What's new

Murphy & McNeil

I’ve been working on a sample of Bad Mor lately. It’s their bay rum.

I’ve discovered I really like this scent. The performance isn’t -quite- the same as the Claddagh was. Not worse, just somehow different

The scent, as I’ve been learning to expect from M&M is faint in the soap, and fades relatively quickly. I guess that’s good for a soap.

One way or another, though, these soaps do make for a terrific lather and post shave feel, that’s for sure!

I have concluded trialing M&M for myself.

I was not a fan of Claddagh. I liked the scent OK, thought shave was fine but did not like post-shave. I have given it to my father.

I actually strongly preferred Green Man personally (one of their less popular scents at least as per this thread) which I have kept for myself. I find it's post-shave less drying and secondary slickness better.

YMMV, but Im probably not keen to buy more myself unless there is a scent that takes my fancy in particular as there are other soaps which work better for me personally. YMMV.

I will say I really genuinely appreciate that part of the Claddagh purchase went towards austism research and I have no regrets buying full sized versions of either.

Murphy and McNeil has two soap bases. The standard base used for the majority of their scents (Bad Mohr, Mandate of Heaven, Green Man, etc. ) is good, but not quite as good as the Eisteacht soap base used for their limited editions offerings like Claddaugh and Garda Sochiana.

Murphy and McNeil has two soap bases. The standard base used for the majority of their scents (Bad Mohr, Mandate of Heaven, Green Man, etc. ) is good, but not quite as good as the Eisteacht soap base used for their limited editions offerings like Claddaugh and Garda Sochiana.

I believe there is a 3rd base (or was) found in this special edition release:

Murphy and McNeil Slainte: St James Artisan Shaving Soap, 5.5oz – Limited Edition | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

well, personally, I disagree.

just IME & YMMV

well, personally, I disagree.

just IME & YMMV

Everyone has their own criteria for what they consider to be an elite soap. I consider the Eisteacht base to be one of the best soap bases I have ever used, but once you get to the elite level, differences in performance between soaps depends as much on your water quality and lathering technique as it does on the soap itself. Also, at that level, batch to batch variations in the product may also be significant.

I’ve only tried Claddaugh and while the performance was great, there’s almost no fragrance.

You do have a point. M&M lists the scent strength as MEDIUM, but I do not think it come up to that level.

Many artisans are afraid to make scents too strong because some people are sensitive to strong scents. Although I love to smell stronger scents, my face will not tolerate many of them. Also some workplaces these days have been designated as scent-free due to scent sensitivities and allergies.

The second factor is economics; many essential and fragrance oils used in soaps are expensive. In an attempt to maintain reasonable pricing on their products, the soapmakers have to limit the amount of scent oils added to their soaps.

I like the duck base but for some reason I think St. James slainte (also duck but with stout beer) was the best performing M&M base for me.

I've owned 2 of this artisan's soaps for over a month or so now (Claddagh and Trinity) but only this morning did i actually use one of them.

The Claddagh soap certainly has a nice scent, albeit a light one, and it lathered quite well for my first attempt. As mentioned previously by many, its a soft soap, so to counter any effect of loading too much goodness, i wrung my Big Bruce brush out really well and took to the dry puck. After several swirls, i knew it needed some water so i dipped the brush tips in the sink and went back to the puck. Was starting to get a better load of soap on the brush and dipped a few more times for good luck.

Went to the face and it was relatively sticky/tacky at first, so added more water as per my usual practise, in order to build a nice slick lather. Got a very good result and the scent remained light, but very pleasant. I'm hopeless with descriptors of smells but i know what i do and don't like, and this scent is a very high 'like'.

Performance was also very good. Lots of razor slickness and post shave felt top notch, perhaps even better than my previous Grooming Dept beef and duck fat base.

I look forward to using this soap for the next week or more to learn more about its qualities and nuances.

Performance was also very good. Lots of razor slickness and post shave felt top notch, perhaps even better than my previous Grooming Dept beef and duck fat base.

In my opinion, Murphy & McNeil easily beats out Grooming Dept (any of the bases) in all aspects... and it costs much less $$

In my opinion, Murphy & McNeil easily beats out Grooming Dept (any of the bases) in all aspects... and it costs much less $$
Well after 1 use only, i believe i will end up with this same opinion too. I 3017'd my GD soap so i learnt how best to use it, but will likely only use this soap for a few weeks to get a consistent understanding of it.

