What's new

Murphy & McNeil

I wish he would keep the soft base available. I’ve got two tubs of a very soft base (Ouroboros and St. James), which allows me to scoop into a scuttle, and perhaps avoid bacteria/mold problems.

My tub says "Éisteacht Claddagh" on the side, I was not aware they also have different bases

@Robini and I had tubs of Claddagh that went bad. I cannot say for sure about Robini, but mine was the Éisteacht base. We both contacted Bill @ M&M and got five star customer service. During my correspondence with Bill, he mentioned that he had seen a few examples like this, and part of the reason for going to the harder Aon base was to address that issue. So if I understood Bill correctly, Éisteacht is being phased out and replaced by Aon for duck and tallow soaps.

Has anyone used the AS balm? I'm interested in giving it a try for Magh Tured which I just received and feel it will be a keeper.

Has anyone used the AS balm? I'm interested in giving it a try for Magh Tured which I just received and feel it will be
Has anyone used the AS balm? I'm interested in giving it a try for Magh Tured which I just received and feel it will be a keeper.
Yes, I have Kells and Green Man. I like them both. They are not greasy feeling and the sent is lasting. A little goes a long way. I can highly recommend if you’re a balm lover.

@Robini and I had tubs of Claddagh that went bad. I cannot say for sure about Robini, but mine was the Éisteacht base. We both contacted Bill @ M&M and got five star customer service. During my correspondence with Bill, he mentioned that he had seen a few examples like this, and part of the reason for going to the harder Aon base was to address that issue. So if I understood Bill correctly, Éisteacht is being phased out and replaced by Aon for duck and tallow soaps.

Yes Mike, mine was also the Éisteacht base and was quickly replaced. I used the new Claddagh I received a few days ago, very nice! I can't say enough good about Bill and his customer service, communication, and quick shipping! My only complaint is I wish the scents of most of his products were stronger but that is just my preference.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
During my correspondence with Bill, he mentioned that he had seen a few examples like this, and part of the reason for going to the harder Aon base was to address that issue.

A harder base makes sense to me. It's less wet. Moisture is going to help foster growth of non-desireables in soap. If you compare some of the commercial brands hard soaps to their creams, what you will notice in the ingredients is that many times the creams have a preservative whereas the harder soaps do not. Harder drier soaps without preservatives would just on that basis seem to be more resistant to issues of that nature.

I have the Ourboros and mine has not separated, but does have some really small pieces in the soap. I contacted Bill to ask him about it. he explained that it was an effect called ricing. He did offer to replace, but I got it on sale and am very happy with how it smells and performs so passed on the replacement. I am glad to see a small business guy trying to offer a fine product to people. At this rate of replacements with this and the issues that are happening with GD it's doubtful these little guys will last long.

+1. Love my Gael Laoch, and I just ordered one of the new Fall soaps that dropped today.

Well, the Magh Tured (from the new Fall offerings) arrived today and unfortunately it was a swing and a miss. I did a half bowl, half hand lather and at this point I’m wishing for the scent to dissipate from my hand so I can’t smell it any more. It reminds me a bit of Ouroboros, a sample of which I found so offensive that I ended up throwing away. I checked the ingredients of the Magh Tured and the only common one I see is Patchouli, so maybe I have an aversion to that scent.

Bummer, as I really love M&M soaps. I really need to confirm that I like a scent through trying samples before buying a whole tub.

I did my first shave with the new Aon base Claddagh last night, and I am completely satisfied. The lather worked beautifully, and the scent was pleasing, and as near as I could tell, faithful to the Eisteacht version.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, the Magh Tured (from the new Fall offerings) arrived today and unfortunately it was a swing and a miss. I did a half bowl, half hand lather and at this point I’m wishing for the scent to dissipate from my hand so I can’t smell it any more. It reminds me a bit of Ouroboros, a sample of which I found so offensive that I ended up throwing away. I checked the ingredients of the Magh Tured and the only common one I see is Patchouli, so maybe I have an aversion to that scent.

