What's new

Murphy & McNeil

Well, I sent Bill an email today explaining my concern. Shortly after, I received an email explanation of possible reasons why the gelatinous accumulation happened and that a new tub was on it's way. At the same time, I received an email confirmation that a new tub was on it's way.

Customer service just doesn't get any better than that! Well done M&M, well done!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Well, I sent Bill an email today explaining my concern. Shortly after, I received an email explanation of possible reasons why the gelatinous accumulation happened and that a new tub was on it's way. At the same time, I received an email confirmation that a new tub was on it's way.

Customer service just doesn't get any better than that! Well done M&M, well done!
Yup, he’s playing the long game quite well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just checked. My Claddaugh and Crann Beth are fine...

Now my DG Pure Lavender has lost its scent, but that's another story.

AA

I recently got the 1/2 oz sample of Green Man. My expectations ran more towards a soft puck or something a little more solid. When I tore off the top of the package, I was able to squeeze out a sticky, goopy mass of stuff that wouldn't conform to the little bowl I wanted to store it in. Trying to pack it down evenly across the bottom of the container, it was a sticky mess. In use, little "chunks" attached to the brush, making it difficult to apply evenly to the brush. It lathered pretty well, but was more work than worth it to control the right consistency; it didn't look at all like the pictures of the more solid bowl product others have posted here.

I heated up the gloppy mass with a hairdryer & a dry skin formed on top, allowing it to be pushed down to the bottom of the little bowl without adhering to my fingers. I'm letting it cool & I'll wager that, with it a little drier and maybe no longer sticky it will be more manageable.

I wanted to try something with kaolin in it, and a sample of the Cat Sidhe on its' way to me. Once I fight it out of the flat package, the hairdryer treatment should make it more manageable.

If it were up to me, I'd package it in a longer, narrow package in order to make squeezing it out less messy.

I’ve not had any issues with my tubs of soft M&M soap, but I’m pleased to read of the customer service from M&M. I suspect he’ll be a survivor, given the winning combo of great product (or at least fixable) and great customer service.

I have not had any issues either. There are 4 tubs of the original M&M softer base in my den, and haven’t had a problem with any of them.
As I scoop and bowl lather, I actually prefer the soft consistency of these soaps.

Plus one on the original formula .I am in the same camp. I scoop and bowl lather as well .Its also easy if you face lather when in a hurry .

I have a puck of 'Mandate from Heaven' and 'Ouroboros' in the "old" soft base and while neither puck has separation issues like the one shown here in this thread, my Ouroboros has turned very dark brown in color. Scent is perfectly normal though, so nothing off about it. MOH looks and smells like it did on day 1.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not tried this soap, but I'm thinking about it. This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone.

It's hard to believe I'm even considering a new soap. I like my Grooming Dept soaps just fine, and I'm certainly not fixing to run out of them or other good and not so good soaps. Gracious, I have boxes of soaps! If I've learned anything about soaps it's this: The most expensive soaps are the ones you don't use.

Should I try M&M? Maybe, but then which base and which scent?

I'm only interested in M&M because it appears it might be as good as or better than GD in post shave (or what somebody called post-post shave) without giving up slickness, ghost lather, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Should I try M&M? Maybe, but then which base and which scent?

Yes, you should really try M&M...

All of the scents are pretty approachable with the exception of Ouroboros (in my opinion)

Here's the tubs I've purchased with my quick thoughts on each:

- Green Man (complex, earthy/green fougere)... hard to beat this one!
- Claddagh (very light, clean scent)
- Garda Siochana (modern cologne scent)
- Slainte St. James (oatmeal cookie, orange, vanilla... and stout beer!)
- Gael Laoch (aquatic, woody)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, you should really try M&M...

All of the scents are pretty approachable with the exception of Ouroboros (in my opinion)

Here's the tubs I've purchased with my quick thoughts on each:

- Green Man (complex, earthy/green fougere)... hard to beat this one!
- Claddagh (very light, clean scent)
- Garda Siochana (modern cologne scent)
- Slainte St. James (oatmeal cookie, orange, vanilla... and stout beer!)
- Gael Laoch (aquatic, woody)

I ordered one.

Murphy_and_McNeil_Ouroboros_Shaving_Soap_1600x.jpeg

I know it's relatively strong. I think I'll like the scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I corresponded with Bill via email last night, and by the time I awoke this morning, a shipment of replacements for all three jars was already on the way!

I asked Bill if there was anything I should pass along - he does not have privileges to post here - and his response was the first class sort of reply I expected: "... it’s simply important to me that folks know I’ll work with them on issues regardless of the cause. I’ve bought back a soap even if someone just didn’t like the scent or an ingredient (fragrance, lanolin etc) did not agree with their skin. Every situation is different requiring dynamic solutions. So my policy, broadly, is to take care of folks!" For example, it happens that in my case all three soaps were currently available in the new Aon base. Among other improvements, the Aon base addresses issues discussed in this thread, so Bill was able to ship me replacements immediately. Your situation might be different.

In any case, Bill asked me to let people know he can be reached at [email protected] and to please contact him if you are having issues with your soap.

How's that for top-shelf customer service!

The replacement jars arrived around lunchtime yesterday. I'd call that 2 1/2 business days between a Monday night email to a guy in Texas and a Thursday noon delivery to a customer in Virginia.

That's gotta be as good as it gets.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I used GD for a week, as has been suggested. Stellar. But this morning I fired up the M&M Gael Laoch, and I’ve concluded that for me, M&M is superior in performance, post-shave and value.

Top Bottom