Well after 1 use only, i believe i will end up with this same opinion too. I 3017'd my GD soap so i learnt how best to use it, but will likely only use this soap for a few weeks to get a consistent understanding of it.

I like soaps that are easy to dial in because I rotate among 120 soaps in my den. Murphy and McNeil is one of the easiest to dial in. On the other hand, it took me several days to dial-in William's Mug Soap and Mitchell's Wool Fat.. The procedure for these two soaps is so different than most of my other soaps that I only recommend them for people who use these soaps every day.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like soaps that are easy to dial in because I rotate among 120 soaps in my den. Murphy and McNeil is one of the easiest to dial in. On the other hand, it took me several days to dial-in William's Mug Soap and Mitchell's Wool Fat.. The procedure for these two soaps is so different than most of my other soaps that I only recommend them for people who use these soaps every day.

Agree; one of the easiest soaps ever (rookies take note).

180 degrees from Williams and MWF ...

I find Claddagh to have plenty of scent, so your mileage may indeed vary. The other M&M I have, the one with the tree on it, I had to leave the lid off for a few days - it smells nice and clean, but very strong.

AA

I like the scent of Claddagh. Its very clean and somewhat unique. Scent strength is definitely there but overly strong. I'd call it a solid 5 or 6 out of 10.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Agree; one of the easiest soaps ever (rookies take note).

180 degrees from Williams and MWF ...

I find Claddagh to have plenty of scent, so your mileage may indeed vary. The other M&M I have, the one with the tree on it, I had to leave the lid off for a few days - it smells nice and clean, but very strong.

AA

M&M, sooo easy to lather

I posted a thread a while back asking for suggestions for top tier soaps so I could baseline against my existing collection . Though wet shaving for a few years I never explored the software side until very recently so am just now getting my feet wet and getting to know the major players. Amongst the usual suspects within the pantheon of elite artisans that were sent my way, a brilliant soul kindly suggested a knew kid on the block M&M. I bit and bought a tub of claddagh and am 5 days in. Took some great advice from b and b to take dry brush to soap and then add water due to its softness(I watched a video of someone blooming a tub of st James and I about cried watching him poor out all that brown water). After the excess water releases from the brush, the soap explodes onto my face and envelopes me with pillowy goodness. Not a speck of redness on my neck super slick and I love the scent mild as it is.
I'm a find something you like and stick with it kind of fellow, not really a collector. I've got my Timeless TI 95sb, 200 count box of feathers and now any flavor of m and m with the duck fat base. Will be picking up up a tub of st James soon need to offload my other soaps at some point.
I have found my sweet spot and am finally at peace

Last edited:
Great to hear! We kid, but nobody needs a million soaps.

If I had 45 kinds of toothpaste, it would be odd by any account ...

AA

Agreed, no one needs a million soaps, but "just a few more" might be worthwhile. After all, it you have only tried a few soaps, how do you know if there are better ones. I have enough soaps to last for 20 years, but I still like trying new formulas and new scents.

I am saddened when I hear those who tout that "such and such a soap" (names withheld to protect the innocent) is the "best soap ever made", when I know that they have only tried a handful of soaps, and have compared it to soaps that are "average" in performance.

I realize that my favorite soaps will not be everyone's favorite, but at least I can tell people what to expect in the soap as I have compared it to numerous others.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Agreed, no one needs a million soaps, but "just a few more" might be worthwhile. After all, it you have only tried a few soaps, how do you know if there are better ones. I have enough soaps to last for 20 years, but I still like trying new formulas and new scents.

I am saddened when I hear those who tout that "such and such a soap" (names withheld to protect the innocent) is the "best soap ever made", when I know that they have only tried a handful of soaps, and have compared it to soaps that are "average" in performance.

I realize that my favorite soaps will not be everyone's favorite, but at least I can tell people what to expect in the soap as I have compared it to numerous others.

There are indeed many fish in the oceans, and many lands to travel to ...

You know what Socrates said ... "I know that I know nothing (about shave soap)."

I know that I know nothing - Wikipedia

AA :001_tt2:

Top Bottom