What's new

Murphy and McNeil Kodiak Base Barbershop De Los Muertos

Lately I have been testing some Murphy and McNeil samples that I started testing months ago and some how got derailed. I have used a few samples and so far I am enjoying them. I was checking my email a while ago and I saw that there is a limited release of Barbershop De Los Muertos in the Kodiak base so I pulled the trigger on it. I really enjoyed the sample of BDLM that I just finished testing but I am not sure what base it is. My question is to those that have used M&M soaps what are your thoughts on the Kodiak base vs the other offerings?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Lately I have been testing some Murphy and McNeil samples that I started testing months ago and some how got derailed. I have used a few samples and so far I am enjoying them. I was checking my email a while ago and I saw that there is a limited release of Barbershop De Los Muertos in the Kodiak base so I pulled the trigger on it. I really enjoyed the sample of BDLM that I just finished testing but I am not sure what base it is. My question is to those that have used M&M soaps what are your thoughts on the Kodiak base vs the other offerings?
Glen, the Kodiak base is M&M’s finest offering and I think you’ll really enjoy it. The bear tallow produces a very slick lather with excellent post-shave. Top-shelf soap.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
M&m is definitely quality stuff I tried both bases and have a few different scent profiles. But I can’t make a great lather with it at all. It’s decent but flat. Not fluffy. It’s the only soap I’ve had trouble with now it’s in my head. I tried it recently after digging in the back of storage and same thing. Maybe it’s just a different soap I’m not sure. The scent profiles all smell exactly the same to me also. Probably my nose. So m&m is relegated to deep storage.

Reactions: GMM
M&m is definitely quality stuff I tried both bases and have a few different scent profiles. But I can’t make a great lather with it at all. It’s decent but flat. Not fluffy. It’s the only soap I’ve had trouble with now it’s in my head. I tried it recently after digging in the back of storage and same thing. Maybe it’s just a different soap I’m not sure. The scent profiles all smell exactly the same to me also. Probably my nose. So m&m is relegated to deep storage.
Soaps do lather differently that's for sure. Yesterday I lathered with M&M Tabac Finaile from a sample pouch and I accidentally ended up putting more soap into my Captain's Choice Lather bowl than I would normally, I mashed it down into the rings really well and wet my brush. I used the PAA Peregrino to lather and that brush holds a lot of water (and releases it too) even after giving it one good shake. It took me a good minute or two but I was rewarded with a bowl full of really nice lather that was surprisingly light and fluffy for a low structure lather. It was the classic @Marco method, lots of soap and lots of water.

I agree with @Hannah's Dad about the quality of Kodiak. I have M&M soaps in their old base (not sure of the name), Aon and Kodiak. I find Aon to be top tier and will happily use it regularly but find Kodiak to be a step above. For me, Kodiak has a bit more luxurious feel compared to my top bases and leaves my face feeling amazing all day. I got BDLM in Kodiak last year after hearing all the hype about it and was happy I did, I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

M&M is by far my favourite artisan for the quality of their products and Bill is a stand up guy, he provides the best customer service of any artisan I’ve dealt with.

@South Dakota Guy depending on how old your sample of BDLM is, it may have an ingredient sticker on the back of the black package, the recent ones say what base it is on the ingredient sticker, not sure if older ones do. Another way to tell, if your soap is a light colour it’s likely Aon and if it’s more brown it’s likely Kodiak.

Make sure to let us know your thoughts when you get it.

I agree with @Hannah's Dad about the quality of Kodiak. I have M&M soaps in their old base (not sure of the name), Aon and Kodiak. I find Aon to be top tier and will happily use it regularly but find Kodiak to be a step above. For me, Kodiak has a bit more luxurious feel compared to my top bases and leaves my face feeling amazing all day. I got BDLM in Kodiak last year after hearing all the hype about it and was happy I did, I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

M&M is by far my favourite artisan for the quality of their products and Bill is a stand up guy, he provides the best customer service of any artisan I’ve dealt with.

@South Dakota Guy depending on how old your sample of BDLM is, it may have an ingredient sticker on the back of the black package, the recent ones say what base it is on the ingredient sticker, not sure if older ones do. Another way to tell, if your soap is a light colour it’s likely Aon and if it’s more brown it’s likely Kodiak.

Make sure to let us know your thoughts when you get it.
I don’t see any stickers on my sample pouches. The Tabac Finaile sample that I finished this morning was brownish. Even the lather was brown but it went white as I worked it on my face. It isn’t as dark as my Ouroboros sample which is almost black it is so dark.

I've been struggling to lather the Kodiak base for awhile now. My results have not been enjoyable.
I end up with a VERY thin lather akin to a slightly thickened milk. It performs well...but has absolutely no body. Is this the norm for this soap?
It seems to be a very thirsty soap....but even adding water slowly and adding additional soap if it just isn't getting out of the liquid stage it just isn't producing any body. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get this to work?
FWIW, I've never had an issue lathering soaps. My area's water is naturally soft. MWF, AV, MdC, B&M, TOBS, Mystic Waters, etc. etc. all lather well. No luck with M&M's Kodak base.

I had a puck of the Great bear soap in Kodiak. I could get good lather but it was a hit or miss. It was always slick. A straight razor shaver would love this soap. It is exactly what they are looking for in a lather. It doesn't last I went thru the puck fairly fast. I wouldn't hesitate in getting more Kodiak

Top Bottom