What's new

Murray Carter/Shaving right off of chromium oxide?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Of course you can hone spine-leading. You can hone outside in a hurricane. You can hone in a bouncy castle. You can hone standing in a giant washtub full of ketchup. You can hone on a well lapped brick, or on the bottom of a coffee mug. You can hone in the shower or covered with teriyaki sauce.
I started to recall Green Eggs and Ham

Not on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!
I would not, could not, in a box.
I could not, would not, with a fox.
I will not eat them with a mouse
I will not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them here or there.
I will not eat them anywhere.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Legion

Staff member
And.... here we go again.

MC seems like a very good knife maker.

I am happy with my knife edges when they are un-stropped.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, from long experience, the edge of my razor feels better if it hits a strop between the stone and my face. YMMV, if a guy on youtube has convinced you otherwise, then there is probably no point suggesting you try both methods yourself to compare.

But you should.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Knives are not razors and cannot be honed the same way with equal results. I believe that Misters Carter and Schecter are in error from lack of razor experience.

I also wonder about the ‘revivalist’ with 13 posts, questionable motives, lol.

Knives are not razors and cannot be honed the same way with equal results. I believe that Misters Carter and Schecter are in error from lack of razor experience.

I also wonder about the ‘revivalist’ with 13 posts, questionable motives, lol.
Exactly. Posts like that always scream trolling to me. At the end of the day if the revivalist feels the not stroping gives him a better edge then enjoy those shaves in good health.I will keep stroping my razors.

I am sure i could shave with a spoon, if I were to make a genuine effort to do so. That doesn't mean that when I say something that absolutely is not true, that it must be true anyway just because I can shave with a sharpened spoon.

Pretty sure no member here does YT for money. So?

Of course you can hone spine-leading. You can hone outside in a hurricane. You can hone in a bouncy castle. You can hone standing in a giant washtub full of ketchup. You can hone on a well lapped brick, or on the bottom of a coffee mug. You can hone in the shower or covered with teriyaki sauce. Mostly we do none of those things, and 95% of our honing is conventional edge leading, with no attempt to be different just for the sake of being different, and always assuming that the way it is normally done is the way to do it unless proven otherwise or we just want to experiment, even though every possible experiment you can think of has probably already been performed.

I do not find that anyone who advocates not stropping to be credible in the least. That's like saying one should never disengage the clutch when driving, or one should never use a whisk to beat eggs, or one should always make a point to shoot with the non-dominant eye or always fish with a barbless hook. Many things are possible, but many of those possible things are somewhat less than optimal.

I have shaved without stropping. I have most definitely not found it to be a magnificent experience. In fact the shave without stropping definitely is missing something, and by the third shave with no stropping, the shave quite frankly, sucks. Ditto, shaving right off CrOx or in fact any other abrasive.

Feel free to toss your strops. The massive strop manufacturing mega-corporations will not miss your business all that much. Nobody fears that you will lead a mass exodus from the tyranny of the strop. But on the other hand, I doubt if many guys here will ever take you seriously again on this forum. Stropping is part of shaving, if you shave with a straight razor. Those who use anything other than a clean hanging strop for pre-shave stropping are a minority and they have their reasons. Not one will say, I venture, that their reason is because Howard Schecter or Murray Carter is his youtube hero and idol.

Thanks for your novel, could deal with a more mature response, assuming you're not 12. Wooden base strops are superior to hanging strops, you can mumbo jumbo around as much as you wish. It's a fact. I know you have your fathers image sharpening on a hanging strop, it's fine I am nostalgic myself, doesn't mean it was correct. Like now, then also, everyone just did what they thought or heard was correct. Don't think they had much time to overthink honing a SR "on forums" in the last part of the industrial age. They bought a barber stone or used their belt.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks for your novel, could deal with a more mature response, assuming you're not 12. Wooden base strops are superior to hanging strops, you can mumbo jumbo around as much as you wish. It's a fact. I know you have your fathers image sharpening on a hanging strop, it's fine I am nostalgic myself, doesn't mean it was correct. Like now, then also, everyone just did what they thought or heard was correct. Don't think they had much time to overthink honing a SR "on forums" in the last part of the industrial age. They bought a barber stone or used their belt.

Your defense of Murray Carter and stropless shaving on this of all forums is pretty funny, with only a dozen posts behind you. Now run along and play. And stay out of the street.

I like Murray, but sadly, he's gone from telling you what you need to sharpen to convince you to step into the Nano Hone Pond. "C'mon in the water's fine."

I have his sharpening vids that he used to sell. I think they are now free. Quite good even when paying.

