What's new

Multiple shaves during the week! YES!

Well,

This may not sound like a big deal to some folks, but for me its very special. My hair is very course, and my skin very sensitive, and shaving more than once a week had always been uncomfortable and irritating to my skin, so i looked scruffy all through the week until Sunday. That was all (before) however...with a Mach 3 and Barbasol for 20 years. Now (after) with a Weck Sextoblade, and a quality shave soap....I am happy to report that I was able to shave after just 3 days growth, without any irritation or razor burn. That would be way too early before with a Mach 3, and would definitely hurt.

I used to hate shaving...it was an irritating chore. Now..I look forward to it...kind of a stress relieving therapy at home. I love it!

Dow

Congrats.

I shaved daily for years, even my off days. As your technique continues to improve, you might be able to get to every other day.

Once you've got your technique in place and have discovered the magic of straight razors you'll find yourself shaving every day falling down the rabbit hole in the never ending hunt for drugs, sorry I meant straight razors.

Congratulations Sir!!! On a fantastic mile stone, as said before get the technique down you will be well happy with the new way of life.
Just dont let anybody push you into this deep rabbit hole like they did with me, but if you do get down here the beers flow free. Dont worry if you nick yourself the odd time is a learning process, the plus side is chicks dig scars right !!!!:a17::a17::a17:

I have a coarse, fast growing beard and very sensitive skin. I cannot go more than 32 hours between shaves and I normally shave about 6 times per week. Some days I shave in the morning, some days I shave late afternoon or evening.

I have found the keys to a close, irritation free shave are:
1. Proper beard preparation before the shave. I normally shower and use shampoo and conditioner on my face as well as my head.
2. Use an excellent shave soap lathered with a good brush. My face is so sensitive that face lathering irritates it, so I bowl lather and paint the lather on to minimize brush contact. I want a soap that is easy to lather, provides excellent primary and residual slickness, provides excellent cushion to protect my skin from the blade, and excellent post-shave moisturizing and conditioning to help my skin recover from the shave.
3. Use a razor blade that is both very sharp and very smooth. I shave with both straight razors and DE razors. The shavette you are using is a hybrid of those two methods. The sharper the blade, the fewer passes will be required to achieve your objective.
4. Shave with proper technique. That means using the proper blade angle and minimal pressure. If you are using an extremely sharp blade, technique becomes even more important.

Excellent words of wisdom and encouragement...thank you!

Since I started to enjoy shaving again over the last month or so...my pre-shave prep has gone from walking into the bathroom and squirting foam from a can into my hand and then rubbing onto my face.....to soaking my brush in my cup with hot water while I shower. While showering, use a moisturizer on my face while I scrub my body. Upon ending, wash my face. Exit shower and dry off, leaving my face still wet. Get dressed, rub my face with pre-shave oil, whip up some lather, brush on lather over the oil. Begin meditation. Ahhhh....Zen!

I just ordered some Tabac soap...cant wait to try it out.

Dow

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
With a properly honed straight razor and decent technique, you should be able to shave every day in comfort, no irritation or other unpleasantries. Even the alcohol AS feels like water.

I know I've done right when the alcohol A.S. has next to no bite. I always get a small twinge in a couple places, but i have had a few shaves where A.S. did nothing to my skin. Its Almost scarry!

I know I've done right when the alcohol A.S. has next to no bite. I always get a small twinge in a couple places, but i have had a few shaves where A.S. did nothing to my skin. Its Almost scarry!

For those with sensitive skin, aftershaves with alcohol and menthol are not necessarily good things to use. They can further irritate sensitive skin.

It’s worth saying as well, soap itself is rough on skin, since it depletes the skin’s natural oils and eventually causes breakdown of the lipids that hold the outer layers of cells together. In general people overuse soap these days. That said, obviously we shave with shaving soaps, but the better ones tend to have moisturizing “skin food” ingredients to minimize the oil-stripping effects of standard soap.

In any case, my own sensitive skin benefited greatly from calming down on washing all the time.

It’s worth saying as well, soap itself is rough on skin, since it depletes the skin’s natural oils and eventually causes breakdown of the lipids that hold the outer layers of cells together. In general people overuse soap these days. That said, obviously we shave with shaving soaps, but the better ones tend to have moisturizing “skin food” ingredients to minimize the oil-stripping effects of standard soap.

In any case, my own sensitive skin benefited greatly from calming down on washing all the time.

Good point. Although I wash my hands frequently to prevent the transmission of disease and contaminants, I only wash my face and the rest of my body when showering and shaving. I love using shaving soaps that leave my face feeling great afterward.

Top Bottom