe Pomade, and this stuff is STIFF. What I like about parrafin-based hair waxes like Dax and Murrays is that once you put it in your hair, you can still style it while it's in the process of drying; in fact, it never really gets completely dry anyway.

On the other hand, the problem I have with the "modern" Pomades like Gillette, Axe and American Crew is that they dry to concrete. That's fine if you have pretty short hair that needs to just be combed, but if you're flipping back a pompadour like me it turns into a major PITA.

I guess my point is that I'm much more satisfied with the old school "greaser" pomades than I am the new "preppy" style pomades. Oh, and if you like American Crew but hate paying the price for it, try out Gillette and Axe, as they're pretty much the same stuff IMO.

Yeah American Crew products are expensive, there is one Crew product that does not dry like concrete it their American Crew Grooming Cream, it has decent hold and leaves a high shine that can be easily combed and stays slick

royal crown and dax short and neat are my go to pomades, also use oil based hair tonics, keeps things nice and slick and greasy

Yes indeed, one trick I used to find helpful when I had a pompadour, after I would put on the top coat of royal crown I would add a layer of Jeris Hair Tonic w/oil and OMG my hair would shine like patent leather and stay slick and greasy even the next morning.

As an African American, I'm aware of a lot of products aimed at holding and controlling hair. Murray's and Royal Crown are medium-light hold at best. If you really wanna go hard core try a product called 360 Style. It's cheap enough to PIF or even toss in the trash if it doesn't agree with you AND it's water soluble so it washes out fairly easily. If you're into You Tube, look at some of the clips under the heading 360 Waves. Believe it or not, those clips led me to B&B. Eager to know your thoughts. Oh, and if this stuff doesn't hold a handlebar mustache in place, nothing will.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just grabbed some "360 Style." Will report further when I have more experience with it. So far. love the idea of easy wash out. This stuff has a lot of fragrance, which I am not so crazy about, not that it smells bad I just do not want competition with other stuff I am wearing, but fragrance seems to fade fast, which I do like. Very different initial texture out fo the can than Murray's or Royal Crown. Can't tell yet whether it dries out hard or otherwise or not or stays a creamy texture in my hair. All of these products have very cool packaging! Great looking can. All of these things look great on the shelf in the shave den.

Anyway, more later with experience.

Any thoughts on what from the "Ethnic" section of the local CVS might bring up the shine like these other guys are looking for? I am not necessarily looking for lots of shine myself, and definitely not looking for a greasy look, although I understand the draw to that look for sure, and I am guessing some of those products will deliver whatever one wants.

I am mightily impressed with the quality of these products so far at any price.

Further report on 360 Style

After some experience with it: Stays creamy in hair. Fragrance definitely fades quickly. Does wash out easily. Good hold. I cannot really tell about shine. Useful that it can go on easily in damp hair.

I like the Murray's better. I put it on very lightly, and it holds like the dickens, and is not at all greasy. I am not looking for shine, at least so much, and I do not see that the Murray's in the amount I use does much for shine. Also in the amount I use it seems to wash out easily.

I would guess that if one is looking for a greasy shiny look, the 360 Style might be great.

+1 on the Royal Crown. I like the smell myself, and it can be used thick or rubbed between your palms to thin it. Lasts a long time, and comes in a classic container.

proxy.php

+1 Use a lot if you want shiny hair (better for longer hair) or less if all you need is a little control and less shine (better for shorter hair). Using less on shorter hair makes for manageable hair that looks natural and not greasy.

I used to use the Axe. It is very stiff. It's hard to soften in your hands and harder to work into your hair. Once you get the deed done it is stiff and not at all manageable.

Purchased some 360 Style yesterday and initial results have been good. It's not as stiff as Oregon Wild Hair but does a good job of grooming and holding my handlebars in place. It's available locally, very affordable and I think a tub of this stuff will last me a very long time. The scent is much more pronounced than Pinaud Clubman or Oregon Wild Hair but I don't find it at all objectionable. Overall, I'd say this one is a keeper.

I typically use Top Brass Hair Creme, I use the red tube. Very nice light scent and great hold moderate wetlook. I had been considering switching to a pomade or a wax, I have long hair for being in the military, but I maintain a neat and well groomed apearance, so no one says anything. Any how the meat and potatoes--> You pomp guys, how do you comb the pomade/wax into your hair, I have a lot of hair, and i tried to comb some in a while back and it was so difficult I couldn't make any progress. Then it was a few days before I got it all washed out of my hair. How do you take on these two issues?

Top Bottom