What's new

Murphy & McNeil Ogham Stone

I just received a sample of this soap from M&M. I did a test lather tonight to get a feel for the scent (I know I love the Aon base). I really, really like this. From the website, it has frankincense, myrrh, rose, peony, and amber. M&M says it's supposed to remind one of wet stone. Well, I had to Google that. Apparently, it's a thing. The wet stone scent is something people love (I think DG has one called After the Rain).

I don't think this smells like wet stone, fwiw. What I do smell is something I very much like. I get the rose, but it's muted, while the overall scent is floral and masculine and even powdery to me. Count me a fan. Can't wait to shave with it next.

I plan on getting a sample of this one for sure. The description sounds awesome, but I don't like rose if it is strong.

I don't like rose if it is strong
I'll be shaving with it tomorrow morning and will let you know about the rose. My first shaving soap back in the day was Trumper's rose so I am a fan but only up to a point. I will say the scent, to me, is floral but definitely with some spice things going on. I think the amber is giving it that 'earthy' powder scent. I have a trusted core of cologne-based soaps in my rotation, so this one intrigues me.

i would love to hear your take on it once you've tried it. i don't dislike the scent of rose, but maybe I am sensitive to it to the point that is all I smell in certain soaps.

Kinda funny, but I just received 'Cliffs of Moher' from M&M and I think it smells like a "wet stone". Very nice scent... possibly my favorite scent in the den.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Kinda funny, but I just received 'Cliffs of Moher' from M&M and I think it smells like a "wet stone". Very nice scent... possibly my favorite scent in the den.
Bingo! Having been to the Cliffs, I feel it perfectly encapsulates the experience. Truly special.

Wonderful shave this morning; performance was top notch as expected. As for the scent, overall, it's Old Spice with flowers to me.

First aroma is definitely spices plus an additional mild floral note. Then the spice fades and the floral scent comes forward before they blend again into something, to bastardize Douglas Adams, is “something almost, but not quite entirely unlike” Old Spice.

In the end, it’s spice + flowers + earth/musk. But no wet stone, unless in my life I’ve been around all the wrong stones that get rained on. My wife's opinion was that the powder smell dominated.

Worth saying based on my own experiments with family and friends, people sense different things (unique party game idea for the shaving soap crazies—smell this soap on me, or … no, that’s more likely a very inappropriate game for most groups).

Smells like Nag Champa to me. Very similar to DG Harmony. I like it. The M&M hard base rocks. I like it a LOT more than their earlier soft base.

So, I've been using this a bit more, and I'm SURE it smells like a mix of Nag Champa and Arko. I'm being serious. Give it a try for your next shave. I don't think I'm wrong.

Top Bottom