What's new

Multi-Purpose Boots Under $200?

I need a pair of boots for when I'm doing yard work and when I'm shoveling snow. $200 is my max. I'd rather not spend a lot on something that I will wear sparingly. What brands should I look at? Thanks.

Ecco, Red Wing, Chippewa or Wolverine would be my choices. Just make sure you get waterproof not water resistant as there is a huge difference. If you go the real leather route Obenaufs makes a great treatment that will help keep the boots in shape.

Be aware that all these brand fit quite differently and when buying them it helps to try them on in a store. 200.00 should be plenty to get a nice pair of boots.

Legion

Staff member
Can you get RM Williams where you are for $200? Great craftsmanship, and you can get them resoled when needed, so they are a long term investment.

They are one of the three Australian bush products that actual Australians who live in the bush would never substitute. (The other two being Driza-bone coats and Akubra hats.)

Of course I have never tested them shovelling snow...

Keen Dallas Wellington. Quality that meets Red Wing, Chippewa, or Danner. The toe guard on the boots is a great feature as it protects the leather from any yardwork related mishaps. 90 day trial guarantee as well.

Ecco, Red Wing, Chippewa or Wolverine would be my choices. Just make sure you get waterproof not water resistant as there is a huge difference. If you go the real leather route Obenaufs makes a great treatment that will help keep the boots in shape.

Be aware that all these brand fit quite differently and when buying them it helps to try them on in a store. 200.00 should be plenty to get a nice pair of boots.

Thanks for reminding me about the waterproof feature. That's important.

Can you get RM Williams where you are for $200? Great craftsmanship, and you can get them resoled when needed, so they are a long term investment.

They are one of the three Australian bush products that actual Australians who live in the bush would never substitute. (The other two being Driza-bone coats and Akubra hats.)

Of course I have never tested them shovelling snow...

They have a store in NY but their site isn't loading so I will pass.

I'm really loving my Clarks. I have the brown leather Shaler. Good for yard work, and nice enough to wear around as a casual boot too.

I don't like Clarks because they like to use white stitching on black boots. I really dislike that look.

Keen Dallas Wellington. Quality that meets Red Wing, Chippewa, or Danner. The toe guard on the boots is a great feature as it protects the leather from any yardwork related mishaps. 90 day trial guarantee as well.

I've never worn footwear with a steel toe. Is it a little heavy?

+1 on the Keens. They don't have a steel toe, it is rubber. I own 4 pair of Keens and love them. Comfortable from the first wearing. I am wearing my Keen sandals now with wool socks and they work great in DRY cold weather. I wear my boots if it is wet out.

I've narrowed it down to Eccos, Keen, and Timberland Pro. I have a contact at Timberland who can get me a top pair of boots for a modest price. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom