What's new

Multiple razors: Different expectations

A lot of folks here have multiple razors. I am fairly certaion some of them shave closer than the others. Whereas some are more smooth. Some may require 3 passes to achieve the same shave as others that require 4 passes. However, they may also require more attention to shave than a relaxed shave.

For example: I know that my Sabre will not give me as close of a shave as a Blackbird. Even with 4 passes on the Sabre I can get close to what the Blackbird gives me in 3. The time between the shaves is probably even since I have to pay more attention with the Blackbird since it is more aggressive. Also, I have not shaved with anything as close as the Sabre. Then there are my Vector and ATT SE1 which falls between the Blackbird and Sabre in most categories.

How to people go into their shaves? Are you just in for the experience and ok even knowing that the razor you may be using today WILL NOT give as close of a shave as a different razor in your collection?

I know the question seems rather strange but I am genuinely curious how people adjust with the different results between their razors?

Some personalities like to use the same razor pretty much day after day. Other personalities like to rotate razors daily or every few days. It's all voluntary. I don't see it as a problem.

Humans are pretty good at adjusting. Some guys even change wives every few years without missing a beat. Life goes on. If we let it.
Your wife part made me laugh .. :)

Yeah, I get that it is totally by choice but I was just curious about how people in general adjust to it.

Just another shave that was nice. I feel like if you get a nice shave that you are happy with, all good. Tomorrows another day for a different experience, hopefully just as nice, but different.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Best way to test my razors is a 2 pass shave WTG & ATG with no pickups with just hand feel and it will tell a person right away what your dealing with. Two much stubble feel indicates mild razor. Two pass with not much left indicates aggression & with good efficiency. Also test side by side with a known razor and it should help even more. If you do a complete 3 pass with pickups it will not give a true indicator of aggression & efficiency's of that particular razor from my experiences.

If you have experience, you can adjust your technique very quickly. I hlnestly don't even think about it. I just shave. If I don't overthink it, my body will automatically adjust to the proper technique for whatever razor is in my hand.

I have a large collection to choose from, which can make it difficult. Generally I go on how my face is feeling at the time, if I haven’t shaved for a few days, I’ll go with something aggressive and efficient, like slants or old types. If I’m shaving everyday super speeds and techs are usually what I reach for. Also if I’ve had a rough shave, where I’ve rushed or used an unfamiliar razor, then I’ll remediate with the tech for a few days to let things get back to normal. I feel as if the razors tell me which one needs to be used.

Any adjustments are by reflex. For razors which are less efficient I may do a clean up pass on my head shave using either my Enders Speed or Leaf.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I like to rotate between my razors because all of them have different feel but can lead to similar results. For example, I'm not going to approach my Old type the same way as I do with Tech. I'll probably do a 2 pass shave without cleanup on the old type while I'll do a 2 pass + couple cleanups with the tech. Rotating between the razors helps me identify what I need to change in order to get a good shave with each one.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One razor does the bulk of my shaves. Then there's a couple that I use for travel, depending on whether it's just an overnighter or a longer stay.

Anything else is for the sake of variety, and I know before I start, that I will be compromising on closeness and/or comfort. Likewise if I veer away from my two main soaps and use a sample for a while, I expect to have to compromise so I can have a break from the norm.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Each razor requires me to approach the shave differently, from the perspective of that razor.

In return, each razor allows me to experience the shave from that different perspective.

I no longer chase BBS. I choose to enjoy the feel of the razor in use that day. My technique is adjusted by feel and memory (which, luckily, still seems to be pretty good).

Without chasing it, I have gotten BBS results from mild, mid, aggressive and the Ikon TEK. It is rare that I don't get at least a DFS. Most all of the razors in my Den are capable of outstanding results. They just get there via different paths.

Do I have preferred razors? Of course. These are the razors I reach for regularly and enjoy the most. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Each razor requires me to approach the shave differently, from the perspective of that razor.

In return, each razor allows me to experience the shave from that different perspective.

I no longer chase BBS. I choose to enjoy the feel of the razor in use that day. My technique is adjusted by feel and memory (which, luckily, still seems to be pretty good).

Without chasing it, I have gotten BBS results from mild, mid, aggressive and the Ikon TEK. It is rare that I don't get at least a DFS. Most all of the razors in my Den are capable of outstanding results. They just get there via different paths.

