What's new

Multiples of the same razor

I have two ball end techs. Only as they were antique store finds and dirt cheap. Also, one is brass and one is aluminum handled.

I also have two red Rockwell 6S razors. Rockwell sent me a replacement as my initial razor had a small blemish and didn’t want the first one back. 👍

I have the opposite approach in my collection. I want variety and diversity among my razors and the more different they are from each other the better as long as they perform well, hae excellent fit and finish and have a distinctive aesthetic that appeals to me. Therefore I have not bought the same razor twice yet and don't intend to start.

When I find a razor that performs so well that I want a back up, then I go for it.

Fortunately, there are only a very few that fit this category!

I have the opposite approach in my collection. I want variety and diversity among my razors and the more different they are from each other the better as long as they perform well, hae excellent fit and finish and have a distinctive aesthetic that appeals to me. Therefore I have not bought the same razor twice yet and don't intend to start.
Yeah that's me also, looking for diversity, not duplication. With all of the different designs, materials, handles, there's more than enough to keep my interest without duplication.

Who out there has amassed a small hoard of the same razor or have collected different variants of the same razor? And what was your reason for doing so?

I never thought I would succumb to this particular temptation but just before Xmas I bought a couple of additional Rockwell 6S razors so I now have it in 3 different colours... Worryingly, I am tempted to repeat this exercise with the Muhle R41 variant...

I have 5 Gillette Techs, two gold, one silver, one British, one fat handle. Then two fatboys, because you know, they are fatboys. And about 28 other razors. I am sick, I admit that, but it's like an addiction... Once I take my dosage, I feel great.

If it's a really nice model, like a NEW Delux and one can get it at a good price then it's nice to have a backup, just in case. Maybe one of the razors will be used more regularly and the other will be more of a display model.

Otherwise, mostly because the price was good and DE razors aren't that abundant where I live. I should actually just sell those duplicates.

Sometimes you buy a lot (bundle) and get duplicates that way.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I have a Oristo, which is several years old and is said to be the progenitor of RazoRock's Mamba series. So naturally, I added a Mamba 70, which is a great relief in case lightning strikes one.

I'm also a big fan of my Feather AS-D2, and harbor a baroque worry that it, too, might get struck by lightning. Hence, I sometimes scan BST for a backup. Nothing obsessive, mind you. Just slightly neurotic.

As the special ops guys are reputed to say, "two is one and one is none."

I have a Oristo, which is several years old and is said to be the progenitor of RazoRock's Mamba series. So naturally, I added a Mamba 70, which is a great relief in case lightning strikes one.

I'm also a big fan of my Feather AS-D2, and harbor a baroque worry that it, too, might get struck by lightning. Hence, I sometimes scan BST for a backup. Nothing obsessive, mind you. Just slightly neurotic.

As the special ops guys are reputed to say, "two is one and one is none."
This behaviour seems perfectly prudent to me :)

M

member 119848

I´m glad that I´m not alone.

For me, it´s the PAA open comb slant (grandchildren of the german Fasan razors)

At some point, I had 7 of these... I sold and pifed them, but had to collect them again.
FYI, I never had the collector mind set. But I just cannot resist.
It´s probably the fear of losing one that drived me to have a spare in the first place. But I kept accumulating a few, I find them so cool! :001_smile

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_54c.jpg

I got my first FOCS and loved it. So I put a spare away in case something happens and then Fatip released the gold version...

Nearly the same happened with the Techs. First one was a user grade so I put a spare away only to stumble across a pristine Gold Tech.

The Super Blues are just for fooling around, traveling and to get someone started (2.50 a piece).

Bought the Piccolo nicelato, liked it, got a gold version...

I think by now you can see a trend.

My latest insanity of this kind was a Rhodium Gen 3 Aristocrat followed by a 1934 only 2 weeks after I received the former.
View attachment 1211043
View attachment 1211044

LOVELY!! :clap: :clap:

I´m glad that I´m not alone.

For me, it´s the PAA open comb slant (grandchildren of the german Fasan razors)

At some point, I had 7 of these... I sold and pifed them, but had to collect them again.
FYI, I never had the collector mind set. But I just cannot resist.
It´s probably the fear of losing one that drived me to have a spare in the first place. But I kept accumulating a few, I find them so cool! :001_smile

View attachment 1211254
To be fair - that is a very cool collection!

I have multiples of razors that I like, and for a while, if I saw a certain razor at a good price, I would snap it up. So I am embarrassed to say that I have more than 10 Fat Boys, and almost as many Slims, plus multiple Techs, Super Speeds, etc. Eventually I'll probably pass some of them along.

I'm a vintage Gillette guy.

I have multiple SuperSpeeds (48 - 76) but those are different types (No date code, Black tip, Flare, Red Tip, Blue Tip, Black handle ...)

However, I have a lot of Slim adjustables that are all the same except for the year. I have 63, 64(x2), 65, 66(x2) and a 67. I only need a 62 and 68 to complete the set! :001_tongu. I have so many because while people were going nuts-o over Fatboys (little bit of Fonzie humor there), I was scooping up the Slims for a song.

Then people caught on to that so then I switched to Super Adjustables and have 4 of those (89x2 and 109x2).

People caught onto those and now I'm on Pre War Fat Handle techs :biggrin1:

The most expensive one I have of all of these above is the 67 Slim which I got for 16USD shipped.

M

member 119848

That's exactly what I did 🙂 Ended up with a red one and a blue one to go with my original.
...and when they come up with more colours, the RAD goes on! At some point it has nothing to do with saving a backup anymore. That´s where I am. Beware of the trap @samhain666 :wink2:

Top Bottom