I discovered C.M and Perfect edge's old vids THIS year, wanted to search around to see if they are on forums, since their methods work for me for refreshing, but ok if you want to feel good "he has been telling me how to hone for 11 years". I didn't bring up the hard backed honing, since previous posts mentioned it already. What I specifically said was concerning hanging strops, I like how they look too, better than the paddle strops but do they work better? Unless you put them on a table, No.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I discovered C.M and Perfect edge's old vids THIS year, wanted to search around to see if they are on forums, since their methods work for me for refreshing, but ok if you want to feel good "he has been telling me how to hone for 11 years". I didn't bring up the hard backed honing, since previous posts mentioned it already. What I specifically said was concerning hanging strops, I like how they look too, better than the paddle strops but do they work better? Unless you put them on a table, No. And already a bunch of cave dwellers came to show their teeth. Apparently here you have to be on a "team" or the PC teenagers will come at you. :thumbup:

I doubt there is a single member here with any substantial history and activity on this forum who has not tried shaving without stropping, or stropping on a paddle or with the strop laying on a bench or table or counter. And yet, pretty nearly everyone strops on a hanging strop. Why would so many straight shavers try something that works better, and then return to an inferior technique for daily use? You are either a sock puppet or just a troll. I think I will lead the charge here, and put you on ignore.

Wow. Mr (I assume) khianti - this is not a forum for drama. Why are you arguing? If you like that, then fine and no one here will argue with your desire to use that. Many here have a lot of experience and have tried all sorts of wild things like you propose and many more. I too feel that hanging strops are much better with razors and I have and have tried many many different types.

There are no teeth. Don't perceive that just because few agree with you. Please don't bring a bunch of arguing here just because not everyone agrees.

It is a big world. Do what you want. No need to convince others of it. I certainly do not agree with your preference on strops but I also hate black licorice and I am not ignorant enough to think people who do like black licorice are foolish morons.

Supposed to be a civil site for gentlemen. Please keep it that way.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I discovered C.M and Perfect edge's old vids THIS year, wanted to search around to see if they are on forums, since their methods work for me for refreshing, but ok if you want to feel good "he has been telling me how to hone for 11 years". I didn't bring up the hard backed honing, since previous posts mentioned it already. What I specifically said was concerning hanging strops, I like how they look too, better than the paddle strops but do they work better? Unless you put them on a table, No.
The sharpening I'm talking about is as it applies to knives. I've never sharpened a razor. I know MC did some videos on that and it twisted some undies, but I know he has enough experience to sharpen a razor to shave with. Now would it be an enjoyable edge, I don't know.

But these days he's pushing folks to well over $1k in stones if they buy the system to sharpen simple knives when he used to contend you could do it with about $70 worth of stones and I know it can be done with far less expenditure than that. That's the only bone of contention I have with Murray and his methodology.

I guess when on Naked and Afraid, a fire starter is a good thing to have. In shave forums, it just seems you need to utter the name "Murray Carter".

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
sure cause the more thread posts you have the better you'll be at something IRL. :adoration: When some of us had 486 Pc's as kids you weren't even born, or you discovered forums at 50 and think bouncing ideas on them makes you a all knowing hotshot. Either way good day.
No, the more practice and experience you have at something the better you will be. Practice and experience comes from actually doing something, not sitting around watching youtube videos.

Let me ask you, and be honest. Have you tested these theories out yourself? Have you done side by side comparisons, using multiple types of razors, with different grind, steels...? Have you tried various strops, not just a flat and a hanging, but versions of them with different leathers, widths, and so on?

It might surprise you, but a lot of people here are very interested in this hobby, and have been doing it for a long time. They HAVE done all that, and the equipment they have chosen has been based off real personal experience, not stuff they read about or watched someone else doing.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What's up with the handbags at dawn!

Remember that in the end, it's not solving world hunger. It's just shaving!

What I specifically said was concerning hanging strops, I like how they look too, better than the paddle strops but do they work better? Unless you put them on a table, No.

Can't say as I've ever seen a paddle strop hanging from a Barbers chair.

The eyehook on Barber chairs were for hanging strops. If they were truly inferior, surely the people who used them every day and made a living with them would have committed fully to them.
Just sayin'...
Or even better, if there was no need to strop, why posses them at all?

The sharpening I'm talking about is as it applies to knives. I've never sharpened a razor. I know MC did some videos on that and it twisted some undies, but I know he has enough experience to sharpen a razor to shave with. Now would it be an enjoyable edge, I don't know.

But these days he's pushing folks to well over $1k in stones if they buy the system to sharpen simple knives when he used to contend you could do it with about $70 worth of stones and I know it can be done with far less expenditure than that. That's the only bone of contention I have with Murray and his methodology.

I guess when on Naked and Afraid, a fire starter is a good thing to have. In shave forums, it just seems you need to utter the name "Murray Carter".

far less than 70? you mean lapping film?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
far less than 70? you mean lapping film?
No, I mean an India Stone, or the set of Silicon Carbide stones from Razors Edge, a soft Arkansas or any number of other abrasives. I don't do scary sharp for the most part, I only use sand paper on curved tools of mine where flat stones fall short. (in case you didn't catch it, I'm talking knife sharpening, not razors)

Top Bottom