Do I have preferred razors? Of course. These are the razors I reach for regularly and enjoy the most. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I think not being used to the razors is probably one reason why they shave so differently for me. I am guessing here but I think I am going way to lightly (pressure) with the Sabre. I have read that going lightly is the way to go but just feels like the Sabre needs to be giving me slightly closer shaves that it is.

I am trying to rotate through a Gem (Sabre), AC SE (Vector) and DE (Blackbird) without really having used them all that much (under 10 shaves each). Probably a bad idea to begin with .. LOL

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I think not being used to the razors is probably one reason why they shave so differently for me. I am guessing here but I think I am going way to lightly (pressure) with the Sabre. I have read that going lightly is the way to go but just feels like the Sabre needs to be giving me slightly closer shaves that it is.

I am trying to rotate through a Gem (Sabre), AC SE (Vector) and DE (Blackbird) without really having used them all that much (under 10 shaves each). Probably a bad idea to begin with .. LOL

Besides pressure, the other variable is shaving angle.

With the Blackbird, Sabre and Dart, I prefer a steep angle - handle almost parallel to my face. Steep is not the Blackland recommended angle (I believe they recommend a more neutral angle) but it seems to work best on my face. My first shave with the Vector, it seemed to like an angle between steep and neutral with a Feather Pro that is probably a bit long in the tooth. My next shave with it will use a new Feather Pro Super. I'll experiment further with the angle and see if a different angle works better with the Super.

But that will have to wait until Tuesday. It's Micromatic Monday tomorrow and I have to decide whether I want to rock the GEM Featherweight Deluxe or the GEM Jr. G Bar Lather Catcher. :)

Nah, you’ll get there. Just keep using em.

I just switch up depending on the day, and if I’ve shaved recently. If it’s not a multi growth day, either the Vector or the Sabre will work and be fine. Multi growth day and I need to be clean shaven for a while, Blackbird.

Right now I am basing my razor choice on the number of days of growth. GC .84 SB for one day*, GC .68 OC for two days and GC .68 JAWS for three or more days.

*Sometimes two days of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For awhile I enjoyed tons of razor options. Eventually I found my ‘destination’ razor!

Then I decided I would not ’collect’ razors (especially as I was collecting brushes, blades, AS, and soaps)!
So I culled the herd! :a29:

I shaved with the same three razors for almost 4 years (although I was only using the Edwin Jagger DE89 and Merkur Futur regularly for 3 of those). I now have 8 in rotation after 7 years of DE shaving and I may treat myself to a stainless steel one for my birthday later this year.

For me it’s mainly variety and like @never-stop-learning said about approaching each shave differently, enjoying the different feels of each razor and the differences between each shave. I also appreciate the fact some razors in my collection will give me a closer shave if I want one. I went through a phase of having job interviews last year as I was changing career and going from one fixed term contract to the next. It was good to know I had something like the Futur or Mühle R41 that would allow me to shave the night before an interview and look pretty much like I would have done if I’d shaved on the day. I seem to get an extra day of having minimal growth if I use either.

Besides pressure, the other variable is shaving angle.

With the Blackbird, Sabre and Dart, I prefer a steep angle - handle almost parallel to my face. Steep is not the Blackland recommended angle (I believe they recommend a more neutral angle) but it seems to work best on my face. My first shave with the Vector, it seemed to like an angle between steep and neutral with a Feather Pro that is probably a bit long in the tooth. My next shave with it will use a new Feather Pro Super. I'll experiment further with the angle and see if a different angle works better with the Super.

But that will have to wait until Tuesday. It's Micromatic Monday tomorrow and I have to decide whether I want to rock the GEM Featherweight Deluxe or the GEM Jr. G Bar Lather Catcher. :)
How steep is your angle in the Sabre? The site suggest a 20-40 degree angle and was wondering how steep your angle gets?

Handle not quite parallel to my face.
I was really annoyed by my shave yesterday and decided to have another go with the exact same stuff. Sabre with the Personna PFTE (5th shave today) and MdC original sampler. Also, instead of going 4 pass I just went with a quick 2 pass WTG and ATG shave. The results were much better today than with the 4 pass (WTG, 2 x XTG and ATG) shave yesterday.

The one thing I focused on is not to focus on the weight of the razor doing the job but more on how the razor felt like when shaving. Adjusted the pressure on the fly with what felt right instead of worrying about applying as less pressure as possible.

Anyway, I think my shaving is going to be a work in progress. Its one of the 'easy to do but hard to perfect' kind of hobbies. Much like my golf game .. LOL.

Top Bottom