What's new

Murphy & McNeil

What M&M scent comes closest to B&M Seville? Want to try the MM aon base but love Seville scent wise. Perhaps I get my cake and eat it too.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
What M&M scent comes closest to B&M Seville? Want to try the MM aon base but love Seville scent wise. Perhaps I get my cake and eat it too.
I have Seville, too. Whichever M&M scent profile appears citrus-y would likely be the closest.

I have a tub of Claddagh and a sample of Trinity.

The scents are very different. Trinity is a Creed Aventus inspired scent. Its fairly strong.

Claddagh is a much more mellow/softer scent. Its quite pleasing

Thanks for your comments. As I understand it, the Claddagh is a Creed-inspired scent, too....a dupe of the Silver Mountain Water. I am indifferent between those two scents, but I do like the idea of a mellow/softer scent in my soaps, rather than a more “in your face” scent strength.

M&M’s Barbershop scent is Triskele. I used it just this morning. However it comes in the tallow base.

I went to use Claddagh this morning. Upon opening the tub, this is what I found. There is a gelatinous collection in what was the bottom of the tub. My soaps are stored in a drawer on their side where the temperature varies between 68 and 72 degrees F. Is this normal? I have close to 40 soaps stored in the same place/same way and none of them have anything like this happening.

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
I went to use Claddagh this morning. Upon opening the tub, this is what I found. There is a gelatinous collection in what was the bottom of the tub. My soaps are stored in a drawer on their side where the temperature varies between 68 and 72 degrees F. Is this normal? I have close to 40 soaps stored in the same place/same way and none of them have anything like this happening.

Egads!!! :yikes:

I think a lot of amateurs are trying to cash in on the newest artisan soap craze and we must realize that they are not trained organic chemists and that sometimes they get things wrong. "Cough...Grooming Dept.".

I just looked, and mine has gelatinous deposits too, but mostly on the rim and lightly scattered elsewhere. FWIW, my tub still smells fine, but I would like to know what is going on and if it is still safe to shave with this.

Also, I have dried Claddagh before storing, and stored it in a closet with other soaps.

CLADDAGH 2019-09-02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big Murphy and McNeil fan, and I own seven (7) M&M soaps: Bad Mor, Claddagh, Crann Bethadh, Garda Síochána, Mandate of Heaven, Ouroboros, and Trinity. After discovering "gelatin" on the Claddagh, I checked my other six soaps, and found this (TOP = Garda Siochana, BOTTOM = Ouroboros).

M&M Garda Siochana 2019-09-02.jpg

M&M Ouroboros 2019-09-02.jpg

FWIW, these two and the Claddagh are all tallow and duck soaps. Crann Bethadh is also tallow and duck, but mine has never been wet in the tub versus having lather scraped into a bowl.

I am very sorry to report this, but that is part of what forums are for. Nevertheless, I think it should be viewed in a calm and wide perspective. As for me, I'm still a big M&M fan, and I do not expect that to change.

I had the same experience but without storing the soap on its side. When my soap arrived it was in the mailbox when the temperature was 105 degrees. The soap was turned to liquid from the heat. I took the soap and put it in the refrigerator overnight to solidify. A few days later it began to soften again and a few days after that the gelatin material appeared on the sides of the soap. I thought it may have been from the heat and took a paper towel and cleaned it up. It has not happened again.

I am up to 27 shaves with this soap and have a hole the size of a half-dollar. I don't know if the heat harmed the soap but this soap is disappearing faster than any of my other soft soaps. I will wait until the cooler weather before trying another M&M soap.

Well, that’s kind of a bummer. I’ve been really enjoying my tub of Gael Laoch, along with a few M&M samples. I’ve been trying to decide what my second tub will be. I may hit the pause button on that.

Hannah's Dad

Bill from M&M is quite responsive and, much like Mo from GD, will do everything to make things right for his customers.

I used my Claddagh for only the 3rd time today. I did not see any of the gelatin like liquid on my tub.

I didn't expect it to be so soft even though i have read others' thoughts on its softness regularly. It still surprised me in any event.

I like to load my soaps quite heavily as a rule, but i was being careful not to overload this soap as it appears it would be difficult to face lather if there is simply too much cream soap on the brush and face.

Seeing this on other guys' tubs has made me think i need to get through this quickly now before it turns. We are entering the warmer weather here in Australia so this may now be my focus...

I do want to add, that the soap itself smells very nice and performance is great, so it won't be a bad thing to use this constantly!

I corresponded with Bill via email last night, and by the time I awoke this morning, a shipment of replacements for all three jars was already on the way!

I asked Bill if there was anything I should pass along - he does not have privileges to post here - and his response was the first class sort of reply I expected: "... it’s simply important to me that folks know I’ll work with them on issues regardless of the cause. I’ve bought back a soap even if someone just didn’t like the scent or an ingredient (fragrance, lanolin etc) did not agree with their skin. Every situation is different requiring dynamic solutions. So my policy, broadly, is to take care of folks!" For example, it happens that in my case all three soaps were currently available in the new Aon base. Among other improvements, the Aon base addresses issues discussed in this thread, so Bill was able to ship me replacements immediately. Your situation might be different.

In any case, Bill asked me to let people know he can be reached at [email protected] and to please contact him if you are having issues with your soap.

How's that for top-shelf customer service!

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I corresponded with Bill via email last night, and by the time I awoke this morning, a shipment of replacements for all three jars was already on the way!

I asked Bill if there was anything I should pass along - he does not have privileges to post here - and his response was the first class sort of reply I expected: "... it’s simply important to me that folks know I’ll work with them on issues regardless of the cause. I’ve bought back a soap even if someone just didn’t like the scent or an ingredient (fragrance, lanolin etc) did not agree with their skin. Every situation is different requiring dynamic solutions. So my policy, broadly, is to take care of folks!" For example, it happens that in my case all three soaps were currently available in the new Aon base. Among other improvements, the Aon base addresses issues discussed in this thread, so Bill was able to ship me replacements immediately. Your situation might be different.

In any case, Bill asked me to let people know he can be reached at [email protected] and to please contact him if you are having issues with your soap.

How's that for top-shelf customer service!
Impressive, and consistent with my dealings with Bill. Did he offer any insight into the cause of the ‘jelly’?

Impressive, and consistent with my dealings with Bill. Did he offer any insight into the cause of the ‘jelly’?

A pertinent question @Hannah's Dad.

What he said was "What I believe it is, is some separation of the oils, sometimes it's made worse by extra moisture due to brush loading or a really warm environment over time.", and he added that he had seen this happen with a few of their softer bases, and that was part of the reason for M&M migrating to the Aon base.

BTW in fairness to Bill, I did not ask "Why?", and he was kind enough to offer these insights anyway.

Top Bottom