What's new

Murphy & McNeil

M&M's 'basic' Aon base is just fantastic. Even as a fan, my real take is if you like B&M, you'll like M&M. So many more people know about Barrister and Mann. M&M is just as good. From there, it's all about finding the scent you like, because the performance is on par between them. My two cents. And I love my M&M and B&M soaps and will continue to buy more even if it means I never see the bottom of any soap tub!

Hah, I say 'so many more' above. Sometimes I live too much in my DE/soap head world. Yeah, it's a small market in the end, if only for now. But then, I really think even cartridge razors would enjoy a good soap and brush--that's how I started down this path last century.

Agree with this take exactly. Very similar to BM but not the same. It seems to perform slightly better than BM in some ways and slightly worse and others but even overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
BDLM (Kodiak) arrived today. Scent is strong off the puck — notes of honey, patchouli, cinnamon dominate — a very masculine, earthy accord. I like it and expect it to evolve during the shave. Of course, the Kodiak base needs no additional description.
image.jpg

Well, I am bummed — two shaves in with this soap and I think the cinnamon is irritating my face. This happened with Catie‘s Bubbles LPV also. I think I’ll have to re-home this puck, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear Hannah's Dad. That's a real letdown.

Why in the world do soap makers put cinnamon (fragrance) in soaps. Do they not realize it will irritate probably half of the people who use it?

Well, I am bummed — two shaves in with this soap and I think the cinnamon is irritating my face. This happened with Catie‘s Bubbles LPV also. I think I’ll have to re-home this puck, unfortunately.
I’m sorry to hear that. You might consider replacing it with the BDLM2, which is also Kodiak-based but with a different scent profile. It‘s a cologne scent also, but this one a dupe of Tom Ford For Men.....no cinnamon, to my knowledge. It’s currently my favorite soap in the den.

0E0D67D1-13CF-4139-B143-692D2CF1F2B5.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked up a full tub of Crann Bethadh, which to my nose is similar to Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot. Very nice. I also got samples of Claddagh, Triskele, Trinity, Old Sport, and Garda Siochana.

Crann Bethadh - Winner for me.
Trinity - I'll be buying a full tub.
Old Sport - I'll be buying a full tub.
Triskele - Wife and kids didn't like it. I didn't love it, but I want to lather it up. It has a Chypre type floral note to my nose.
Garda Siochana - This is another that I want to smell lathered. It was ok, but I felt like I couldn't really pick up the notes well.
Claddagh - Just ok for me. Very light, clean, soapy scent.

I picked up a full tub of Crann Bethadh, which to my nose is similar to Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot. Very nice. I also got samples of Claddagh, Triskele, Trinity, Old Sport, and Garda Siochana.

Crann Bethadh - Winner for me.
Trinity - I'll be buying a full tub.
Old Sport - I'll be buying a full tub.
Triskele - Wife and kids didn't like it. I didn't love it, but I want to lather it up. It has a Chypre type floral note to my nose.
Garda Siochana - This is another that I want to smell lathered. It was ok, but I felt like I couldn't really pick up the notes well.
Claddagh - Just ok for me. Very light, clean, soapy scent.

Crann Bethadh is supposed to be similar to Creed Green Irish Tweed.
Trinity is supposed to be be similar to Creed Aventus. Both are popular scents.

Old Sport is an interesting scent. It carries the vibe of pipe tobacco without being a tobacco scent.

Triskele is supposed to be a barbershop type scent; I do not have that one as barbershop scents are not my favorites.

Garda Siochana is supposed to be similar to Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabanna.

Claddaugh has notes of: Bergamot, Mandarin, Green Tea, Blackcurrant, Musk, and Sandalwood. I like it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
M&M has a new soap coming up on May 1st ... Pisgah.

Get the Kodiak while you can!

According to the web site, the scent notes are:

• Scent Strength: Medium
  • Top: Bergamot, Bigarade, Cardamom, Incense
  • Middle: Lavender, Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Peony, Plum Blossom, Tobacco
  • Base: Vetiver, Cedarwood, Amber, Patchouli, Vanilla, Gaiac Wood, Leather, Iso E Super

Like the earlier Nantahala, it sounds like a very complex scent combining fruits, spices, resins, herbs, and woods. I already have two of the Kodiak soaps in my collection, so I might pass on this one, but I admit that I am tempted.

👍🏻👍🏻 Looking forward to this one; love the Nantahala collab done with Black Mountain Shaving and since Im living out here between Pisgah and Black Mountain, I think it’s a “must have”.

Top Bottom