What's new

Multiple passes: Start aggressive, then smooth? Or vice versa?

Considering a 2 pass shave including clean up, what is better? To use a very sharp blade or aggressive razor for the first pass and then switch to a more comfortable blade or mild razor? OR is it better to do the first pass with a smooth blade / razor and then switch for the second pass or clean up to a more sharp blade or aggressive razor?

That question is not made up - I need to understand what is the better long term solution as I still don't manage to get a close shave without injuring my skin.

Interesting question!

This is especially as I have rarely changed razors during a shave. So take this with a grain of salt!

I have had many fine shaves with a wide variety of hardware, including more and less aggressive razors and a wide variety of blade options. The keys for me are:
#1. To find and maintain the optimal angle for a particular razor, and
#2. NO pressure!

However, I find some razors more comfortable and intuitive. And my blade choice often depends on the particular razor. My preference is to pair a ‘mild/moderate’ razor with a sharp, smooth blade!

That’s what works for me! For sure, others have different preferences. The only way to determine your preferred set-up is to try a good variety of hardware for yourself! And the journey is tons of fun!! :a29:

Reactions: pmj
It's a matter of personal preference. I use only one razor and one blade per shave.

Usually, razor burns and cuts are a result of incorrect blade angle or putting too much pressure on the razor.

I use one razor per shave and I only change blades if I feel pulling or tugging thats assuming my technique feel like it 's correct.

I might suggest an indirect answer to your question. Suppose you are coming off three or more days without shaving. You would surely opt for a more efficient solution over the smoother, less aggressive alternative during the first pass. So, at least in this scenario the choice seems obvious, does it not? So, the question might be would the same principles posed in this scenario apply to the characteristics coming off of, say, just one day's growth? If this makes sense.

Last edited:
I might suggest an indirect answer to your question. Suppose you are coming off three or more days without shaving. You would surely opt for a more efficient solution over the smoother, less aggressive alternative during the first pass. So, at least in this scenario the choice seems obvious, does it not? So, the question might be would the same principles posed in this scenario apply to the characteristics coming off of, say, just one day's growth? If this makes sense.
Good question!

That question is not made up - I need to understand what is the better long term solution as I still don't manage to get a close shave without injuring my skin.
Stick to one razor and blade combination and develop your technique which shaves the stubble without damaging the skin. Good lather also helps the razor annd blade cut effectively. The shave process should be about gradual stubble reduction and 2 passes should get you a close comfortable shave on a daily shave.

My 2.03856 cents:
Assuming everything is prepped, lathered, etc.
Shave with the grain with a mild razor / sharp blade. No pressure: let the weight of the razor do the work. Rinse the blade well and do the same across the grain. Do not flip the razor.
Put a little more lubrication on your skin, then flip the razor over and go against the grain. Again, no pressure. Hold onto the very tip of the handle (away from the guard) if you need to. Touch-up as needed with this side of the razor.

A lot of 'newbie' mistakes I've found come from not having enough lube (cushion) or applying too much pressure.
A cartridge will have those lubricating strips and rubber fins that take most of the guesswork out of a DE shave. So now you've got to stretch your skin and make sure the skin isn't dry.

Then you've got to be sure you're not just dragging the shave cream off (an angle problem) or using the wrong amount of pressure.
Too much pressure = you'll bleed. Not enough pressure = you'll be going over the same area multiple times, leading to irritation and skin feeling 'raw'.

Yeah, I know this wasn't a two-pass procedure. Sorry.

Last edited:
I use 2 razors for a shave for just the fun of it. ( IF I even DO 2 passes)
Example:
Gamechanger .68 first pass
Gamechanger .84 second pass
OR
Feather Stainless first pass
Karve plate B second pass.
OR
Colonial General SS SE first pass
ATT SE .68 second pass.

Lots of fun and I get to play with 2 of my toys at once.
Win Win!

( ''tis is what retired elderly do during Covid)

For the past month, I have shaved with the very mild ATT, m2 open comb. I get a superb close comfortable shave with one pass plus touch up. My skin has been fantastic since I shaved this minimal way. I do use a good soap or cream.

My 2.03856 cents:
Assuming everything is prepped, lathered, etc.
Shave with the grain with a mild razor / sharp blade. No pressure: let the weight of the razor do the work. Rinse the blade well and do the same across the grain. Do not flip the razor.
Put a little more lubrication on your skin, then flip the razor over and go against the grain. Again, no pressure. Hold onto the very tip of the handle (away from the guard) if you need to. Touch-up as needed with this side of the razor.

A lot of 'newbie' mistakes I've found come from not having enough lube (cushion) or applying too much pressure.
A cartridge will have those lubricating strips and rubber fins that take most of the guesswork out of a DE shave. So now you've got to stretch your skin and make sure the skin isn't dry.

Then you've got to be sure you're not just dragging the shave cream off (an angle problem) or using the wrong amount of pressure.
Too much pressure = you'll bleed. Not enough pressure = you'll be going over the same area multiple times, leading to irritation and skin feeling 'raw'.

Yeah, I know this wasn't a two-pass procedure. Sorry.

Thanks, Zig! More than 2 passes is also welcome ;)

The best advice is to be as gentle as possible on all passes.

This is your face we are talking about here!

Top Bottom