What's new

Multiple razor honing: what's your workflow?

I am curious how you guys approach these situations on which you have to, or want to hone more than one razor. Do you take one razor through your whole progression, finish it, put it aside and start from scratch with the next one, or do you work in stages? By this I mean setting the bevel on all the razors you'll be working on, then go on to the next stone, work all the razors on that one, and so on and so forth?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have only honed multiple SR's in one sitting when putting together a M7DS. I start with the first SR going from start to finish. This is to ensure that my honing technique works for that model of SR. I then hone the others together, all bevels set together, then refined together and finally finished together.

The next month or more saving with that M7DS is then spent further refining each SR as needed to bring it up to the same standard as the best in the set. What makes this interesting is the the best in the set can change from week to week as one or more SR's will exceed the previous best. This ends up producing some astounding SR edges results on all in the set.

Bring all along at the same time. Its more efficient.
You already have the stone in front of you, wet and ready for the next razor.
I do this to 8k then they all venture to whichever direction they prefer.
It just makes sense to me.

When I used to do gold dollars I had a magnetic tool holder mounted with tape over it to avoid scratches. I used to do 6-8 at a time. It's a good system. But make sure to wipe them before placing them as carbon steel rusts kinda quickly. Never had an issue with that but it takes a second to do. And if the tape over the magnetic bar gets water on it then it could be a problem.

I take them all through the synth progression at the same time (all finished at 1k, put the 1k away wipe all blades dry then finish them all at 2k, then 5k, 8k, 12k etc)
Most efficient way by far if you’ve a fair few razors to go through, and you can lap flat and put the stones away once you’ve finished with them so you don’t have to keep swapping around 5 stones for each razor
Then finish each one from 8/12k level individually
This is how I’ve always done it and it works well, I probably do it every month with my test razors to reset them all back to a known point
Rob

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You want to minimize the amount that you handle stones and razors, because if you handle them long enough you’ll drop one or have some kind of an ‘oops’ event.

My progression is usually only 2 synths + JNat. Which two synths depend on the condition of the edge.

Typically I’ll set the bevel on all of them, clean and lap (as needed) the bevel setter, then proceed to the next synth.

I do the early work on multiple blades together. Then each is always finished uniquely. I rarely use the exact same progression from start to finish. I get bored doing the same thing each time. 10 jnats, as many nagura, two coticules, and an ark. Endless variations on a theme.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, something else that might be useful, if I have to do chip removal/corrective honing that requires greater pressure, I will wait until the next day to finish the razors.

It seems that I have some short term muscle memory, and tend to not make the best edges after major maintenance that requires high honing pressure. Clean them up at the mid grit or ready to finish step, and finish them off the next day.

I go start to finish on each razor. I feel like I'm more in touch with the razor this way. Less efficient, but efficiency is a low priority when I'm honing razors. Knives I tend to bring the whole lot through each stone.
I do the same.

"Oh, this one needs a more pronounced X-stroke to reach the toe and heel." Can't keep stuff like that straight if I have multiple razors going through the sequence at the same time.

Also, paralleling the process for efficiency feels too much like an assembly line. One at a time feels like being an artisan. I may not be one, but I can at least feel like one.

I dont enjoy the multiple razors at one level and then all next, it was unenjoyable and felt off. Perhaps if i had a need to push dozens of razors to ebay “shave ready” status, i might go that route, it otherwise i just do everything one by one.

When honing each individual razor my process is pretty chaotic. I do what feels right(namely against my throat) with each individual razor and each type of steel. I bounce between novaculites and slates to shop knows what else. Whatever makes that edge change in that indescribable way but you know it's right. In extremely methodical while honing, but not strictly scientific with my process. Loose experimentation with whatever I can think of has worked well for me. It's how these stones were discovered.

Yup, one at a time start to finish, what ever it takes. Years ago, I tried honing several at one time. It is too confusing and feels more like production work.

I do what each razor needs from start to finish, it takes what it takes.

I do them together. But I’ve never done more than 2 at a time. And I try to match it up so the work will be similar. So I would not want to run a newish razor with a straight edge alongside of an old Sheffield with a big smile that requires rolling Xs.

Another member raised a great point that when doing it this way you want to wipe dry the razor when it is about to sit for a bit. Some razors don’t mind, but I’ve had at least one that was showing minor corrosion by the end of the session.

To be fair, I prefer to work in stages, but that is only provided I have enough time to finish them all. Otherwise I will just stick to one.

I do agree it feels a bit more production work but, frankly, I don't need to feel the artisan side in every aspect of a hobby that is already quite vintage and old fashioned, by today's standards.

I don't mind mixing up grinds and shapes, I find it more interesting this way. It is like a classical concert, how boring (and worrying) would it be if I had to play those programs that cover just one style because I don't want to mix them?

It IS production work. If I were doing one or two it might be different.
When I hang doors in a house I hang them all, Put the stop on them all then case them all.
I guess that's just the way I work. Doing the same thing for multiple times makes the work go quicker, you are in the zone.
Habit I guess.

It IS production work. If I were doing one or two it might be different.
When I hang doors in a house I hang them all, Put the stop on them all then case them all.
I guess that's just the way I work. Doing the same thing for multiple times makes the work go quicker, you are in the zone.
Habit I guess.

No disagreement with you mate. :)

I agree it is the sensible approach and, as I said, I already tick the do-it-grandpa's-way when I whirl that brush in the bowl after having just stropped the razor.

Top Bottom