Bummer, as I really love M&M soaps. I really need to confirm that I like a scent through trying samples before buying a whole tub.

Damn, I wish you would have posted something about Ouroboros. I would have loved to have traded you for a M&M soap which I don't care for the scent. Ouroboros is one I really like and have not ordered yet. Magh Tured is another M&M scent that works well for me.

Any thoughts on the new fall scents? Claddagh has been a favorite of mine since it arrived and I’m finishing up the tub as we speak. Just placed an order for Tobac Finaile since I thought it looked like a nice Fall daily scent. Will post a review once it comes in!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Any thoughts on the new fall scents?
I get it, some of you are really into scents. I generally like them mild but pleasing and not strong. But that statement just made me chuckle because I thought can you imagine our grandfathers talking to each other about seasonal shaving soap scents? No offense meant, just a thought I had.

Damn, I wish you would have posted something about Ouroboros. I would have loved to have traded you for a M&M soap which I don't care for the scent. Ouroboros is one I really like and have not ordered yet. Magh Tured is another M&M scent that works well for me.

It was just a sample. I wouldn’t have thrown away a whole tub.

I get it, some of you are really into scents. I generally like them mild but pleasing and not strong. But that statement just made me chuckle because I thought can you imagine our grandfathers talking to each other about seasonal shaving soap scents? No offense meant, just a thought I had.

That's an interesting thought. Hmmm, can you imagine our grandfathers sitting around talking about razors/razor blades/shave brushes/etc... Different times back then. They most likely never discusses shaving whatsoever.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's an interesting thought. Hmmm, can you imagine our grandfathers sitting around talking about razors/razor blades/shave brushes/etc... Different times back then. They most likely never discusses shaving whatsoever.

Neither do most guys. We're the fringe group.

upload_2019-9-14_14-35-25.png

B&B includes many in denial.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is my new, never yet used Ouroboros.

Is this the right color?

M&M.Soap.Ouroboros.OpenTop.BrandNew.640.JPG

It's not unused now because I just used it for the first time. It was proceeded by a sink face wash with soap and warm water + an application of Grooming Dept Preshave (which is great stuff and may improve all soaps).

When I first opened the jar I thought the incense smell far stronger than I'd expected it. Now - a few minutes after shaving and rinsing well - it's pretty strong.

The incense scent is a scent I associate with some very old, very strong iconic incenses. Frankly, there are other incense scents I like a lot more.

I was hoping for a bit more citrus and not so much incense.

That said, the scent is not overpowering during the lathering and shave. Nor is it bothering me now. I just don't love the scent (so far). There have been other strong scented soap (King of Oud in particular) which I didn't like much to begin with but came to truly love, so maybe this will grow on me.

9-14-19.M&M.Ouroboros.H.Diamond.Kit.Manchurinan.640.JPG

One shave doesn't tell me anywhere enough, but my first impressions of the soap's performance are positive across the board. It seems like an excellent performing soap. The lather has a very light feeling and likable consistency I don't recall having experienced before.

I'm going to use this soap for a week unless I decide not to. How's that for a commitment?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Jim, that’s the right color, and that scent seems to be the most polarizing. I received the Cliffs of Moher today ... and it’s a beautiful, complex scent. Sort of a ‘rocks and green pastures meets the sea’ kind of vibe.

Glad you enjoyed the performance, if not the scent.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, that’s the right color, and that scent seems to be the most polarizing. I received the Cliffs of Moher today ... and it’s a beautiful, complex scent. Sort of a ‘rocks and green pastures meets the sea’ kind of vibe. Glad you enjoyed the performance, if not the scent.
View attachment 1017000

The scent is not a really big deal to me unless I hate it, and then it's a very big deal. I certainly don't hate this scent, and I assume it might grow on me over time.

Cliff of Moher sounds like a great scent by your description.

Thanks so much for letting me know my puck isn't the wrong color. I didn't think it was off, but it's great to be assured it's right. It's not a usual puck color that's for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom